This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Benchmarking a 2018 Toyota Camry UB80E Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As part of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) continuing assessment of advanced light-duty automotive technologies in support of regulatory and compliance programs, a 2018 Toyota Camry front wheel drive eight-speed automatic transmission was benchmarked. The benchmarking data were used as inputs to EPA’s Advanced Light-duty Powertrain and Hybrid Analysis (ALPHA) vehicle simulation model to estimate GHG emissions from light-duty vehicles.
ALPHA requires both detailed engine fuel consumption maps and transmission torque loss maps. EPA’s National Vehicle and Fuels Emissions Laboratory has developed a streamlined, cost-effective in-house method of transmission testing, capable of gathering a dataset sufficient to characterize transmissions within ALPHA. This testing methodology targets the range of transmission operation observed during vehicle testing over EPA’s city and highway drive cycles.
With this method, the transmission is tested as a complete system, as opposed to disassembling the transmission components and testing each separately. This paper describes the benchmarking process used to gather transmission data and the test results obtained. A UB80E eight-speed automatic transmission from a 2018 Toyota Camry was installed in an engine dynamometer test cell along with a 4-cylinder 2.5L A25A-FKS engine from the same vehicle. The test dataset collected from the transmission includes gear efficiencies, torque converter slippage and K factors, spin losses, oil temperature and pressure, and CAN bus data.
The transmission data collected with this benchmarking method were used as inputs to the ALPHA full vehicle simulation model. ALPHA simulation results were validated using vehicle chassis dynamometer test data from the 2018 Toyota Camry containing this engine and transmission. The ALPHA simulation also allowed the Toyota UB80E transmission to be compared to other benchmarked transmissions.
CitationMoskalik, A., Stuhldreher, M., and Kargul, J., "Benchmarking a 2018 Toyota Camry UB80E Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1286, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Kargul, J., Stuhldreher, M., Barba, D., Schenk, C. et al. , “Benchmarking a 2018 Toyota Camry 2.5-Liter Atkinson Cycle Engine with Cooled-EGR,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0249, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0249.
- Newman, K., Kargul, J., and Barba, D. , “Benchmarking and Modeling of a Conventional Mid-Size Car Using ALPHA,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1140, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1140.
- Moskalik, A., Hula, A., Barba, D., and Kargul, J. , “Investigating the Effect of Advanced Automatic Transmissions on Fuel Consumption Using Vehicle Testing and Modeling,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1916-1928, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1142.
- Stuhldreher, M., Kim, Y., Kargul, J., Moskalik, A. et al. , “Testing and Benchmarking a 2014 GM Silverado 6L80 Six Speed Automatic Transmission,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-5020, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-5020.
- Stuhldreher, M. , “Fuel Efficiency Mapping of a 2014 6-Cylinder GM EcoTec 4.3L Engine with Cylinder Deactivation,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0662, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0662.
- Dekraker, P., Barba, D., Moskalik, A., and Butters, K. , “Constructing Engine Maps for Full Vehicle Simulation Modeling,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1412, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1412.
- Stuhldreher, M., Kargul, J., Barba, D., McDonald, J. et al. , “Benchmarking a 2016 Honda Civic 1.5-Liter L15B7 Turbocharged Engine and Evaluating the Future Efficiency Potential of Turbocharged Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):1273-1305, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0319.
- Stuhldreher, M., Schenk, C., Brakora, J., Hawkins, D. et al. , “Downsized Boosted Engine Benchmarking and Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1266, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1266.
- Ellies, B., Schenk, C., and Dekraker, P. , “Benchmarking and Hardware-in-the-Loop Operation of a 2014 MAZDA SkyActiv 2.0L 13:1 Compression Ratio Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1007, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1007.
- Lee, B., Lee, S., Cherry, J., Neam, A. et al. , “Development of Advanced Light-Duty Powertrain and Hybrid Analysis Tool,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0808, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0808.
- Dekraker, P., Stuhldreher, M., and Kim, Y. , “Characterizing Factors Influencing SI Engine Transient Fuel Consumption for Vehicle Simulation in ALPHA,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(2):529-540, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0533.
- Kargul, J., Moskalik, A., Barba, D., Newman, K. et al. , “Estimating GHG Reduction from Combinations of Current Best-Available and Future Powertrain and Vehicle Technologies for a Midsized Car Using EPA’s ALPHA Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0910, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0910.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Transportation , “2017 and Later Model Year Light-duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards: Final Rule,” Federal Register 77(199), October 15, 2012.
- Toyota USA , “2018 Camry Product Information,” November 02, 2017, available at https://pressroom.toyota.com/2018-toyota-camry-product-info-sheet/, retrieved 5/9/2019.
- Aisin AW Co., Ltd. , “New Camry Equipped with 2-Motor FWD Hybrid Transmission, 8-Speed FWD Automatic Transmission and Dynamic Navigation,” July 14, 2017, available at https://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/news/detail/2017714.html, retrieved 5/9/2019.
- Aisin AW Co., Ltd. , “Technology and Products: Product Lineup: AT,” n.d., available at https://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/products/drivetrain/lineup/at.html, retrieved 5/9/2019.
- Michikoshi, Y., Kusamoto, D., Ota, H., Ikemura, M. et al. , “Toyota New TNGA High-Efficiency Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission Direct Shift-8AT for FWD Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1093, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1093.
- D'Errico, J.R. , “Surface Fitting Using Gridfit,” 2016. Information available at: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/8998-surface-fitting-using-gridfit.
- Newman, K., Kargul, J., and Barba, D. , “Development and Testing of an Automatic Transmission Shift Schedule Algorithm for Vehicle Simulation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):1417-1427, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1142.
- Newman, K. and Dekraker, P. , “Modeling the Effects of Transmission Gear Count, Ratio Progression, and Final Drive Ratio on Fuel Economy and Performance Using ALPHA,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1143, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1143.
- 2014 FCA HFE 845RE Transmission Mapping - Test Data Package, Version 2019-04, Ann Arbor, MI: US EPA, National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory, National Center for Advanced Technology, 2019, Available at https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fuel-emissions-testing/benchmarking-advanced-low-emission-light-duty-vehicle-technology.
- 2013 GM 6T40 Transmission Mapping - Test Data Package, Version 2019-0,. Ann Arbor, MI: US EPA, National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory, National Center for Advanced Technology, 2019, Available at https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fuel-emissions-testing/benchmarking-advanced-low-emission-light-duty-vehicle-technology.
- Dekraker, P., Kargul, J., Moskalik, A., Newman, K. et al. , “Fleet-Level Modeling of Real World Factors Influencing Greenhouse Gas Emission Simulation in ALPHA,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(1):217-235, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0899.
- Moskalik, A., Bolon, K., Newman, K., and Cherry, J. , “Representing GHG Reduction Technologies in the Future Fleet with Full Vehicle Simulation,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 11(4):469-482, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1273.
- US EPA , “Data on Cars Used for Testing Fuel Economy,” https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel-economy-data/data-cars-used-testing-fuel-economy.