This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Predicting Automotive Clutch Torsional Vibrations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
Automotive clutches are prone to rigid body torsional vibrations during engagement, a phenomenon referred to as take-up judder. This is also accompanied by fore and aft vehicle motions. Aside from driver behaviour in sudden release of clutch pedal (resulting in loss of clamp load), and type and state of friction lining material, the interfacial slip speed and contact temperature can significantly affect the propensity of clutch to judder. The ability to accurately predict the judder phenomenon relies significantly on the determination of operational frictional characteristics of the clutch lining material. This is dependent upon contact pressure, temperature and interfacial slip speed. The current study investigates the ability to predict clutch judder vibration with the degree of complexity of the torsional dynamics model. For this purpose, the results from a four and nine degrees of freedom dynamics models are compared and discussed. Subsequently, the predictions are compared with the acquired data from an automotive driveline test rig. It is shown that the complexity of the dynamic model, intended for the study of a clutch system, can be as important as the thermo-mechanical and frictional properties of the clutch friction lining material.
CitationGkinis, T., Rahmani, R., and Rahnejat, H., "On Predicting Automotive Clutch Torsional Vibrations," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1508, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1508.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Drexl, H. , “Clutch Judder—Causes and Counter Measures,” in Proc. Tech. Conf. SITEV, 1990, 7-46.
- Jarvis, R.P., and Mills, B. , “Vibrations Induced by Dry Friction,” Proc. IMechE 178(32):847-866, 1963-4.
- Maucher, P. , “Clutch Chatter,” in Proc. 4th Int. Sympos. on Torsional Vibrations in the Drive Train, Baden-Baden, Germany, 1990.
- Bostwick, C.C., Corp, C., and Corp, E. , “Self-Excited Vibrations during Engagements of Dry Friction Clutches,” Engineering (724), 1998.
- Rabeih, E.M.A., and Crolla, D.A. , “Intelligent Control of Clutch Judder and Shunt Phenomena in Vehicle Drivelines,” Int. J. Veh. Des. 17(3):318-332, 1996.
- Yang, L.K., Li, H.Y., Ahmadian, M., and Ma, B. , “Analysis of the Influence of Engine Torque Excitation on Clutch Judder,” J. Vibration and Control 23(4):645-655, 2017.
- Menday, M.T. and Rahnejat, H. , “Friction Lining Characteristics and the Clutch Take Up Judder Phenomenon with Manual Transmission,” in: Rahnejat, H. (ed), Tribology and Dynamics of Engine and Powertrain: Fundamentals, Applications and Future Trends (Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Ltd, 2010), 680-702.
- Centea, D., Rahnejat, H., and Menday, M.T. , “Non-linear Multi-Body Dynamic Analysis for the Study of Clutch Torsional Vibrations (Judder),” Applied Mathematical Modelling 25(3):177-192, 2001.
- Centea, D., Rahnejat, H., and Menday, M.T. , “The Influence of the Interface Coefficient of Friction upon the Propensity to Judder in Automotive Clutches,” Proc. IMechE, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 213(3):245-258, 1999.
- Crowther, A., Zhang, N., Liu, D.K., and Jeyakumaran, J.K. , “Analysis and Simulation of Clutch Engagement Judder and Stick-Slip in Automotive Powertrain Systems,” Proc. IMechE, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 218(12):1427-1446, 2004.
- Crowther, A.R., and Zhang, N. , “Torsional Finite Elements and Nonlinear Numerical Modelling in Vehicle Powertrain Dynamics,” J. Sound and Vibration 284(3-5):825-849, 2005, 2005.
- Gkinis, T., Rahmani, R., and Rahnejat, H. , “Effect of Clutch Lining Frictional Characteristics on Take-Up Judder,” Proc. IMechE, Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics 231(3):493-503, 2017.
- Humphrey, E., Gkinis, T., Morris, N.J., Leighton, M. et al. , “Clutch Lining Frictional Characteristics under Thermal Tribodynamic Conditions,” in 3rd Biennial Int. Conf. on Powertrain Modelling and Control (PMC 2016), Loughborough University, UK, 2016.
- Gkinis, T., Rahmani, R., Rahnejat, H., and O’Mahony, M. , “Heat Generation and Transfer in Automotive Dry Clutch Engagement,” J. Zhejiang University-Science A 19(3):175-188, 2018.
- Gkinis, T., Rahmani, R., and Rahnejat, H. , “Integrated Thermal and Dynamic Analysis of Dry Automotive Clutch Linings,” Applied Sciences 9(20):4287, 2019.
- Rahnejat, H. , Multi-Body Dynamics: Vehicles, Machines and Mechanisms (Bury St Edmunds, UK: Professional Engineering Publishing, 1998).