This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of interior sound quality in BEVs regarding measurements on the NVH-Chassis- Dynamometer: focusing on tonal components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
The NVH character of any car is highly dependent on its operating condition. With BEVs, it depends strongly on the driving speed, total torque, temperature and state of charge of the battery. For these reasons, OEMs usually want to measure many run-ups with constant torque steps or constant driving speed. The supposed simplification of the powertrain by the transition to electrified drive components and the elimination of auxiliary units poses new challenges for acoustic engineers. Unlike traditional vehicles with internal combustion engines, noise components of electric drivetrains fall into a range of audibility where the human ear reacts particularly sensitively.
During a 3-year cooperation with a big OEM most of the premium BEVs on the German market were measured and benchmarked to get a feedback about their NVH performance. In addition, the desire for objective characteristic values arose.
This paper introduces a Data-Driven Modeling approach for the estimation of sound quality from measurements on the NVH chassis dynamometer regarding tonality. Based on the extensive published research on the topic of prominence of tones in electric car interior noise and the new metric in the ECMA-74 standard, three premium BEVs of the SUV class were examined. In contrast to existing studies the entire operating range formed by engine torque and driving speed was included in the analysis. To determine the most relevant operating range for the buyer or driver, two European driving cycles (CADC and WLTC) were used and the necessary drive torque was estimated using a 1-dimensional vehicle model.
The resulting visualization helps acoustics engineers to find the tonal phenomena more quickly and to make an initial assessment of development priorities. An approach for the structure borne noise is under investigation.
CitationSchecker, D., Deisling, E., and Uerlings, P., "Estimation of interior sound quality in BEVs regarding measurements on the NVH-Chassis- Dynamometer: focusing on tonal components," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1542, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1542.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Albers , A. , Fischer , J. , Behrendt , M. et al. Measurement and Interpretation of the Transfer Path of an Acoustic Phenomenon in the Drivetrain of an Electric Vehicle ATZ Worldwide 116 3 48 55 2014 10.1007/s38311-014-0154-7
- Audi MediaCenter https://www.audimediacenter-a.akamaihd.net/system/production/media/87473/images_file_en/43df75c9507779fb46ab3b0afec100328bf181a6/A1915346_overfull.jpg?1574165105 2020
- Ecma International Measurement of Airborne Noise emitted by Information Technology and Telecommunications Equipment 17th ed. 2019
- Ecma International Measurement of Airborne Noise emitted by Information Technology and Telecommunications Equipment 15th ed. 2018
- Bassett , T.W. , Tate , S. , and Maunder , M. Study of High Frequency Noise from Electric Machines in Hybrid and Electric Vehicles INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings 2014, InterNoise14 Melbourne, Australia 2014
- Lennström , D. , Lindbom , T. , and Nykänen , A. Prominence of Tones in Electric Vehicle Interior Noise INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings 2013, InterNoise13 Innsbruck, Austria 2013
- Lennström , D. , and Nykänen , A. Interior Sound of Today’s Electric Cars: Tonal Content, Levels and Frequency Distribution SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2367 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2367
- HEAD Acoustics https://www.head-acoustics.com/downloads/eng/application_notes/Tonality_Hearing_Model_e.pdf 2020
- Fastl , H. , and Zwicker , E. Psychoacoustics: Facts and Models 22nd Berlin Heidelberg Springer-Verlag 2007 10.1007/978-3-540-68888-4
- Lennström , D. , Melian , A. , Nykänen , A. , Becker , J. et al. Perception of Tones below 1 kHz in Electric Vehicles INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings 2019, InterNoise19 Madrid, Spain 2019
- Sottek , R. and Becker , J. Tonal Annoyance vs. Tonal Loudness and Tonality INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings 2014, InterNoise14 Melbourne, Australia 2014
- Pietila , G. , Seldon , W. , Roggenkamp , T. , and Bohn , T. Tonal Annoyance Metric Development for Automotive Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1467 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1467
- Hansen , H. , Weber , R. , and Letens , U. Quantifying Tonal Phenomena in Interior Car Sound 2005, European Congress on Acoustics Budapest, Hungary 2005
- Lieske , D. , Landes , D. , and Fischer , J. Optimization of the Powertrain Noise for the Electric Vehicle Mercedes-Benz EQC ATZ Worldwide 122 56 61 2020 10.1007/s38311-020-0200-6
- HEAD Acoustics International 2020
- Müller-BBM Acoustic Solutions GmbH https://www.mbbm-vas.com/fileadmin/Publications/Brochures/MULTIMIC_MBBM-ASO_DE.pdf 2020
- NIST/SEMATECH http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/ 2020
- ISO 2003
- UNECE 2019
- AUTOMOBIL INDUSTRIE https://www.automobil-industrie.vogel.de/nefz-wltp-rde-und-pems-ein-ueberblick-a-657992/ 2020
- DieselNet https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/artemis.php 2020
- Porsche Engineering Magazin https://www.porscheengineering.com/filestore/download/peg/de/pemagazin-01-2014-artikel-optimiert/default/a0d6d7bd-b391-11e4-a19d-001a64c55f5c/Optimiert-%e2%88%92-Mit-Simulation-zum-idealen-elektrischen-Antrieb-Porsche-Engineering-Magazin-01-2014.pdf 2020
- Gense , R. Evaluation of the Applicability of the Common Artemis Driving Cycle for Type Approval Purposes GRPE Informal Group WLTP 2nd Meeting 2009
- Bortz , J. , and Schuster , C. Statistik für Human- und Sozialwissenschaftler: Limitierte Sonderausgabe Seventh Berlin Heidelberg Springer-Verlag 2010 10.1007/978-3-642-12770-0