This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fretting Damage Analysis and Predicting of Engine Head and Block
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today engine downsizing, weight reduction, boosting, etc. are widely used in modern combustion engine designs in order to increase power output, improve fuel economy, and reduce emission. However utilizing of these advanced technologies is making the engine less rigidity and resulting in potential fretting damages on any contact surfaces of engine components due to higher cyclic relative motions. The leakage failure of the cylinder-head sealing system induced by fretting damage on engine head and block deck surfaces is the one of major failure modes in the modern combustion engine. In this paper, the characteristics and failure modes of the MLS head gasket sealing system is introduced first. The fretting mechanism between MLS head gasket and engine head and block is then investigated and a fretting damage parameter and a damage criterion as well are defined and established to evaluate the crack nucleation or wear initiation. Also it is important to identify two types of loads during engine operation in the fretting damage calculation. The developed methodology is successfully verified through a good correlation between CAE analysis and actual engine thermal shock tests. This approach and results discussed in this paper provides a good guidance for the fretting damage analysis, assessment, and predicting of engine head and block deck surfaces.
CitationYe, R., Han, Y., Sun, X., Shi, J. et al., "Fretting Damage Analysis and Predicting of Engine Head and Block," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1167, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1167.
- Shi , C. , Sato , K. , Hamakawa , T. , Ishihara , Y. et al. Prediction of Fretting Fatigue in Engine Cylinder Block SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0382 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0382
- Hamasaki , T. , Kawaguchi , A. , Inagaki , H. , Tanaka , T. et al. Prediction of Cylinder Deformation Considering Shear Slipping Behavior of Cylinder Head Gasket Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 49 4 739 744 2018
- Vincent , L. Mechanics and Materials in Fretting Wear 153 135 148 1992
- Fouvry , S. , Kapsa , P. , and Vincent , L. Fretting Wear and Fretting Fatigue: Relation through Mapping Concept ASTM STP 1367 49 64 2000
- Fouvry , S. , Kapsa , P. , and Vincent , L. Quantification of Fretting Damage Wear 200 186 205 1996
- Han , Y. , Ye , R. , Liang , C. , Wang , Y. et al. 2019