This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CAE Support to Vehicle Audio Installation Issues
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Audio CAE is an emerging area of interest for vehicle OEMs. Questions regarding early stages of the vehicle design, like choosing the possible positions for speakers, deciding the installation details that can influence the visual design, and integration of the low frequency speakers with the body & closures structure, are of interest. Therefore, at VCC, the development of the CAE methodology for audio applications has been undertaken. The key to all CAE applications is the loudspeaker model made available in the vibro-acoustic software used within the company. Such a model has been developed, implemented and verified in different frequency ranges and different applications. The applications can be divided into the low frequency ones (concerning the installation of woofers and subwoofers), and the middle/high frequency ones (concerning the installation of midrange and tweeter speakers). In the case of the woofer, it is the interaction with the body vibration that is of interest. Hence, the loudspeaker has to be used in a full vibro-acoustic Trimmed Body model. For the higher frequencies (midrange & tweeter) the body can be treated as locally reacting, if not rigid. The examples of the verification of the speaker model versus test data for a woofer mounted in a car door will be shown, together with applications to woofer installation issues. Regarding high frequencies, examples will be shown of the comparison of different grille variants and the evaluation of the position of the speaker on the sound quality at the listeners’ positions. Future developments will be discussed.
CitationPietrzyk, A., "CAE Support to Vehicle Audio Installation Issues," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1575, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1575.
- Thiele , A.N. Loudspeakers in Vented Boxes, Parts I and II J. Audio Eng. Soc. 19 382 392 May 1971
- Small , R.H. Direct-Radiator Loudspeaker System Analysis J. Audio Eng. Soc. 20 383 395 June 1972
- Small , R.H. Closed-Box Loudspeaker Systems J. Audio Eng. Soc. 20 798 808 Dec. 1972
- Small , R.H. Vented-Box Loudspeaker Systems J. Audio Eng. Soc. 21 363 372 June 1973
- Svobodnik , A.J. Virtual Systems Engineering in Automotive Audio 131 AES Convention New York 2011
- Olsen , M. et al. On Acoustical Modeling and Validation of Automotive Loudspeaker Grilles AES Conference on Automotive Audio San Francisco 2017
- Haddad , R.