This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Stone Impact Test Study with Impact Mechanics and FEA Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Currently in automotive industrial, the emphasis on developing a better heat exchanger for vehicle thermal management is not only to address its functional performance but also its durability levels. One of the requirements for the latter is to test the heat exchanger in a simulated stone impact bench test with specified impact energy criteria. Due to various complex influence factors of this test, there is no existing simplified and physical-based relationship for heat exchanger design engineers to apply.
With above considerations in mind and based on impact mechanical principles, impact heads configurations and heat exchangers geometrical details, this paper is proposing and developing a simplified impact mechanical models, where physical reasoned influence design factors can be presented and analyzed. Furthermore, these related cases will be also simulated by impact mechanical finite element analysis (FEA) software and by proposed simplified models with comparisons and discussions given in later section of this paper.
CitationTang, Y., Yang, Z., and Ansari, M., "The Stone Impact Test Study with Impact Mechanics and FEA Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1341, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1341.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Landau , L.D. and Lifshitz , E.M. Theory of Elasticity Third Butterworth-Heinemann 1997
- Goldsmith , W. Impact: The Theory and Physical Behaviour of Colliding Solids Dover Civil and Mechanical Engineering Nov. 2001
- Johnson , K.L. Contact Mechanics Reprint Cambridge University Press Aug. 1987
- Yu , T.X. and Qiu , X. Impact Dynamics (in Chinese) Beijing, China Tsinghua University Press Nov. 2011
- Brogliato , B. An Introduction to Impact Dynamics France INRIA Grenoble-Rhone-Alpes June 2010
- Altair HyperWorks 2013
- de Runtz , J.A. and Hodge , P.G. Crushing of a Tube between Rigid Plates ASME J., Appl. Mech. 30 391 395 1963
- Burton , R.H. and Craig , J.M. 1963
- Reid , S.R. and Reddy , T.Y. Effects of Strain Hardening on the Lateral Compression of Tubes between Rigid Plates Int. J. Solid Structures 14 213 225 1978
- Owens , R.H. and Symonds , P.S. Plastic Deformation of Free Ring under Concentrated Dynamics Loadings J. Appl. Mech. 22 523 529 1955
- Hashmi , S.J. , Al-Hassani , S.T.S. , and Johnson , W. Dynamic Plastic Deformation of Rings under Impulsive Load Int. J. Mech. Sci. 14 823 841 1972