This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of Tonal Noise at Automotive Side Mirrors due to Aeroacoustic Feedback
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
This paper describes the possibility to resolve aeroacoustic feedback with a commercial 2nd/3rd order finite volume CFD code . After a first comparison to a NACA 0012 test case, tonal noise components of a realistic automotive side view mirror are validated with in-house wind tunnel measurements. A zonal RANS/LES approach is used to ensure a realistic flow around the exterior side mirror mounted on a Mercedes-Benz passenger car. The provided compressible large eddy simulations are using non-reflecting boundary conditions in combination with a sponge zone approach to reduce hydrodynamic fluctuations and are in great accordance to measurements. The possibility of localizing and investigating the underlying feedback mechanism enables the chance for a targeted design of different appropriate remedies, which are finally confirmed by means of experimental comparison.
CitationSchell, A. and Eiselt, M., "Numerical Investigation of Tonal Noise at Automotive Side Mirrors due to Aeroacoustic Feedback," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1514, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1514.
- Paterson , R.W. , Vogt , P.G. , Fink , M.R. , and Munch , C.L. Vortex Noise of Isolated Airfoils J. Aircraft 10 5 296 302 1973
- Frank , H.M. , and Munz , C.-D. Direct Aeroacoustic Simulation of Acoustic Feedback Phenomena on a Side-View Mirror Journal of Sound and Vibration 371 132 149 2016
- Desquesnes , G. , Terracol , M. , and Sagaut , P. Numerical Investigation of the Tone Noise Mechanism over Laminar Airfoils J. Fluid Mech. 591 155 182 2007
- Jones , L.E. , and Sandberg , R.D. Numerical Analysis of Tonal Airfoil Self-Noise and Acoustic Feedback-Loops Journal of Sound and Vibration 330 6137 6152 2011
- Werner , M.J. , Würz , W. , and Krämer , E. Experimental Investigation of Tonal Self-Noise Emission of a Vehicle Side Mirror AIAA Journal 55 5 1673 1680 2017
- Schell , A. , and Cotoni , V. Flow Induced Interior Noise Prediction of a Passenger Car SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars-Mech. Syst 9 3 1053 1062 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1809
- Gietzen , N. 2018
- Lowson , M.V. , Fiddes , S. , and Nash , E. 1994
- Schlichting , H. and Gersten , K. 2017 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-52919-5