This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Active Water-Cooled Drum Brake System for Heavy-Duty Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
On account of the traditional friction brake for heavy-duty truck (HDT), the massive quantity of heat accumulating constantly because of frequent using of friction brake system in the long and steep downhill road leads to brake temperature rising rapidly. Affected by structure frictional couple installed in the closed environment of the brake drum, it is difficult to dissipate the heat in time via heat conduction, heat radiation and heat convection, and the heat fade phenomenon of the brake emerges easily. The HDT would be in danger because of braking efficiency descending. This paper proposes an active water-cooled drum brake system (AWBS) to solve the problem. According to the principle of engineering thermodynamics, the structure and size of the back-stretching water jacket of brake shoe and the inner riveted the friction plate of brake drum are designed with restrained of GB 12676-2014 ‘Technical requirements and testing methods for commercial vehicle and trailer braking systems’. In order to meet the requirements of heat dissipation and structural strength for tractor and trailer, the composition and parameters of AWBS are proposed, including volume and type of coolant, radiator size, hydraulic pump parameters, tank capacity and connection type. To verify the performance of the system, the three-dimensional model and simulating model are established to simulate, the simulation results show that structure meet s strength requirements and the AWBS can significantly inhibit the rise of brake temperature, reduce the probability of brake thermal decay of heavy truck on long downhill, and improve the driving safety of the vehicle significantly.
CitationShi, P., Yu, Q., Chang, H., Zhao, X. et al., "Design of Active Water-Cooled Drum Brake System for Heavy-Duty Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1639, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1639.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Peilong, S., Rui, L., Qing, Y. et al. , “Safety Monitoring System for Heavy Duty Vehicles Running on Rampway,” Science & Technology Review 33(4):104-110, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3981/j.issn.1000-7857.2015.04.018.
- Enyong, J., and Boying, D. , “Prediction Model of Brake Temperature of Truck on Long and Steep Downgrade,” Journal of Highway and Transportation Research and Development 28(02):133-136, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2011.553739.
- O’Dea, K. , “Anti-Lock Braking Performance and Hydraulic Brake Pressure Estimation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1061, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1061.
- Yunwu, H. , Assistant Safety Control of HEV during Downhill Driving (Tsinghua University, 2014).
- Ling, L., Shuming, S., Xianbin, W. et al. , “Stability of High-Speed and Turning Vehicle Influenced by Engine Braking,” Journal of Jilin University (Engineering and Technology Edition) 47(01):64-70, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13229/j.cnki.jdxbgxb201701010.
- Beyer, K., Krueger, E., and Sonnenberg, M. , “Enhanced Vehicle Stability with Engine Drag Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-03-04, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1217.
- Hamersma, H.A., and Els, P.S. , “Longitudinal Vehicle Dynamics Control for Improved Vehicle Safety,” Journal of Terramechanics 54(10):19-36, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2014.04.002.
- Runmou, X., Yanxian, Y., Xiaoyue, Z. et al. , “Critical Slope Length Computation of Engine Brake Inefficacy,” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering (04):122-126, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/S1872-2040(06)60039-X.
- Yinsan, C., and Lang, W. , “Study on Mandatory Road Speed Control Measure,” Journal of Highway and Transportation Research and Development 22(10):17-19, 2005.
- Boying, D., Shouen, F., and Shuang, C. , “Using of Truck Braking in Security Research of Long and Steep Downgrade on Highway,” Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology 42(4):656-659, 2010.
- Kai, Z., Desheng, L., Xiao, D. et al. , “Numerical Analysis and Experimentation of a Novel Self-Excited and Liquid-Cooled Eddy Current Retarder,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 29(1):196-203, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/tec.2013.2295218.
- Wei, D., Xiumin, Y., and Youkun, Z. , “CVT Control Strategies for Engine Brake on Long Downhill of Vehicle,” Journal of Jilin University 36(5):650-653, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/S1872-2040(06)60039-X.
- Zhewen, T., and Miao, M. , “Water Demand Analysis in Cooling Circulation System of Brake Drum,” Journal of Wuhan University of Technology (Information & Management Engineering) 37(05):429-432, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3963/j.issn.2095-3852.2015.05.009.
- Xiaolei, Z., and Yuehu, J. , “Analysis and Simulation of the Flow Field Characteristics between the Friction Plate of a Water Cooled Multi Disc Friction Brake,” Journal of Taiyuan University (Science and Technology Edition) 34(03):20-24, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14152/j.cnki.2096-191X.2016.03.007.