This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hypervisor Implementation in Vehicle Networks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As technology has grown in complexity, so have the use cases and applications. In particular, vehicle systems have evolved from the mechanically simple tool with the singular utility of transport to a transportation device embedded with computer systems, allowing for the vastly superior UX.
As the technological advances and increased vehicular functionality, this has also increased the number of vulnerabilities and opportunity for a successful system breach. Any of these within the present architecture, when successfully exploited, may lead to a cascade of failures, or a limited number of critical failures.
To mitigate this opportunity for the attackers, one non-obtrusive measure involves a method used in non-vehicle systems. The hypervisor implementation is recommended to assist with this mitigation. While this has not been researched at length in the present use case, the application of this well-versed tool is viable.
The hypervisor offers many benefits to the vehicle architecture, both operationally and with cybersecurity. The proposed mitigant provides the structure to partition the various VMs. This allows for the different functions to be managed within their own distinct VM. The VMs may also be grouped to encase the critical from non-critical functions, in comparison to the present architecture of having these in a singular location. Each VM may also house a different OS, allowing for a variety of uses, including but not limited to unique forms of detection applications. While the cybersecurity applications are numerous, there are also the operational benefits. The hypervisor is designed to not only manage the VMs, but also to increase the efficiency of these via resource management. The indirect benefits from this are likewise notable for the vehicle application.
CitationParker, C. and Wasen, J., "Hypervisor Implementation in Vehicle Networks," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1334, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1334.
- Furfaro , A. , Argento , L. , Parise , A. , and Piccolo , A. Using Virtual Environments for the Assessment of Cybersecurity Issues in IoT Scenarios Simulation Modelling Practice & Theory 73 43 54 2017
- Paulraj , D. , Shaik , N. , and Weimerskirch , A. https://www.weimerskirch.org/files/WeimerskirchEtA/_V2XCommunicationSecurity.pdf
- Leisenring , B. July 23, 2019 https://www.aptiv.com/newsroom/article/racing-toward-connectivity
- Dove , A. Zero to Sixty: Accelerating Vehicle Telematics IQT Quarterly 6 1 1 29 2014
- Roach , J. Porting Operating Systems to Run in Xen Virtual Machines 2017 NDIA Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium August 8-10, 2017 Novi, MI https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0336/0d7e8541808d06255b18580fd937e73f95.pdf
- Okamoto , T. Design of a Lightweight Intrusion-Tolerant System for Highly Available Servers International Conference on Knowledge Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems, KES 2017 September 6-8, 2017 Marseille, France 10.1016/j.procs.2017.08.26/
- VMWare https://www.vmware.com/topics/glossary/content/hypervisor
- Mishra , P. , Pilli , E.S. , Varadharajan , V. , and Tupakula , U. Intrusion Detection Techniques in Cloud Environment: A Survey Journal of Network and Computer Applications 77 18 47 2017 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2016.10.015
- Shaw , K. December 19, 2017 https://www.networkworld.com/article/3243162/what-is-a-hyptervisor.html
- Barrowclough , J.P. and Asif , R. Securing Cloud Hypervisors: A Survey of the Threats, Vulnerabilities, and Countermeasures Security and Communication Networks 2018 1 20 2018 https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/1681908
- Sumastre , M.G. February 27, 2013 https://www.pluralsight.com
- Mesevage , T.G. March 15, 2019 https://www.datto.com/library/what-is-a-hypervisor
- Gopalan , S. June 12, 2018 https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/display/DIRO/Hypervisor+in+Automotive+-+Critical+Use+cases
- QNX https://blackberry.qnx.com/en.html
- Swaminathan , G. and Saminathan , V. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6b5f/e2e333af28aae41f08742eee6c954349586e.pdf
- Sharwood , S. August 4, 2017 https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/04/ag|_4_released_now_for-In_car_vms/
- Sano , F. , Okamoto , T. , Winarno , I. , Hata , Y. , and Ishida , Y. A Cyber Attack-Resilient Server Inspired by Biological Diversity Artificial Life & Robotics 21 3 345 350 2016 10.1007/s10015-016-0286-5
- Khan , M.A. A Survey of Security Issues for Cloud Computing Journal of Network and Computer Applications 71 11 29 2016 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2016.05.010