This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lithium-Ion Battery Cell Modeling with Experiments for Battery Pack Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Lithium-ion polymer battery has been widely used for vehicle onboard electric energy storage ranging from 12V SLI (Starting, Lighting, and Ignition), 48V mild hybrid electric, to 300V battery electric vehicle. Formulation on cell parameters acquired from minimum numbers of experiments, the modeling and simulation could be an effective approach in predicting battery performance, thermal effectiveness, and degradation. This paper describes the modeling, simulation, and validation of Lithium-Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt-Oxide (LiNiMnCoO2) based cell with 3.6V nominal voltage and 20Ah capacity. Constant current 20A, 40A, 60A, and 80A discharge tests are conducted in the computer-controlled cycler and temperature chamber. Discharging voltage curves and cell surface temperature distributions are recorded in each discharging test. A three-dimensional cell model is constructed in the COMSOL multi-physics platform based on the cell parameters. The model validation is performed by experimental discharging voltage curves and cell surface temperature data. Simulated data matches the experiments with acceptable discrepancy. As a cell is the building block to form high-voltage battery module and pack, the developed cell model could play an important role in battery pack development and design.
CitationLiu, Y., Liao, Y., and Lai, M., "Lithium-Ion Battery Cell Modeling with Experiments for Battery Pack Design," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1185, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Ceraolo, M., Huria, T., Pede, G., and Vellucci, F. , “Lithium-Ion Starting-Lighting-Ignition Batteries: Examining the Feasibility,” in 2011 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2011, doi:10.1109/vppc.2011.6043116.
- Lee, S., Cherry, J., Safoutin, M., McDonald, J. et al. , “Modeling and Validation of 48V Mild Hybrid Lithium-Ion Battery Pack,” SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 7(3):273-287, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0433.
- Abdellahi, A., Khaleghi Rahimian, S., Blizanac, B., and Sisk, B. , “Exploring the Opportunity Space for High-Power Li-Ion Batteries in Next-Generation 48V Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1197, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1197.
- Machida, J., Madoka, N., and Hayase, S. , “Development of Intelligent Power Unit for 2018 Model Year Accord Hybrid,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0592, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0592.
- Liu, Y., Liao, Y., and Lai, M. , “Modeling and Validation of Lithium-Ion Polymer SLI Battery,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0594, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0594.
- Wu, B., Yufit, V., Marinescu, M., Offer, G.J. et al. , “Coupled Thermaleelectrochemical Modelling of Uneven Heat Generation in Lithium-ion Battery Packs,” Journal of Power Sources 243:544-554, 2013.
- Hu, X., Kshatriya, A., Wang, X., Ahrenholz, B. et al. , “A Thermal Electric Two-Way Coupled Battery Pack Model for an All Electric VW Motorsport Racer,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0593, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0593.
- Parsons, K.K. and Mackin, T.J. , “Design and Simulation of Passive Thermal Management System for Lithium-Ion Battery Packs on an Unmanned Ground Vehicle,” Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications 9:011012-1, March 2017, doi:10.1115/1.4034904.
- Wang, Y., Jiao, X., Sun, Z., and Li, P. , “Energy Management Strategy in Consideration of Battery Health for PHEV via Stochastic Control and Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm,” Energies 2017:10, 1894.
- Cai, L. and White, R.E. , “Mathematical Modeling of a Lithium Ion Battery with Thermal Effects in COMSOL Inc. Multiphysics (MP) Software,” Journal of Power Sources 196:5985-5989, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.03.017.
- Zhang, J., Wu, B., Li, Z., and Huang, J. , “Simultaneous Estimation of Thermal Parameters for Large-Format Laminated Lithium-ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 259:106-116, 2014.
- Gamry Instruments , “DigiElch Electrochemical Simulation Software,” https://www.gamry.com/digielch-electrochemical-simulation-software/, accessed Oct. 16, 2019.
- CAEBAT , “Computer-Aided Engineering for Electric Drive Vehicle Batteries, Software Tools for Battery Design,” National renewable Energy laboratory (NREL), Transportation Research, https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/caebat-modeling-design.html, accessed Oct. 16, 2019.
- Camacho-Solorio, L., Miroslav Krstic, M., Klein, R., Anahita Mirtabatabaei, A., and Moura, S.J. , “State Estimation for an Electrochemical Model of Multiple-Material Lithium-ion Batteries,” in Proc. of the ASME 2016 Dynamic Systems and Control Conf., Minneapolis, MN, Oct. 12-14, 2016.
- Docimo, D., Ghanaatpishe, M., and Fathy, H.K. , “Development and Experimental Parameterization of a Physics-Based Second-Order Lithium-ion Battery Model,” in Proc. of the ASME 2014 Dynamic Systems and Control Conf., San Antonio, TX, Oct. 22-24, 2014.
- Newman, J., Thomas, K.E., Hafezi, H., and Wheeler, D.R. , “Modeling of Lithium-Ion Batteries,” J. Power Sources 119(121):838-843, 2003.
- Song, L. and Evans, J.W. , “Electrochemical-Thermal Model of Lithium Polymer Batteries,” J. of The Electrochemical Society 147:2086-2095, 2000.
- Linden, D. , Handbook of Batteries Second Edition (McGraw-Hill, Inc, 1995).
- COMSOL Inc. , “1D Isothermal Lithium Ion Battery,” https://www.comsol.com/model/1d-isothermal-lithium-ion-battery-686, accessed Oct. 1, 2019.
- COMSOL Inc. , “Thermal Modeling of a Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Battery in 3D,” https://www.comsol.com/model/thermal-modeling-of-a-cylindrical-lithium-ion-battery-in-3d-10224/, accessed Oct. 1, 2019.
- COMSOL Inc. , “2D Lithium-Ion Battery,” https://www.comsol.com/model/2d-lithium-ion-battery-9981, accessed Dec. 10, 2019.