This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Reduxco Catalyst in the Diesel Fuel on Energy Parameters, Exhaust Gas Composition and Rate of Heat Release of a Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
According to the information provided by the catalyst producer, the catalyst with the trade name Reduxco, which was used in the research, is a reaction product of acetic acid, iron, n-butanol, n-propanol and isopropanol. According to Customer data, Reduxco catalyst in a fuel causes a decrease of the energy of activation of the hydrocarbon fuel oxidation reaction, introduces additional OH groups allowing to increase the burning rate, facilitates the combustion of already formed solid particles in the engine cylinder. To confirm this information, comparative tests were carried out (in the Internal Combustion Engines laboratory of the Cracow University of Technology); the analysis included not only the energy parameters and exhaust gas composition of the diesel engine powered by standard diesel oil and Reduxco-containing fuel, but also the indicator charts and rate of heat release in the engine cylinder.
What was used in the tests was a turbocharged VW 1.9 TDI diesel engine, which was powered by the standard diesel fuel and a diesel fuel with Reduxco (0.2% V/V) on load characteristics. The conducted research authorises to present the following, most important conclusions:
- for high engine loads, PM emissions are reduced by up to 30%, while smoke opacity then decreases by over 50%,
- a strong reduction in the exhaust gas temperature of engine fuelled by diesel fuel with Redyxco is observed. Usually, this is associated with the earlier end of combustion, which would explain a 4% reduction in fuel consumption in case of fuel with Reduxco,
- a slight increase in NOx concentration in the exhaust gas of engine fuelled by diesel fuel with Reduxco.
- The analysis of rate of heat release for a diesel engine fuelled by diesel fuel with/without Reduxco, presented in the second article, allows to understand the mechanism of operation of this catalyst.
CitationCisek, J., Lesniak, S., Mokretskyy, V., and Przybylski, W., "The Influence of Reduxco Catalyst in the Diesel Fuel on Energy Parameters, Exhaust Gas Composition and Rate of Heat Release of a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2061, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2061.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Lach , G. , Winckler , J. Specific Problems of Sampling and Measuring Diesel Exhaust Emissions SAE - Transactions 1988
- AVL Procedings 1995
- Stanik , W. , and Cisek , J. The Influence of Cetane-Detergent Additives into Diesel Fuel Increased to 10% (V/V) of RME Content on Energy Parameters and Exhaust Gas Composition of a Diesel Engine Combustion Engines 2019
- Stanik , W. , and Cisek , J. Influence of Cetane-Detergent Additives into Diesel Fuel with RME content Increased to 10% on the Parameters of Indicator Diagrams and Rate of Heat Release in a Diesel Engine Combustion Engines 2019
- Beatrice , C. , Di Blasio , G. , and Belgiorno , G. Experimental Analysis of Functional Requirements to Exceed the 100 kW/l in High-Speed Light-Duty Diesel Engines Fuels 207 November 2017