This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Mechanical Behavior of Chopped Carbon Fiber Reinforced Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As an alternative lightweight material, chopped carbon fiber reinforced Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) composites, formed by compression molding, provide a new material for automotive applications. In the present study, the monotonic and fatigue behavior of chopped carbon fiber reinforced SMC is investigated. Tensile tests were conducted on coupons with three different gauge length, and size effect was observed on the fracture strength. Since the fiber bundle is randomly distributed in the SMC plaques, a digital image correlation (DIC) system was used to obtain the local modulus distribution along the gauge section for each coupon. It was found that there is a relationship between the local modulus distribution and the final fracture location under tensile loading. The fatigue behavior under tension-tension (R=0.1) and tension-compression (R=-1) has also been evaluated. Damage evolution on the free edge of the samples under cyclic loading has been recorded using optical microscopy by interrupting fatigue tests at different number of cycles. The results suggest that the interfacial failure between fiber and matrix is the dominant damage mechanism for SMC under fatigue loading.
- Xuze Sun - Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Carlos Engler-Pinto - Ford Motor Company
- Li Huang - Ford Motor Company
- Shiyao Huang - Ford Motor Research & Eng. (Nanjing) Co.
- Haibin Tang - Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Haitao Cui - Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Xuming Su - Ford Motor Company
CitationSun, X., Engler-Pinto, C., Huang, L., Huang, S. et al., "Investigation of Mechanical Behavior of Chopped Carbon Fiber Reinforced Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) Composites," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1307, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1307.
- Kirupanantham , G. 2013
- Liu , H. , Haitao , C. , Wen , W. , and Kang , H. Fatigue Characterization of T300/924 Polymer Composites with Voids under Tension-Tension and Compression-Compression Cyclic Loading Fatigue Fracture of Engineering Materials Structures 41 3 597 610 2018 10.1111/ffe.12721
- Njuguna , J. Lightweight Composite Structures in Transport: Design, Manufacturing, Analysis and Performance Woodhead Publishing 2016
- Feraboli , P. , Peitso , E. , Deleo , F. , Cleveland , T. , and Stickler , P.B. Characterization of Prepreg-Based Discontinuous Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Systems Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 28 10 1191 1214 May 2009 10.1177/0731684408088883
- Selezneva , M. and Lessard , L. Characterization of Mechanical Properties of Randomly Oriented Strand Thermoplastic Composites Journal of Composite Materials 50 20 2833 2851 August 2016 10.1177/0021998315613129
- Selezneva , M. , Roy , S. , Lessard , L. , and Yousefpour , A. Analytical Model for Prediction of Strength and Fracture Paths Characteristic to Randomly Oriented Strand (ROS) Composites Composites Part B: Engineering 96 103 111 2016 10.1016/j.compositesb.2016.04.017
- Feraboli , P. , Peitso , E. , Cleveland , T. , Stickler , P.B. , and Halpin , J.C. Notched Behavior of Prepreg-Based Discontinuous Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Systems Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 40 3 289 299 2009 10.1016/j.compositesa.2008.12.012
- Qian , C. , Harper , L.T. , Turner , T.A. , and Warrior , N.A. Notched Behaviour of Discontinuous Carbon Fibre Composites: Comparison with Quasi-Isotropic Non-Crimp Fabric Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 42 3 293 302 2011 10.1016/j.compositesa.2010.12.001
- Tang , H. , Chen , Z. , Zhou , G. , Li , Y. et al. Correlation between Failure and Local Material Property in Chopped Carbon Fiber Chip-Reinforced Sheet Molding Compound Composites under Tensile Load Polymer Composites 40 E962 E974 2019 10.1002/pc.24767
- Chen , Z. , Tang , H. , Shao , Y. , Sun , Q. et al. Failure of Chopped Carbon Fiber Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) Composites under Uniaxial Tensile Loading: Computational Prediction and Experimental Analysis Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 118 117 130 2019 10.1016/j.compositesa.2018.12.021
- Tang , H. , Zhou , G. , Chen , Z. , Huang , L. et al. Fatigue Behavior Analysis and Multi-Scale Modelling of Chopped Carbon Fiber Chip-Reinforced Composites under Tension-Tension Loading Condition Composite Structures 215 85 97 2019 10.1016/j.compstruct.2019.02.041
- Tang , H. , Chen , Z. , Zhou , G. , Sun , X. et al. Effect of Fiber Orientation Distribution on Constant Fatigue Life Diagram of Chopped Carbon Fiber Chip-Reinforced Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) Composite International Journal of Fatigue 125 394 405 2019 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2019.04.016
- Li , Y. , Chen , Z. , Xu , H. , Dahl , J. et al. Modeling and Simulation of Compression Molding Process for Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) of Chopped Carbon Fiber Composites SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 10 2 130 137 2017
- Dietrich , L. , Socha , G. , and Kowalewski , Z.L. Anti-Buckling Fixture for Large Deformation Tension-Compression Cyclic Loading of Thin Metal Sheets Strain 50 2 174 183 2014 10.1111/str.12078
- De Monte , M. , Moosbrugger , E. , and Quaresimin , M. Influence of Temperature and Thickness on the off-Axis Behaviour of Short Glass Fibre Reinforced Polyamide 6.6-Cyclic Loading Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 41 10 1368 1379 2010 10.1016/j.compositesa.2010.02.004