This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Computational Algorithm for Estimation of Lead Acid Battery Life
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance and durability of the lead acid battery is highly dependent on the internal battery temperature. The changes in internal battery temperatures are caused by several factors including internal heat generation and external heat transfer from the vehicle under-hood environment. Internal heat generation depends on the battery charging strategy and electric loading. External heat transfer effects are caused by customer duty cycle, vehicle under-hood components and under-hood ambient air. During soak conditions, the ambient temperature can have significant effect on battery temperature after a long drive for example. Therefore, the temperature rise in a lead-acid battery must be controlled to improve its performance and durability. In this paper a thermal model for lead-acid battery is developed which integrates both internal and external factors along with customer duty cycle to predict battery temperature at various driving conditions. The model is fully integrated into the vehicle environment. Therefore, all interactions with under-hood components and air flow are considered. Based on estimated battery temperature, a battery thermal degradation model is applied to predict battery life for a variety of duty cycles. Therefore, appropriate thermal protection and battery charging strategy can be investigated in order to improve battery life and reduce potential warranty costs.
CitationEl-Sharkawy, A., Mohamed, K., Park, Y., and Sami, A., "Development of a Computational Algorithm for Estimation of Lead Acid Battery Life," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1391, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1391.
- Liu , X. , Zou , Z. , Cao , X. , Zhang , H. , and Zhang , J. Current Distribution on 3-D SiC Networks Lead-Acid Batteries Cailiao Yanjiu Xuebao/Chinese Journal of Materials Research 18 587 592 2004
- Ceraolo , M. New Dynamical Models of Lead-Acid Batteries. Power Systems IEEE Transactions on 15 1184 1190 2000 10.1109/59.898088
- Jackey , R. 10.4271/2007-01-0778
- Ariza , E. et al. Modelling, Parameter Identification, and Experimental Validation of a Lead Acid Battery Bank Using Evolutionary Algorithms Energies 11 2361 2018 10.3390/en11092361
- Senecal , P.K. August 2000
- El-Sharkawy , A. , Arora , D. , Hekal , A. , Sami , A. et al. Transient Modeling of Vehicle Under-Hood and Underbody Component Temperatures SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 9 2 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0281
- El-Sharkawy , A. , Sami , A. , Hekal , A. , Arora , D. et al. Transient Modelling of Vehicle Exhaust Surface Temperature SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 9 2 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0280
- Barsali , S. and Ceraolo , M. Dynamical Models of Lead-Acid Batteries: Implementation Issues Power Engineering Review, IEEE 22 63 63 2002 10.1109/MPER.2002.4312013
- Analysis of Material Thermal Degradation Models SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 5 2 440 448 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0955
- Kamal , M.R. Polymer Engineering and Science 14 1 231 1979
- Wise , J. , Gillen , K.T. , and Clough , R.L. Polymer 38 1929 1997
- Lawson , R.W. A Review of the Status of Plastic Encapsulated Semiconductor Components Reliability Br. Telecomm. J. 2 95 111 1984