This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Online Fuel Cell High Frequency Resistance Monitor Controller
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) system is expected to be the next generation vehicle powertrain. However, water management is still the main problem which directly affects the performance, reliability and durability in PEMFC system. To ensure the accurate water content estimation, High Frequency Resistance (HFR) is the most representative indicator in laboratory. The HFR is calculated by detecting the Alternating Current (AC) voltage response of fuel cell under the excitation of 1k Hz AC current. The voltage level of the AC excitation affects the measurement of HFR. Generally, 5mV AC excitation is used to measure HFR for the fuel cell with an output voltage between 0.6-1V. So, online HFR monitor is a big challenge for vehicle application, due to its low Signal/Noise Ratio (S/N), poor Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) environment, high common mode voltage and several hundred cells. In this work, an online fuel cell HFR monitor controller is developed. Firstly, in order to amplify the weak AC voltage signal, the high voltage and high precision operational amplifier and active filter are used. High precision Analog-to-Digital Convertor (ADC) and high speed processor are used to process the signal. The measuring circuit can withstand a 600V common-mode voltage and simultaneously measure 16 pieces of fuel cell. It can meet the acquirements of 60kW PEMFC system. In HFR calculation, both the Fast Fourier Transformation (FFT) and amplitude ratio measurement chip are used to check the results. Finally, the controller is tested in the test bench. The results prove that the software and hardware design is feasible and the function is basically normal in real time.
CitationMa, T., Lin, W., and Kang, J., "Development of Online Fuel Cell High Frequency Resistance Monitor Controller," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1177, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Anderson, R., Zhang, L., Ding, Y., Blanco, M. et al. , “A Critical Review of Two-Phase Flow in Gas Flow Channels of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” J. Power Sources 195(15):4531-4553, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.jpowso ur.2009.12.123.
- Hu, G., Fan, J., Chen, S., Liu, Y., and Cen, K. , “Three-Dimensional Numerical Analysis of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFCs) with Conventional and Interdigitated Flow Fields,” J. Power Sources 136(1):1-9, 2004, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004. 05.010.
- Wu, J., Yuan, X.Z., Martin, J., Wang, H., Zhang, J., Shen, J., Wu, S., Merida, W. , “A Review of PEM Fuel Cell Durability: Degradation Mechanisms and Mitigation Strategies,” J. Power Source 184(1):104-119, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.200 8.06.006.
- Tavakoli, B. and Roshandel, R. , “The Effect of Fuel Cell Operational Conditions on the Water Content Distribution in the Polymer Electrolyte Membrane,” Renew Energy 36(12):3319-3331, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2011.05.003.
- Yang, X.G., Ye, Q., and Cheng, P. , “In-Plane Transport Effects on Hydrogen Depletion and Carbon Corrosion Induced by Anode Flooding in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 55(17-18):4754-4765, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.ijheat masstransfer.2012.04.040.
- Amamou, A.A., Kelouwani, S., Boulon, L., and Agbossou, K.A. , “Comprehensive Review of Solutions and Strategies for Cold Start of Automotive Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” IEEE Access 4:4989-5002, 2016, doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2 597058.
- Kandlikar, S.G., Garofalo, M.L., and Lu, Z. , “Water Management in A PEMFC: Water Transport Mechanism and Material Degradation in Gas Diffusion Layers,” Fuel Cells 11(6):814-823, 2011, doi:10.1002/fuce.201000172.
- Riascos, L.A.M. , “Relative Humidity Control in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells without Extra Humidification,” J. Power Sources 184(1):204-211, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsou r. 2008.06.032.
- Pei, P., Li, Y., Xu, H., and Wu, Z. , “A Review on Water Fault Diagnosis of PEMFC Associated with the Pressure Drop,” Appl. Energy 173:366-385, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.04.06 4.
- Dotelli, G., Ferrero, R., Stampino, P.G., Latorrata, S. , “Inverter Ripple as a Diagnostic Tool for Ohmic Resistance Measurements on PEM Fuel Cells,” presented at in Applied Measurements for Power Systems (AMPS) 2013, Germany, September 25-27, 2013.
- Dotelli, G., Ferrero, R., Stampino, P.G., Latorrata, S., and Toscani, S. , “Diagnosis of PEM Fuel Cell Drying and Flooding Based on Power Converter Ripple,” J. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas 63(10):2341-2348, 2014, doi:10.1109/TIM.2014.2318371.
- Dotelli, G., Ferrero, R., Stampino, P.G., Latorrata, S., and Toscani, S. , “Low-Cost PEM Fuel Cell Diagnosis Based on Power Converter Ripple With Hysteresis Control,” J. IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas 64(11):2900-2907, 2015, doi:10.1109/TIM.201 5.2434093.
- Hong, P., Li, J., Xu, L., Ouyang, M., and Fang, C. , “Modeling and Simulation of Parallel DC/DC Converters for Online AC Impedance Estimation of PEM Fuel Cell Stack,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 41(4):3004-3014, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.1 1.129.
- Hong, P., Xu, L., Jiang, H., Li, J., and Ouyang, M. , “A New Approach to Online AC Impedance Measurement at High Frequency of PEM Fuel Cell Stack,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 42(30):19156-19169, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.201 7.06.035.
- Kitamura, N., Manabe, K., Nonobe, Y., and Kizaki, M. , “Development of Water Content Control System for Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicles based on AC Impedance,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1088, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1088.
- Maruo, T., Toida, M., Ogawa, T., Ishikawa, Y. et al. , “Development of Fuel Cell System Control for Sub-Zero Ambient Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1189, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1189.
- Hong, P., Li, J., Xu, L., and Ouyang, M. , “Design and Validation of an Embedded Signal Analyzer for AC Impedance Identification of PEM Fuel Cell,” presented at in IEEE Transportation Electrification Asia-pacific 2016, South Korea, June 1-4, 2016.
- Freire, T.J.P. and Gonzalez, E.R. , “Effect of Membrane Characteristics and Humidification Conditions on the Impedance Response of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells,” J. Electroanal. Chem. 503(1-2):57-68, 2001, doi:10.1016/S0022-0728 (01)00364-3.
- Texas Instruments , “TMS320F2837xS Datasheet,” https:// www.ti.com/, accessed Nov. 2018.