This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
State of the Art Survey on Comparison of CAN, FlexRay, LIN Protocol and Simulation of LIN Protocol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Controller area network (CAN), FlexRay and local interconnect network (LIN) digital protocols are commonly used for communication in modern vehicles. A modern vehicle contains up to 70 electronic control units. This paper is a literature review of these protocols. We have also implemented LIN protocol. The communication cycle, process, message structure, and hardware elements are discussed for all three protocols. Performance is measured in terms of reliability and latency. In addition, a comparison between the CAN, FlexRay and LIN protocols is made. Experimental results indicate that CAN protocol has advantages when it comes to real-time priority-based communication. However, if all the events have equal priority, then FlexRay works well. The LIN protocol is budget friendly and has lowest cost in all 3 protocols but at the same time it is unreliable.
CitationHafeez, A., Topolovec, K., Zolo, C., and Sarwar, W., "State of the Art Survey on Comparison of CAN, FlexRay, LIN Protocol and Simulation of LIN Protocol," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1293, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1293.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Ankita , S. , Lenina , S.V.B. , and Joshi , D. 2018
- Navet , N. , Song , Y. , Simonot-Lion , F. , and Wilwert , C. Trends in Automotive Communication Systems Proceedings of the IEEE 93 6 1204 1223 2005
- Elizabeth , A.B. By-Wire Cars Turn the Corner IEEE Spectrum 38 4 68 73 2001
- Daoud , R.M. , Amer , H.H. , Elsayed , H.M. , and Sallez , Y. Fault-Tolerant Ethernet-Based Vehicle on-Board Networks IECON 2006 - 32nd Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics 2006 4662 4665
- Daoud , R.M. , Amer , H.H. , Elsayed , H.M. , and Sallez , Y. Ethernet-Based Car Control Network 2006 Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering. IEEE 2006 1031 1034
- Zeng , W. , Khalid , M. , and Chowdhury , S. A Qualitative Comparison of Flexray and Ethernet in Vehicle Networks 2015 IEEE 28th Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE) 2015 571 576
- Kimm , H. and Ham , H.-S. Integrated Fault Tolerant System for Automotive Bus Networks 2010 Second International Conference on Computer Engineering Applications 2010 1 486 490
- Hoppe , T. , Kiltzm , S. , and Dittmann , J. Security Threats to Automotive can Networks, Practical Examples and Selected Short-Term Countermeasures Reliability Engineering and System Safety 96 1 11 25 2011
- Hafeez , A. , Malik , H. , Avatefipour , O. , Rongali , P. et al. Comparative Study of CAN-Bus and FlexRay Protocols for In-Vehicle Communication SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0017 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0017
- Avatefipour , Omid , Hafeez , Azeem , Tayyab , Muhammad , and Malik , Hafiz Linking Received Packet to the Transmitter Through Physical-Fingerprinting of Controller Area Network 2017 IEEE Workshop on Information Forensics and Security (WIFS) 2017 1 6
- Hafeez , Azeem , Tayyab , Muhammad , Zolo , Carmen , and Awad , Selim Finger Printing of Engine Control Units by Using Frequency Response for Secure In-Vehicle Communication 2018 14th International Computer Engineering Conference (ICENCO) 2018 79 83
- Hafeez , A. , Topolovec , K. , and Awad , S. Ecu Fingerprinting Through Parametric Signal Modeling and Artificial Neural Networks for in-Vehicle Security Against Spoofing Attacks 2019 15th International Computer Engineering Conference (ICENCO) 2019
- Tayyab , M. , Hafeez , A. , and Malik , H.
- Steve Corrigan , H.P.L. 2002
- https://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/introToLIN.pdf 2019
- Forsberg , A. and Hedberg , J. Comparison of Flexray and Can-Bus for Real-Time Communication IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 58 3 2012
- Makowitz , R. and Temple , C. Flexray- a Communication Network for Automotive Control Systems 2006 IEEE International Workshop on Factory Communication Systems 2006 207 212
- Hackett , E. Feb 2018 http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slla383/slla383.pdf
- Paret , D. and Riesco , R. Multiplexed Networks for Embedded Systems: CAN, LIN, FlexRay, Safe-by-Wire… Wiley 2007
- Feb 2019 http://www.ni.com/en-us/innovations/white-papers/09/introduction-to-the-local-interconnect-network-lin-bus.html
- Sharma , R.
- Cho , K.T. 2018
- Feb 2019 http://www.ni.com/en-us/innovations/white-papers/06/flexray-automotive-communication-bus-overview.html
- Apr 2018 https://elearning.vector.com/mod/page/view.php?id=381