This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancement of Occupant Ride Comfort by GA Optimized PID Control Active Suspension System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
The main objective of this work is to enhance the occupant ride comfort. Ride comfort is quantified in terms of measuring distinct accelerations like sprung mass, seat and occupant head. For this theoretical evaluation, a 7- degrees of freedom (DOF) human-vehicle-road model was established and the system investigation was limited to vertical motion. Besides, this work also focused to guarantee other vehicle performance indices like suspension working space and tire deflection. A proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controller was introduced in the vehicle model and optimized with the aid of the genetic algorithm (GA). Actuator dynamics is incorporated into the system. The objective function for PID optimization was carried out using root mean square error (RMSE) concept. The severity of various suspension indices and biomechanics responses of the developed model under proposed approach were theoretically analyzed using various road profiles and compared with conventional passive system. Furthermore, this work discussed the seat to head transmissibility ratio (STH) response to examine the severity of whole-body vibration (WBV). Subsequently, the respective performance measures were statistically analyzed using root mean square (RMS) method. The result inferred that the GA-based optimized PID controller enhanced the occupant ride comfort at significant frequencies with guaranteed vehicle stability.
CitationAnandan, A. and Kandavel, A., "Enhancement of Occupant Ride Comfort by GA Optimized PID Control Active Suspension System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1532, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1532.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- International Organization for Standardization , “ISO Catalogue. Mechanical Vibration and Shock-Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole-Body Vibration-Part 1: General Requirements,” 1997.
- Rahmatalla, S., and DeShaw, J. , “Effective Seat-to-Head Transmissibility in Whole-Body Vibration: Effects of Posture and arm Position,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 330(25):6277-6286, 2011.
- Liang, C.-C., and Chiang, C.-F. , “A Study on Biodynamic Models of Seated Human Subjects Exposed to Vertical Vibration,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 36(10):869-890, 2006.
- Yang, W., and Rahmatalla, S. , “Human Head-Neck Models in Whole-Body Vibration: Effect of Posture,” Journal of Biomechanics 46(4):702-710, 2013.
- Rajamani, R. , Vehicle Dynamics and Control (Springer Science & Business Media, 2011).
- Anandan, A., and Arunachalam, K. , “Study and Analysis of the Behavior of a Seated Human Body in a Vehicle by the Influence of an Active Suspension System,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0403, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0403.
- Patil, S.A., and Joshi, S.G. , “Experimental Analysis of 2 DOF Quarter-Car Passive and Hydraulic Active Suspension Systems for Ride Comfort,” Systems Science & Control Engineering: An Open Access Journal 2(1):621-631, 2014.
- Kumar, M.S., and Vijayarangan, S. , “Analytical and Experimental Studies on Fatigue Life Prediction of Steel and Composite Multi-Leaf Spring for Light Passenger Vehicles Using Life Data Analysis,” Materials Science 13(2):141-146, 2007.
- Esat, I.I., Saud, M., and Engin, S.N. , “A Novel Method to Obtain a Real-Time Control Force Strategy Using Genetic Algorithms for Dynamic Systems Subjected to External Arbitrary Excitations,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 330(1):27-48, 2011.
- Geweda, A.E., El-Gohary, M.A., El-Nabawy, A.M., and Awad, T. , “Improvement of Vehicle Ride Comfort Using Genetic Algorithm Optimization and PI Controller,” Alexandria Engineering Journal 56(4):405-414, 2017.
- Chi, Z., He, Y., and Naterer, G.F. , “Design Optimization of Vehicle Suspensions with a Quarter-Vehicle Model,” Transactions of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering 32(2):297-312, 2008.
- Mohsen, M., Kamel, H., Sharaf, A.M., and El-Demerdash, S.M. , “Optimal Design of Passive Suspension System of a 6× 6 Multi-Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle Using Genetic Algorithm,” International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems 25(3-4):508-533, 2018.
- Gündoğdu, Ö. , “Optimal Seat and Suspension Design for a Quarter Car with Driver Model Using Genetic Algorithms,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 37(4):327-332, 2007.
- Abbas, W., Emam, A., Badran, S., Shebl, M. et al. , “Optimal Seat and Suspension Design for a Half-Car with Driver Model Using Genetic Algorithm,” Intelligent Control and Automation 4(02):199, 2013.
- Kuznetsov, A., Mammadov, M., Sultan, I., and Hajilarov, E. , “Optimization of a Quarter-Car Suspension Model Coupled with the Driver Biomechanical Effects,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 330(12):2937-2946, 2011.
- Mitra, A.C., Desai, G.J., Patwardhan, S.R., Shirke, P.H. et al. , “Optimization of Passive Vehicle Suspension System by Genetic Algorithm,” Procedia Engineering 144:1158-1166, 2016.
- Hur, R.S.M., Abid, M., Khan, A.Q., Satti, S.G. et al. , “H∞ Control of 8 Degrees of Freedom Vehicle Active Suspension System,” Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Sciences 30(2):161-169, 2018.
- Merritt, H.E. , Hydraulic Control Systems (John Wiley & Sons, 1991).
- Martins, F.G. , “Tuning PID Controllers Using the ITAE Criterion,” International Journal of Engineering Education 21(5):867, 2005.
- Baumal, A.E., McPhee, J.J., and Calamai, P.H. , “Application of Genetic Algorithms to the Design Optimization of an Active Vehicle Suspension System,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 163(1-4):87-94, 1998.
- Tyan, F., Hong, Y.-F., Shun-Hsu, T., and Jeng, W.S. , “Generation of Random Road Profiles,” Journal of Advanced Engineering 4(2):1373-1378, 2009.