This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applications of Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation in Automotive Embedded Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hardware-in-the-loop (HiL) simulation is an advanced technique for development and testing of complex real-time embedded systems. This technique has greatly developed in the last decades and has been more and more used in the automotive industry for algorithm and software development, hardware validation, safety validation, and fault investigation activities. Plant simulation model executes in HiL simulator to provide a virtual vehicle that interacts in an open-loop or closed-loop fashion with the embedded system that is under test. Compared to in-vehicle testing, HiL simulation provides benefits of low cost, high availability, high flexibility, repeatability, and test automation capability. HiL simulation reduces the risk caused by control failure, which is especially important for self-driving control system development and testing. The HiL simulation system is more application specific. Hardware configuration and plant simulation model should be developed in a way to fulfill the application requirements. In this paper, several HiL systems have been presented for powertrain Electronic Control Units (ECU) validation and verification (v&v), autonomous driving algorithm development, propulsion and battery ECU tests for hybrid and electric vehicles. Application requirements, HiL simulator configuration, plant simulation implementation, HiL system capabilities, and key behavior test examples have been discussed in the paper.
CitationAhmad, N., Meng, A., and Sultan, M., "Applications of Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation in Automotive Embedded Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1289, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1289.
- Isermann , R. , Schaffnit , J. , and Sinsel , S. Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation for the Design and Testing of Engine-Control Systems Control Engineering Practice v7 643 653 1999
- Raman , S. , Sivashankar , N. , Milam , W. , Stuart , W. , and Nabi , S. Design and Implementation of HIL Simulators for Powertrain Control System Software Development Proceedings of the American Control Conference San Diego, CA 1999 709 713
- Hwang , T. , Roh , J. , Park , K. , Hwang , J. , Lee , K.H. , Lee , K. , Lee , S.-J. , and Kim , Y.-J. Development of HIL Systems for active Brake Control Systems SICE-ICASE International Joint Conference 2006 10.1109/SICE.2006.314663
- Lee , S.J. and Kim , Y.J. Development of Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation System for Testing Multiple ABS and TCS Modules International Journal of Vehicle Design 36 1 13 23 2004
- Lee , Y. and Lee , W.S. Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation for Electromechanical Brake SICE-ICASE International Joint Conference Busan, Korea 2006 1513 1516
- Park , K. and Heo , S.J. A Study on the Brake-by-Wire System Using Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation International Journal of Vehicle Design 36 1 38 49 2004
- Grunewald , M.C. Functional Testing of an Electric Power Steering Using HiL Simulations 5th International Munich Chassis Symposium 2014 2014 455 469
- Lee , M.H. et al. Development of a Hardware in the Loop Simulation System for Electric Power Steering in Vehicles International Journal of Automotive Technology V12 733 744 October 2011
- Jiang , S. , Smith , M. , Kitchen , J. , and Ogawa , A. Development of an Engine-in-the-Loop Vehicle Simulation System in Engine Dynamometer Test Cell SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1039 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1039
- Mouzakitis , A. , Copp , D. , Parker , R. , and Burnham , K. Hardware-in-the-Loop System for Testing Automotive ECU Diagnostic Software Measurement + Control v42 8 238 245 October 2009
- Deng , W. , Lee , Y. , and Zhao , A. Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation for Autonomous Driving 34th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Nov 10-13 2008 10.1109/IECON.2008.4758217
- Joshi , A. Real-Time Implementation and Validation for Automated Path Following Lateral Control Using Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1683 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1683
- Joshi , A. Powertrain and Chassis Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Simulation of Autonomous Vehicle Platform SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1991 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1991
- Shao , Y. , Zulkefli , M. , Sun , Z. , and Huang , P. Evaluating Connected and Autonomous Vehicles Using a Hardware in-the-Loop Testbed and a Living Lab Transportation Research Part C v102 121 135 2019
- Tumasov , A.V. et al. The Application of Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Simulation for Evaluation of Active Safety of Vehicles Equipped with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Systems 13th International Symposium “Intelligent Systems” (INTELS’18) 2019 309 315
- Chen , S. , Chen , Y. , Zhang , S. , and Zheng , N. A Novel Integrated Simulation and Testing Platform for Self-driving Cars th Hardware in the Loop IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 10.1109/TIV.2019.2919470
- Brogle , C. , Zhang , C. , Lim , K. , and Bruaunl , T. Hardware-in-the-Loop Autonomous Driving Simulation without Real-Time Constraints IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 10.1109/TIV.2019.2919457