This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ammonium Nitrate Formation and Decomposition on an Extruded Vanadium-Based SCR Catalyst
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, the formation and decomposition of ammonium nitrate (AN) on a state-of-the-art extruded vanadium-based SCR catalyst (V-SCR) under simulated exhaust conditions has been evaluated. Results show that AN readily forms and accumulates at temperatures below 200°C when exposed to NH3 and NO2. The rate of AN accumulation increases with decreasing temperature. A new low temperature NH3 release peak (not present following NH3 storage conditions with NH3 only) becomes apparent after AN accumulation at 100 and 125°C. This new NH3 release, with a peak release temperature of approximately 180°C, is evaluated in detail to better determine its origin. BET surface area, and thermal gravimetric analysis/differential scanning calorimetry (TGA/DSC), and reactor-based experiments are all used to characterize AN formed on the V-SCR catalyst in comparison to pure AN. Experiments on pure AN crystals reveal that the new low temperature NH3 peak is attributable to the release of NH3 from AN that is not related to AN volatilization, since this does not occur until above T > 200°C.This study expands the present understanding of AN formation over an extruded V-SCR catalyst.
CitationOttinger, N., Xi, Y., Keturakis, C., and Liu, Z., "Ammonium Nitrate Formation and Decomposition on an Extruded Vanadium-Based SCR Catalyst," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1320, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1320.
- California Air Resources Board 2019 https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/hdlownox/white_paper_04182019a.pdf?_ga=2.248263815.1637994674.1568854788-598324688.1567564796
- Sharp , C.A. , Webb , C.C. , Neely , G.D. , and Smith , I. 2017 https://www.arb.ca.gov/research/single-project.php?row_id=65182
- Colombo , M. , Nova , I. , and Tronconi , E. Detailed Kinetic Modeling of the NH 3 -NO/NO 2 SCR Reactions Over a Commercial Cu-Zeolite Catalyst for Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment Catal. Today 197 243 255 2012
- Tronconi , E. , Nova , I. 3 2 5 3 2 2016
- Ottinger , N.A. , Xi , Y. , Keturakis , C. , and Liu , Z.G. Impact of Hydrothermal Aging on the Formation and Decomposition of Ammonium Nitrate on a Cu/Zeolite SCR Catalyst SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 1646 1652 2017
- Luo , J. , Tang , Y. , Joshi , S. , Kamasamudram , K. et al. The Impact of Ammonium Nitrate Species on Low Temperature NOx Conversion Over Cu/CHA SCR Catalyst SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 1691 1696 2017
- Hilliard , J. and Wheeler , R. Nitrogen Dioxide in Engine Exhaust SAE Technical Paper 790691 1979 https://doi.org/10.4271/790691
- Pipho , M. , Kittelson , D. , and Zarling , D. NO 2 Formation in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 910231 1991 https://doi.org/10.4271/910231
- Tronconi , E. , Nova , I. , and Colombo , M. Dynamic Methods in Catalytic Reaction Engineering: Applications […] for Diesel Emission Control Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 49 10374 10385 2010
- Saunders , H.L. The Decomposition of Ammonium Nitrate by Heat J. Chem. Soc., Trans. 121 698 711 1922 10.1039/CT9222100698
- Feick , G. and Hainer , R.M. On the Thermal Decomposition of Ammonium Nitrate. Steady-State Reaction Temperatures and Reaction Rate J. Am. Chem. Soc. 76 22 5860 5863 1954
- Xi , Y. , Ottinger , N.A. , and Liu , Z.G. Effect of Hydrothermal Aging on the Catalytic Performance and Morphology of a Vanadia SCR Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1079 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1079
- Brunauer , S. , Emmett , P.H. , and Teller , E. Adsorption of Gases in Multimolecular Layers J. Am. Chem. Soc. 60 2 309 319 1938
- Johnston , H.S. , Foering , L. , Tao , Y. , and Messerly , G.H. The Kinetics of the Thermal Decomposition of Nitric Acid Vapor J. Am. Chem. 73 5 2319 2321 1951
- Ottinger , N.A. , Xi , Y. , and Liu , Z.G. Formation and Decomposition of Ammonium Nitrate on an Ammonia Oxidation Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0342 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0342
- Theoret , A. and Sandorfy , C. Infrared Spectra and Crystalline Phase Transition of Ammonium Nitrate Canadian J. Chem. 42 57 62 1964
- Sandstrom , M.M. , Brown , G.W. , Preston , D.N. , et al. 2013