This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Injection Strategies to Improve Intelligent Charge Compression Ignition (ICCI) Combustion with Methanol and Biodiesel Direct Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Applications of methanol and biodiesel in internal combustion engines have raised widespread concerns, but there is still huge scope for improvement in efficiency and emissions. The brand-new combustion mode, named as Intelligent Charge Compression Ignition (ICCI) combustion, was proposed with methanol-biodiesel dual fuel direct injection. In this paper, effects of injection parameters such as two-stage split-injections, injection timings, injection pressure and intake pressure on engine combustion and emissions were investigated at IMEP = 8, 10, and 12 bar. Results show that the indicated thermal efficiency up to 53.5% and the NOx emissions approaching to EURO VI standard can be obtained in ICCI combustion mode. Compared with the single direct injection for methanol, two-stage split-injection for methanol can form more precise and adaptive stratifications of concentration and reactivity which significantly increases the Ppeak and HRRmax in the cylinder and further reduces HC and CO emissions. The advanced combustion phase and increased combustion rate were mainly attributed to the slight postponement of biodiesel injection timing. The injection of methanol at the beginning of the intake stroke is beneficial for fuel-air mixing, thereby obtaining a higher indicated thermal efficiency. What’s more, increasing intake pressure from 1.5 bar to 1.75 bar can increase the indicated thermal efficiency and reduce incomplete combustion products. It was also observed that the increase of methanol injection pressure slightly reduces CO emissions and increases the indicated thermal efficiency.
- Guan Huang - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Zilong Li - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Wenbin Zhao - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Yaoyuan Zhang - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Yong Qian - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Zhuoyao He - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Xingcai Lu - Shanghai Jiao Tong University
CitationHuang, G., Li, Z., Zhao, W., Zhang, Y. et al., "Experimental Investigation of Injection Strategies to Improve Intelligent Charge Compression Ignition (ICCI) Combustion with Methanol and Biodiesel Direct Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2072, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2072.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Johnson, T.V. , “Diesel Emission Control - Last 12 Months in Review,” SAE Tech. Pap. 12(724), 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2817.
- Johnson, T.V. , “Diesel Emissions in Review,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):143-157, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0304.
- Guan, B., Zhan, R., Lin, H., and Huang, Z. , “Review of State of the Art Technologies of Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx from Diesel Engine Exhaust,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 66(1-2):395-414, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.02.021.
- Kalghatgi, G.T., Risberg, P., and Ångström, H. , “Advantages of Fuels with High Resistance to,” SAE Int. (724):SAE 2006-01-3385, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3385.
- Kalghatgi, G.T., Risberg, P., and Ångström, H.E. , “Partially Pre-Mixed Auto-Ignition of Gasoline to Attain Low Smoke and Low NOx at High Load in a Compression Ignition Engine and Comparison with a Diesel Fuel,” SAE Tech. Pap. 724, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0006.
- Onishi, S., Jo, S.H., Shoda, K., Do Jo, P., et al. , Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790501.
- Noguchi, M., Tanaka, Y., Tanaka, T., and Takeuchi, Y. , A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products during Combustion, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790840.
- Shibata, G., and Urushihara, T. , “Auto-Ignition Characteristics of Hydrocarbons and Development of HCCI Fuel Index,” SAE Tech. Pap. 2007(724):776-790, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0220.
- Shibata, G., and Urushihara, T. , “Realization of Dual Phase High Temperature Heat Release Combustion of Base Gasoline Blends from Oil Refineries and a Study of HCCI Combustion Processes,” SAE Tech. Pap. 2(1):145-163, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0298.
- Lu, X., Han, D., and Huang, Z. , “Fuel Design and Management for the Control of Advanced Compression-Ignition Combustion Modes,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 37(6):741-783, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2011.03.003.
- Desantes, J.M., López, J.J., García-Oliver, J.M., and López-Pintor, D. , “A Phenomenological Explanation of the Autoignition Propagation Under HCCI Conditions,” Fuel 206:43-57, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2017.05.075.
- Aceves, S.M., Flowers, D., Martinez-Frias, J., Espinosa-Loza, F. et al. , “Fuel and Additive Characterization for HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1814, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1814.
- Ryan, T.W., and Matheaus, A.C. , “Fuel Requirements for HCCI Engine Operation,” 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1813.
- Lü, X.C., Chen, W., Hou, Y.C., and Huang, Z. , “Study on the Ignition, Combustion and Emissions of HCCI Combustion Engines Fueled with Primary Reference Fuels,” SAE Tech. Pap. 2005(724), 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0155.
- Kawano, D., Naito, H., Suzuki, H., Ishii, H. et al. , “Effects of fuel Properties on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. (724, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1966.
- Hardy, W.L., and Reitz, R.D. , “A Study of the Effects of High EGR, High Equivalence Ratio, and Mixing time on Emissions Levels in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine for PCCI Combustion,” SAE Tech. Pap. 2006(724), 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0026.
- Kook, S., and Bae, C. , “Combustion Control Using T-Stage Diesel Fuel Injection in a Single-Cylinder PCCI Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. 2004(724), 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0938.
- Hasegawa, R., and Yanagihara, H. , “HCCI Combustion in Di Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0745, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0745.
- Okude, K., Mori, K., Shiino, S., and Moriya, T. , “Premixed Compression Ignition (PCI) Combustion for Simultaneous Reduction of Nox and Soot in Diesel Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. 724, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1907.
