This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the Deformation of Injector Components and Its Influence on the Injection Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The deformation of injector components cannot be disregarded as the pressure of the system increases. Deformation directly affects the characteristics of needle movement and injection quantity. In this study, structural deformation of the nozzle, the needle and the control plunger under different pressures is calculated by a simulation model. The value of the deformation of injector components is calculated and the maximum deformation location is also determined. Furthermore, the calculated results indicates that the deformation of the control plunger increases the control chamber volume and the cross-section area between the needle and the needle seat. A MATLAB model is established to The influence of structural deformation on needle movement characteristics and injection quantity is investigate by a numerical model. The results show that the characteristic points of needle movement are delayed and injection quantity increases due to the deformation. Furthermore, the degree of the two effects increases with pressure. Therefore, this paper completes the numerical calculation model of the injector and provides guidance for accurate injection under high pressure.
CitationXu, D., Sun, B., Yang, Q., and Wu, D., "Investigation on the Deformation of Injector Components and Its Influence on the Injection Process," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1398, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1398.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- B.G. , “Liquid and Vapor Spray Structure in High-Pressure Common Rail Diesel Injection,” Atomization and Sprays 11(5), 2001.
- Wang, X., Huang, Z., Kuti, O.A. et al. , “Experimental and Analytical Study on Biodiesel and Diesel Spray Characteristics under Ultra-High Injection Pressure,” International journal of heat and fluid flow 31(4):659-666, 2010.
- Yu, S., Yin, B., Jia, H. et al. , “Numerical Research on Micro Diesel Spray Characteristics under Ultra-High Injection Pressure by Large Eddy Simulation (LES),” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 64:129-136, 2017.
- Xie, F.X., Yu, Z.Y. et al. , “Effects of Injection Pressure on Fuel Spray and Air-Fuel Mixing Process of Diesel Engine,” Journal of Jilin University (Engineering and Technology Edition) 43(6):1504-1509, 2013.
- Payri, R., Viera, J.P., Wang, H. et al. , “Velocity Field Analysis of the High Density, High Pressure Diesel Spray,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 80:69-78, 2016.
- Kato, T., Tsujimura, K., Shintani, M., Minami, T. et al. , “Spray Characteristics and Combustion Improvement of D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 890265, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890265.
- İçıngür, Y. and Altiparmak, D. , “Effect of Fuel Cetane Number and Injection Pressure on a DI Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” Energy conversion and management 44(3):389-397, 2003.
- Kakegawa, T., Suzuki, T., Tsujimura, K., and Shimoda, M. , “A Study on Combustion of High Pressure Fuel Injection for Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 880422, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880422.
- Agarwal, A.K., Dhar, A., Srivastava, D.K. et al. , “Effect of Fuel Injection Pressure on Diesel Particulate Size and Number Distribution in a CRDI Single Cylinder Research Engine,” Fuel 107:84-89, 2013.
- Graham, M., Crossley, S., Harcombe, T., Keeler, N. et al. , “Beyond Euro VI - Development of a Next Generation Fuel Injector for Commercial Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1435, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1435.
- Morgan, R., Banks, A., Auld, A., Heikal, M. et al. , “The Benefits of High Injection Pressure on Future Heavy Duty Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2441, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2441.
- Wloka, J., Pflaum, S., and Wachtmeister, G. , “Potential and Challenges of a 3000 Bar Common-Rail Injection System Considering Engine Behavior and Emission Level,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):801-813, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1131.
- Catania, A.E., Ferrari, A. and Spessa, E. . Numerical-Experimental Study and Solutions to Reduce the Dwell-Time Threshold for Fusion-Free Consecutive Injections in a Multijet Solenoid-Type CR System. J Eng Gas Turbine Power 2009; 132: 022804.
- Lv, H.M., Yang, M., Wang, L.Y., and Yang, X. , “Elastic Deformation of Injector Slender Rod Part and its Influence,” Modern Vehicle Power 03:33-37, 2016.
- Coppo, M. and Dongiovanni, C. , “Experimental Validation of a Common-Rail Injector Model in the Whole Operation Field,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 129(2):596, 2007.
- Wu, D.W., Sun, B.G., and Xu, D. , “Deformation of Nozzle, Needle, and Control Plunger of Solenoid Fuel Injector under High Injection Pressure,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 095440701878635, 2018.
- Lino, P., Maione, G., and Saponaro, F. , “Fractional-Order Modeling of High-Pressure Fluid-Dynamic Flows: An Automotive Application,” IFAC-PapersOnLine 48(1):382-387, 2015.
- Dongiovanni, C. and Coppo, M. , “Accurate Modeling of an Injector for Common Rail Systems,” . In: Fuel Injection. (InTech, 2010).
- Boudy, F. and Seers, P. , “Impact of Physical Properties of Biodiesel on the Injection Process in a Common Rail Direct Injection System,” Energy Conversion and Management 50(12):2905-2912, 2009.
- Catania, A.E., Ferrari, A., and Spessa, E. , “Temperature Variations in the Simulation of High Pressure Injection System Transient Flows under Cavitation,” Interantional Jouranal of Heat and Mass Transfer 51(7-8):2090-2107, 2008.
- Ndiaye, E., Bazile, J.P., Nasri, D. et al. , “High Pressure Thermophysical Characterization of Fuel Used for Testing and Calibrating Diesel Injection Systems,” Fuel 98:288-294, 2012.
- Chorazewski, M., Dergal, F., Sawaya, T. et al. , “Thermophysical Properties of Normafluid (ISO 4113) over Wide Pressure and Temperature Ranges,” Fuel 105:440-450, 2013.