This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test Bench for Static Transmission Error Evaluation in Gears
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper a test bench for measuring the Static Transmission Error of two mating gears is presented and a comparison with the results obtained with the commercial software GeDy TrAss is shown. Static Transmission Error is considered as the main source of overloads and Noise, Vibration and Harshness issues in mechanical transmissions. It is defined as the difference between the theoretical angular position of two gears under load in quasi-static conditions and the real one. This parameter strictly depends on the applied torque and the tooth macro and micro-geometry. The test bench illustrated in this work is designed to evaluate the actual Static Transmission Error of two gears under load in quasi-static conditions. In particular, this testbed can be divided in two macro elements: the first one is the mechanism composed by weights and pulleys that generates a driving and a braking torque up to 500 Nm. The second element is composed by two structures called “supports”: one fixed to the floor and the other movable in order to be as much as possible flexible to set tests for every kind of gears (spur, helical, bevel, hypoid, etc.). Above these two supports the kinematic chain (shafts, bearings, gears), the torque-meter to measure the instantaneous torque and two high precision angular encoders to detect angular differences as small as 10-6 rad are mounted. The Static Transmission Error experimental results obtained by the test bench for a pair of standard spur gears are then described and compared with virtual results of the numerical-analytical code GeDy TrAss. Finally, conclusions are drawn, and future developments are discussed.
CitationRosso, C., Maggi, T., Marcellini, C., and Bruzzone, F., "Test Bench for Static Transmission Error Evaluation in Gears," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1324, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Velex, P., Chapron, M., Fakhfakh, H., Bruyère, J., and Becquerelle, S., “On Transmission Error and Profile Modifications Minimizing Dynamic Tooth Load in Multi-Mesh Gears,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 379:28-52, 2016.
- Bonori, G., Barbieri, M., and Pellicano, F., “Optimum Profile Modifications of Spur Gears by Means of Genetic Algorithms,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 313:603-616, 2008.
- Bruyère, J., Gu, X., and Velex, P., “On the Analytical Definition of Profile Modifications Minimizing Transmission Error Variation in Narrow-Faced Spur Helical Gears,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 92:257-272, 2015.
- Weber, C. , “The Deformation of Load Gears and the Effect on Their Load-Carrying Capacity,” Technical Report n.3, British Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1949.
- Harris, S.L. , “Dynamic Loads on Teeth of Spur Gears,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 172(1):87-112, 1958.
- Cornell, R.W. , “Compliance and Stress Sensitivity of Spur Gear Teeth,” Journal of Mechanical Design 103(2):447-459, 1981.
- Parker, R.G., Agashe, V., and Vijayakar, S.M., “Dynamic Response of a Planetary Gear System using a Finite Element/Contact Mechanics Model,” Journal of Mechanical Design 122:304-310, 2000.
- Dai, X., Cooley, C.G., and Parker, R.G., “An Efficient Hybrid Analytical-Computational Method for Nonlinear Vibration of Spur Gear Pairs,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 141(1, 011006):1-13, 2018.
- Rosso, C., Bruzzone, F., Maggi, T., Marcellini, C., “A Proposal for Semi-Analytical Model of Teeth Contact with Application to Gear Dynamics,” JSAE/SAE 2019, Kyoto, Japan, 2019.
- Baud, S. and Velex, P., “Static and Dynamic Tooth Loading in Spur and Helical Geared Systems-Experiments and Model Validation,” J. Mech. Des. 124(2):334-346, Jun 2002.
- Benatar, M., Handschuh, M., Kahraman, A., and Talbot, D., “Static and Dynamic Transmission Error Measurements of Helical Gear Pairs with Various Tooth Modifications,” J. Mech. Des. Oct 2019 141(10):103301, 2019.
- Palermo, A., Anthonis, J., Mundo, D., Desmet, W., “A Novel Test Rig with Adjustable Shaft Compliance and Misalignments,” Dalpiaz, G. et al. (eds.), Advances in Condition Monitoring of Machinery in Non-Stationary Operations, Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering.
- Lee, N.-G., Lee, D.-H., Jung, Y.-J., Siddique, Md. A. A., Nam, K.-C., Kim, T.-B., Choi, C.-H., Kim, Y.-J., “Analysis of Transmission Error for Compound Planetary Gear Reducer by Tooth Profile Modification,” ASABE 2019 Annual International Meeting.