This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Root Cause Analysis and Structural Optimization of E-Drive Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
This paper describes the simulation tool chain serving to design and optimize the transmission of an electric axle drive from concept to final design with respect to NVH.
A two-stage transmission of an eAxle is designed from scratch by the initial layout of gears and shafts, including the optimization of gear micro geometry. After the shaft system and bearings are defined, the concept design of the transmission housing is evaluated with the help of a basic topology optimization regarding stiffness and certain eigenfrequencies. In the next step a fully flexible multi-body dynamic (MBD) and acoustic analysis of the transmission is performed using internally calculated excitations due to gear contact and bearing interaction with shaft and gear dynamics for the entire speed and load range. Critical operating conditions in terms of shaft dynamics, structure borne noise and noise radiation are evaluated and selected as target for optimization in the following steps.
Critical operating conditions are detected by a detailed root cause analysis (RCA) including operational modal analysis of assembled transmission, modal and panel contribution evaluation, operational deflection shape analysis (ODS), numerical transfer path analysis (NTPA) and transfer function (TF) evaluation. Based on the RCA result, the transmission housing design is exposed to the new optimization loop using different methods and tools and based on the dynamic loads. The design is optimized with the goal of reducing the emitted noise. The final housing design is verified by repeating the MBD and acoustic analysis. The developed simulation methodology and tools can successfully identify the main noise sources from the e-drive transmission. Followed by design optimization, the emitted noise is reduced, and the design can be improved.
CitationKlarin, B., Resch, T., Grozdanovic, I., and Pevec, D., "Root Cause Analysis and Structural Optimization of E-Drive Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1578, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1578.
- Mehrgou , M. , Zieher , F. , and Priestner , C. NVH and Acoustics Analysis Solutions for Electric Drives SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1802 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1802
- Parmar , V. Di Rocco , D. , and Hellinger , W. Noise and Vibration Effects of Hybrid Electric Vehicles 26th International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ISMA2014) Leuven, Belgium 2014 9789073802919
- Kunert , K. Spannungsverteilung im Halbraum bei Elliptischer Flächenpressungsverteilung über einer rechteckigen Druckfläche Forschung auf dem Gebiete des Ingenieurwesens 165 174 1961
- Doyer , A. How Bearing Design Improves Gearbox Performance Gear Technology Sept. 2012
- Harris , T. Roller Bearing Analysis Fourth John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2001
- Resch , T. , Klarin , B. , and Courtois , S. Gear Noise Caused by Engine and Transmission Interaction-an Assessment Applying MBD and WBT Simulation MTZ-Fachtagung Esslingen, Germany 2012
- Resch , T. , Vock , Ch. , Sopouch , M. , and Hozmec , J. Gear Rattle Prediction Using Coupled Bending and Torsional Approach SAE China Congress Powertrain Simulation Methodologies Shanghai, China 2011
- Klein , M. 2012
- Koegeler , H.M. and Schweiger , C. Gear Noise Reduction for an e-Axle 8th International Symposium on Development Methodology Wiesbaden Nov. 2019
- Diwoky , F. , Hepberger , A. , Mocsai , T. , Pramberger , H. et al. Application of the Wave Based Technique to 3D Radiation Problems Proc. of the LSAME, 2008, Trefftz Symposium Leuven, Belgium 2008
- Pluymers , B. , van Hal , B. , Vandepitte , D. , and Desmet , W. Trefftz-Based Methods for Time-Harmonic Acoustics Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering 14 343 381 2007 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-007-9010-x
- Acri , A. , Offner , G. , Resch , T. , Nijman , E. et al. Dynamic Substructuring for Sources Contributions Analysis in Internal Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1761 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1761
- Haslinger , J. , Offner , G. , Sopouch , M. , and Zinkiewicz , B. Modal Analysis of Vehicle Power Trains Proceedings in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics 2015
- Kumareshwar Panchaxrimath , S. , Zouani , A. , Fernandes , L. , and Patel , A. Topology Driven Design of Under-Hood Automotive Components for Optimal Weight and NVH Attributes SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0834 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0834