This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact to Cooling Airflow from Truck Platooning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We investigate tradeoffs between the airflow strategies related to engine cooling and the aerodynamic-enabled fuel savings created by platooning. By analyzing air temperatures, engine temperatures and cooling air flow at different platoon distances, we show the thermal impact to the engine from truck platooning. Previously, we collected wind and thermal data for numerous heavy-duty truck platoon configurations (gaps ranging from 4 to 87 meters) and reported the significant fuel savings enabled by these configurations. The fuel consumption for all trucks in the platoon were measured using the SAE J1321 gravimetric procedure as well as calibrated J1939 instantaneous fuel rate while travelling at 65 mph and loaded to a gross weight of 65,000 lb. Using thermocouples mounted 1 m ahead of each truck, anemometers at the grill and a grid of under-hood thermocouples as well as J1939 reported engine temperatures, we analyze the impact to critical operating temperatures from different platoon configurations. Results show significant changes in the engine and under-hood air temperatures that correlate with vehicle gap distance and platoon position.
CitationZhang, C. and Lammert, M., "Impact to Cooling Airflow from Truck Platooning," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1298, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1298.
- Marcu, B. and Browand, F. , “Aerodynamic Forces Experienced by a 3-Vehicle Platoon in a Crosswind,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1324, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1324.
- Bonnet, C. and Fritz, H. , “Fuel Consumption Reduction in a Platoon: Experimental Results with Two Electronically Coupled Trucks at Close Spacing,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3056, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3056.
- Tsuei, L. and Savas, O. , “Transient Aerodynamics of Vehicle Platoons during in-Line Oscillations,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 89:1085-1111, 2001.
- Browand, F., McArthur, J., and Radovich, C. , “Fuel Saving Achieved in the Field Test of Two Tandem Trucks,” California PATH Research Report UCB-ITSPRR-2004-20, 2004.
- Al Alam, A., Gattami, A., and Johansson, K. , “An Experimental Study on the Fuel Reduction Potential of Heavy Duty Vehicle Platooning,” in 13th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Madeira Island, Portugal, 2010.
- Roeth, M. , “CR England Peloton Technology Platooning Test Nov. 2013,” North American Council for Freight Efficiency (NACFE), Peloton, 2013.
- Lammert, M., Duran, A., Diez, J., Burton, K. et al. , “Effect of Platooning on Fuel Consumption of Class 8 Vehicles over a Range of Speeds, Following Distances, and Mass,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(2), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2438.
- Tsugawa, S. , “Results and Issues of an Automated Truck Platoon within the Energy ITS Project,” in 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), June 8-11, Dearborn, MI, 2014.
- Humphreys, H. and Bevly, D. , “Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis of a Generic 2 Truck Platoon,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8008, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8008.
- Roberts, J., Mihelic, R., Roeth, M., and Rondini, D. , “Confidence Report on Two-Truck Platooning,” Technical Report, North American Council for Freight Efficiency, 2016.
- Bevly, D., Murray, C., Lim, A., Turochy, R., et al. , “Heavy Truck Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control: Evaluation, Testing, and Stakeholder Engagement for Near Term Deployment: Phase Two Final Report,” Technical report, Auburn University, 2017.
- McAuliffe, B.R., Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M., Croken, M., and Raeesi, A. , “Fuel-Economy Testing of a Three-Vehicle Truck Platooning System,” NRC Report LTR-AL-2017-0008, National Research Council Canada, 2017.
- McAuliffe, B. and Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M. , “A Wind-Tunnel Investigation of the Influence of Separation Distance, Lateral Stagger, and Trailer Configuration on the Drag-Reduction Potential of a Two-Truck Platoon,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 11(2):125-150, 2018, doi:10.4271/02-11-02-0011.
- Salari, K. and Ortega, J. , “Experimental Investigation of the Aerodynamic Benefits of Truck Platooning,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0732, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0732.
- McAuliffe, B., Lammert, M., Lu, X.-Y., Shladover, S.E. et al. , “Influences on Energy Savings of Heavy Trucks Using Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1181, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1181.
- Muratori, M., Holden, J., Lammert, M., Duran, A. et al. , “Potentials for Platooning in US Highway Freight Transport,” SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles 10(1):45-49, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0086.
- SAE J1321 , “Fuel Consumption Test Procedure - Type II,” Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J1321, 2012.