This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Evaluation of Near- and Far-Side Occupant Responses to Low- to Moderate-Speed Side Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Many side-impact collisions occur at speeds much lower than tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). In fact, nearly half of all occupants in side-impact collisions experience a change in velocity (delta-V) below 15 kph (9.3 mph). However, studies of occupant loading in collisions of low- to moderate-severity, representative of many real-world collisions, is limited. While prior research has measured occupant responses using both human volunteers and anthropometric test devices (ATDs), these tests have been conducted at relatively low speeds (<10 kph [<6.2 mph] delta-V). This study evaluated near- and far-side occupant response and loading during two side impacts with delta-V of 6.1 kph and 14.0 kph (3.8 mph and 8.7 mph). In each crash test, a Non-Deformable Moving Barrier (NDMB) impacted the side of a late-model, mid-sized sedan in a configuration consistent with the IIHS side-impact crash-test protocol. Two instrumented Hybrid III 50th-percentile male ATDs were positioned in the vehicle, one in the driver’s seat and one in the right, front passenger seat. Both ATDs were restrained with the vehicle’s three-point lap and shoulder belt. Head accelerations, upper- and lower-neck forces and moments, chest accelerations, lumbar spine forces and moments, pelvis acceleration, and seat belt webbing loads were collected for both ATDs. No occupant-to-occupant contact occurred in either crash test. The near-side ATD’s head did not contact any vehicle structures during the 6.1 kph delta-V impact but did contact the side window glazing during the 14.0 kph delta-V collision resulting in the highest head accelerations and neck compressive loading. All occupant loads measured in the current study were considerably lower than published tolerance levels for human injury and Injury Assessment Reference Values (IARVs). The spinal loads were also comparable to, or less than, those produced during non-injurious, simple physical activities.
CitationToney-Bolger, M., Sherman, S., Isaacs, J., Garman, C. et al., "An Evaluation of Near- and Far-Side Occupant Responses to Low- to Moderate-Speed Side Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1218, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Imler, S.M., Heller, M.F., Corrigan, C.F., Zhao, K. et al. , “The Effect of Side Impact Collision Delta-V, Restraint Status, and Occupant Position on Injury Outcome,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1158, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1158.
- Davis, M. and Company, Inc ., “National Telephone Survey of Reported and Unreported Motor Vehicle Crashes,” NHTSA Technical Report, DO HS 8122 183, 2015.
- Furbish, C., Welcher, J., Brink, J., Jones, B. et al. , “Occupant Kinematics and Loading in Low Speed Lateral Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1027, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1027.
- Fugger, T.F., Randles, B.C., Wobrock, J.L., Welcher, J.B. et al. , “Human Occupant Kinematics in Low Speed Side Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0020, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0020.
- Pintar, F.A., Yoganandan, N., Stemper, B.D., Bostrom, O. et al. , “Comparisons of PMHS, WorldSID, and THOR-NT Reponses in Simulated Far Side Impact,” Stapp Car Crash Journal 51:313-360, 2007.
- Shibata, P., Roberts, J., Sprague, J., Light, A. et al. , “The Kinematic Analysis of Occupant Excursions and Accelerations during Staged Low Speed Far-Side Lateral Vehicle-to-Vehicle Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1030, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1030.
- Rodowicz, K.A., Dupont, K., Smedley, J., Raasch, C. et al. , “Passenger Vehicle Occupant Response to Low-Speed Impacts with a Tractor-Semitrailer,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1125, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1125.
- Kloppenborg, N., Amenson, T., Wernik, J., and Wiechel, J. , “Low-Speed Go-Kart Crash Tests and a Comparison to Activities of Daily Living,” ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems 4, 2018.
- Toney-Bolger, M., Campbell, I., Miller, B., David, M. et al. , “Evaluation of Occupant Loading in Low- to Moderate-Speed Frontal and Rear-End Motor Vehicle Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1220, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1220.
- Yamaguchi, G.T., Carhart, M.R., Larson, R., Richards, D. et al. , “Electromyographic Activity and Posturing of the Human Neck During Rollover Tests,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0302, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0302.
- Parenteau, C., Shah, M., Steffan, H., and Hofinger, M. , “Volunteer and Dummy Head Kinematics in Low-Speed Lateral Sled Tests,” Traffic Injury Prevention 3:233-240, 2002, doi:10.1080/15389580290091857.
- Parenteau, C. , “Far-Side Occupant Kinematics in Low Speed Lateral Sled,” Traffic Injury Prevention 7:164-170, 2006, doi:10.1080/15389580500482005.
- Bruno, A., Toney-Bolger, M., George, J., Koller, J. et al. , “Evaluation of Occupant Kinematics in Low- to Moderate-Speed Frontal and Rear-End Motor Vehicle Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1226, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1226.
- Pasquesi, S.A., Bruno, A., Courtney, A., Imler, S.M. et al. , “Risk of Concussion in Low- to Moderate-Speed Frontal and Rear-End Motor Vehicle Collisions Evaluated Using Head Acceleration-Based Metrics,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1218, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1218.
- Crosby, C., Skiera, J., Bare, C., Como, S. et al. , “Passenger Vehicle Response and Damage Characteristics of Front and Rear Structures during Low- to Moderate-Speed Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0415, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0415.
