This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Suspension System Behavior under Misuse Loading Using Explicit Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the automotive industry, the development of suspension systems for misuse loads is essential. The vehicle may experience the abusive loads in fore-aft, lateral and vertical directions. From a design perspective, it is crucial that the suspension should be robust enough to withstand the abusive loading in different directions. Testing as well as virtual simulation of the suspension for feasible misuse scenarios can provide a desired design solution in the most optimized time. Better Virtual simulation practices provided with good modeling strategy and detail material model data can help to anticipate the accurate response of the system, which can benefit to reduce the number of physical tests.
This paper describes an explicit dynamic approach to predict the behavior of suspension system under impact load condition. Material failure model is proposed to simulate the failure of parts and change in load path under high loading condition
CitationThakare, S., Kathoke, S., and Appana, K., "Prediction of Suspension System Behavior under Misuse Loading Using Explicit Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1394, 2020.
- Duni, E., Toniato, G., Saponaro, R., and Smeriglio, P. , “Vehicle Fatigue Load Prediction Based on Finite Element TIRE/ROAD Interaction Implemented in an Integrated Implicit-Explicit Approach,” in Abaqus Users Conference,2008.
- Chang-Sik, O. , Kim, N.-H. , Kim, Y.-J.,Baek, J.-H.,Kim, Y.-P. , Kim, W.-S., “ A Finite Element Ductile Failure Simulation Method Using Stress-Modified Fracture Strain Mode,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 2011.
- “Abaqus Documentation,” 6.14.
- Billal, K.M., Basha, R., Nesarikar, A., Haiyum, A. et al. , “Prediction of Component Failure Using ‘Progressive Damage and Failure Model’ and its Application in Automotive Wheel Design,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1516, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1516.
- “Ls-Dyna Keyword User’s Manual - Volume II - Material Models - R7.0.”