- Inagaki, K., Fuyuto, T., Nishikawa, K., Nakakita, K. et al. , “Dual-Fuel PCI Combustion Controlled by In-Cylinder Stratification of Ignitability,” SAE Tech. Pap. 2006(724), 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0028.
- Lu, X., Ji, L., Ma, J., Zhou, X. et al. , “Combustion Characteristics and Influential Factors of Isooctane Active-Thermal Atmosphere Combustion Assisted by Two-Stage Reaction of N-Heptane,” Combust. Flame 158(2):203-216, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.08.009.
- Splitter, D., Kokjohn, S., Rein, K., Hanson, R. et al. , “An Optical Investigation of Ignition Processes in Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion,” SAE Tech. Pap. 3(1):142-162, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0345.
- Kokjohn, S.L., Hanson, R.M., Splitter, D.A., and Reitz, R.D. , “Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):24-39, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2647.
- Kokjohn, S., Reitz, R.D., Splitter, D., and Musculus, M. , “Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Stratification for Controlling PCI Heat-Release Rates Using High-Speed Chemiluminescence Imaging and Fuel Tracer Fluorescence,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):248-269, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0375.
- Hanson, R.M., Kokjohn, S.L., Splitter, D.A., and Reitz, R.D. , “An Experimental Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. 3(1):700-716, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0864.
- Benajes, J., Pastor, J.V., García, A., and Monsalve-Serrano, J. , “The Potential of RCCI Concept to Meet EURO VI NOx Limitation and Ultra-Low Soot Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Engine Over the Whole Engine Map,” Fuel 159:952-961, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2015.07.064.
- Qian, Y., Wang, X., Zhu, L., and Lu, X. , “Experimental Studies on Combustion and Emissions of RCCI (Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition) with Gasoline/N-Heptane and Ethanol/N-Heptane as Fuels,” Energy 88:584-594, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.05.083.
- Splitter, D., Hanson, R., Kokjohn, S., Wissink, M. et al. , “Injection Effects in Low Load RCCI Dual-Fuel Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0047, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0047.
- Splitter, D., Wissink, M., Kokjohn, S., and Reitz, R. , “Effect of Compression Ratio and Piston Geometry on RCCI Load Limits and Efficiency,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0383, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0383.
- Li, Z., Qian, Y., Huang, G., Zhao, W. et al. , “Gasoline-Diesel Dual Fuel Intelligent Charge Compression Ignition (ICCI) Combustion: Conceptual Model and Comparison with other Advanced Combustion Modes,” Sci. China Technol. Sci. 63, 2020, doi:10.1007/s11431-020-1598-1.
- Huang, G., Li, Z., Zhao, W., Zhang, Y., et al. , “Effects of Fuel Injection Strategies on Combustion and Emissions of Intelligent Charge Compression Ignition (ICCI) Mode Fueled with Methanol and Biodiesel,” Fuel 274(April):117851, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2020.117851.
- Li, Z., Zhang, Y., Huang, G., Zhao, W., et al. , “Control of Intake Boundary Conditions for Enabling Clean Combustion in Variable Engine Conditions Under Intelligent Charge Compression Ignition (ICCI) Mode,” Appl. Energy 274(January):115297, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.115297.
- Zhao, W., Li, Z., Huang, G., Zhang, Y., et al. , “Experimental Investigation of Direct Injection Dual Fuel of N-Butanol and Biodiesel on Intelligent Charge Compression Ignition (ICCI) Combustion mode,” Appl. Energy 266(March):114884, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.114884.
- Qi, D., Lee, C.F., and Lin, Y. , “Effect of Injection Parameters and EGR on the Particle Size Distributions and Exhaust Emissions for Diesel and Biodiesel Fuels in CRDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1612, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1612.
- Raahede, C. , “Particle Characteristics - PAH and Gaseous Emission from Light Duty CI Engines Fueled with Biodiesel and Biodiesel Blends,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1277, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1277.
- Kawano, D., Ishii, H., and Goto, Y. , “Effect of Biodiesel Blending on Emission Characteristics of Modern Diesel Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. 724, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2384.
- Mazumdar, B., and Agarwal, A.K. , “Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Biodiesel (Waste Cooking Oil Methyl Ester) Fueled IDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. 2008(724):776-790, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1384.
- Hariprasad, T. , “Effect of Injection Pressure on Performance of Dual Fuel Diesel Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. 12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2887.
- Xia, J., Huang, Z., Zhang, L., Zhang, Q., et al. , “Experimental Comparisons on Injection and Atomization Characteristics of Diesel and its Six-Component Surrogate Under Different Critical Conditions of Marine Engine,” Energy Convers. Manag. 205(October 2019):112397, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2019.112397.
- Roy, M.M., Tomita, E., Kawahara, N., Harada, Y. et al. , “Effect of Fuel Injection Parameters on Engine Performance and Emissions of a Supercharged Producer Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine,” SAE Tech. Pap. 4970, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1848.
- Dong, T., Zhang, F., Gao, H., Wang, S. et al. , “Experimental Study on the Effects of Intake Parameters on Diesel LTC Combustion and Emission,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2259, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2259.
- Han, S. and Bae, C. , “The Influence of Fuel Injection Pressure and Intake Pressure on Conventional and Low Temperature Diesel Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1721, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1721.