- Skiera, J., Crosby, C., Bare, C., Paradiso, M. et al. , “Passenger Vehicle Dynamic Response and Characterization of Side Structure during Low- to Moderate-Speed Side Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0420, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0420.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice S211-1 MAR2014.
- Feuerstein, D., Parker, K.H., and Boutelle, M.G. , “Practical Methods for Noise Removal: Applications to Spikes, Nonstationary Quasi-Periodic Noise, and Baseline Drift,” Analytical Chemistry 81(12):4987-4994, 2009, doi:10.1021/ac900161x.
- George, J., Davis, M., Sharpe, S., Olberding, J. et al. , “Evolution of Occupant Kinematics during Low- to Moderate-Speed Side Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1222, 2020.
- Vijayakumer, V., Scher, I., Gloeckner, D.C., Pierce, J. et al. , “Head Kinematics and Upper Neck Loading During Simulated Low-Speed Rear-End Collisions: A Comparison with Vigorous Activities of Daily Living,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0247, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0247.
- Mkandawire, C., Mazzucco, D., Vijayakumar, V., Scher, I. et al. , “Head Kinematics and Upper Neck Loading during Simulated Low-Speed Lateral Impact Collisions,” in FISITA 2006 World Automotive Congress, Paper #F2006T044, Yokohama, Japan, Oct. 22-27, 2006.
- Funk, J.R., Cormier, J.M., Bain, C.E., Guzman, H. et al. , “Head and Neck Loading in Everyday and Vigorous Activities,” Ann of Biomed Eng. 39(2):766-776, 2011, doi:10.1007/s10439-010-0183-3.
- Mertz, H.J., Irwin, A.L., and Prasad, P. , “Biomechanical and Scaling Basis for Frontal and Side Impact Injury Assessment Reference Values,” Stapp Car Crash J. 60:625-657, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-22-0018.
- Mertz, H.J., Irwin, A.L., and Prasad, P. , “Biomechanical and Scaling Bases for Frontal and Side Impact Injury Assessment Reference Values,” Stapp Car Crash J. 47:155-188, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-22-0009.
- Mertz, H.J. and Patrick, L.M. , “Strength and Response of the Human Neck,” SAE Technical Paper 710855, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710855.
- Haneline, M. and Triano, J. , “Cervical Artery Dissection. A Comparison of Highly Dynamic Mechanisms: Manipulation versus Motor Vehicle Collision,” J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 28(1):57-63, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.jmpt.2004.12.003.
- Triano, J.J. , “Biomechanics of Spinal Manipulative Therapy,” The Spine Journal 1:121-130, 2001.
- Cappozzo, A. , “Compressive Loads in the Lumbar Vertebral Column during Normal Level Walking,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research 1(3):292-301, 1983, doi:10.1002/jor.1100010309.
- Schultz, A., Andersson, G.B., Ortengren, R., Björk, R. et al. , “Analysis and Quantitative Myoelectric Measurements of Loads on the Lumbar Spine When Holding Weights in Standing Postures,” Spine 7(4):390-397, 1982.
- Wilke, H.J., Neef, P., Caimi, M., Hoogland, T. et al. , “New In Vivo Measurements of Pressures in the Intervertebral Disc in Daily Life,” Spine 24(8):755-762, 1999, doi:10.1097/00007632-199904150-00005.
- Callaghan, J.P., Gunning, J.L., and McGill, S.M. , “The Relationship between Lumbar Spine Load and Muscle Activity during Extensor Exercises,” Physical Therapy 78(1):8-18, 1998, doi:10.1093/ptj/78.1.8.
- Lee, K.S., Chaffin, D.B., Herrin, G.D., and Waikar, A.M. , “Effect of Handle Height on Lower-Back Loading in Cart Pushing and Pulling,” Applied Ergonomics 22(2):117-123, 1991, doi:10.1016/0003-6870(91)90310-E.
- Freivalds, A., Chaffin, D.B., Garg, A., and Lee, K.S. , “A Dynamic Biomechanical Evaluation of Lifting Maximum Acceptable Loads,” Journal of Biomechanics 17(4):251-262, 1984.
- Hosea, T., Gatt, C., Galli, K., Langrana, N., et al. , “Biomechanical Analysis of the Golfer’s Back,” in Science and Golf: Proceedings of the First World Scientific Congress of Golf, 43-48, 1990.
- Gatt, C.J., Hosea, T.M., Palumbo, R.C., and Zawadsky, J.P. , “Impact Loading of the Lumbar Spine during Football Blocking,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine 25(3):317-321, 1997, doi:10.1177/036354659702500308.
- Jäger, M. and Luttmann, A. , “The Load on the Lumbar Spine during Asymmetrical Bi-Manual Materials Handling,” Ergonomics 35(7-8):783-805, 1992.
- Hutton, W.C., Cyron, B.M., and Stott, J.R. , “The Compressive Strength of Lumbar Vertebrae,” Journal of Anatomy 129(Pt 4):753-758, 1979.
- Brown, T., Hansen, R.J., and Yorra, A.J. , “Some Mechanical Tests on the Lumbosacral Spine with Particular Reference to the Intervertebral Discs: A Preliminary Report,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery 39(5):1135-1164, 1957.