This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Development of Injector Spray Targeting by Coupling 3D-CFD Simulations with Optical Investigations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Further improvements of internal combustion engines to reduce fuel consumption and to face future legislation constraints are strictly related to the study of mixture formation. The reason for that is the desire to supply the engine with homogeneous charge, towards the direction of a global stoichiometric blend in the combustion chamber. Fuel evaporation and thus mixture quality mostly depend on injector atomization features and charge motion within the cylinder. 3D-CFD simulations offer great potential to study not only injector atomization quality but also the evaporation behavior. Nevertheless coupling optical measurements and simulations for injector analysis is an open discussion because of the large number of influencing parameters and interactions affecting the fuel injection’s reproducibility. For this purpose, detailed numerical investigations are used to describe the injection phenomena. These intensive calculations are not advisable considering CFD virtual engine development. It is rather reasonable to find a methodology for a numerical characterization of the fuel injection process that takes into account both macroscopic and microscopic spray properties and to integrate these models into the complete engine simulations. Based on these concepts a fast response 3D-CFD tool has been developed at IVK/FKFS Stuttgart with the purpose of reliable and time effective simulation using dedicated models for internal combustion engines.
The purpose of this paper is a further development of the model and the spray simulation within the 3D-CFD-tool QuickSim, coupling optical measurements performed in a constant volume chamber and a new methodology to calibrate the simulations with a repeatable analysis of both experimental and numerical results. Axial and radial penetration curves, injection tip velocity, as well as jet angles were measured and evaluated. In addition to the investigation a PDA-system is used for detecting droplet velocities and diameters. These data were used to calibrate the injection model, enhancing the simulations’ reliability. Finally the modelled injectors were tested in a single-cylinder engine through 3D-CFD simulations, with the aim of studying the differences in the mixture formation and improving engine efficiency.
CitationVacca, A., Hummel, S., Müller, K., Reichenbacher, M. et al., "Virtual Development of Injector Spray Targeting by Coupling 3D-CFD Simulations with Optical Investigations," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1157, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Wentsch, M., Chiodi, M., Bargende, M., Wichelhaus, D., and Brandt, J. , “3D-CFD-Modeling of Multi-Component Liquid Gasoline for an improved Analysis of In-Cylinder Internal Engine Phenomena,” in JSAE Annual Congress, (Spring) on May 23rd 2013, 216-20135172.
- VanDerWege, B., Lounsberry, T., and Hochgreb, S. , “Numerical Modeling of Fuel Sprays in DISI Engines Under Early-Injection Operating Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0273, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0273.
- Wentsch, M., Chiodi, M., and Bargende, M. , “Fuel Injection Analysis with a Fast Response 3D-CFD Tool,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0103, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0103.
- Chiodi, M. , “An Innovative 3D-CFD-Approach towards Virtual Development of Internal Combustion Engines,” University of Stuttgart, Ph.D. thesis, Springer, 2010.
- Vacca, A., Bargende, M., Chiodi, M., Franken, T. et al. , “Analysis of Water Injection Strategies to Exploit the Thermodynamic Effects of Water in Gasoline Engines by Means of a 3D-CFD Virtual Test Bench,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0102, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0102.
- Basshuysen, R. and Schäfer, F. , Handbuch Verbrennungsmotor (Vieweg+Teubner: Wiesbaden, 2010).
- Reichenbacher, M. and Müller, K. , “Optical Investigations on Fuel Direct Injection and Their Comparison with Simulation Models,” B. Sc. thesis, University of Stuttgart, 2018.
- Wigley, G., Pitcher, G., and Helie, J. , “The Effect of Fuel Properties on Liquid Breakup and Atomisation in GDI Sprays,” in ICLASS, Kyoto, Japan, 2006.
- Wolf, H. , Transporteigenschaften von Kraftstoffen - PTB-Bericht (Bremen: Carl Schünemann Verlag GmbH, 2014).
- Nouri, J.M., Hamid, M.A., Yan, Y., and Arcoumanis, C. , “Spray Characterization of a Pintle-Type Injector for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” in Journal of Physics: Conference Series 85012037, 2007.
- Reitz, R.D. , “A Photographic Study of Flash-Boiling Atomization,” Aerosol Science and Technology 12(3):561ff, 1990.
- Wood, A., Wigley, G., and Helie, J. , “Flash Boiling Sprays produced by a 6-hole GDI Injector,” in 17th Int. Symp. on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, 2014.
- Payri, R., Araneo, L., Shakal, J., and Soare, V. , “Phase Doppler Measurements: System Set-Up Optimization for Characterization of a Diesel Nozzle,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 22:1620ff, 2008.
- Pitcher, G., Wigley, G., and Saffman, M. , “Sensitivity of Dropsize Measurements by Phase Doppler Anemometry to Refractive Index Changes in Combusting Fuel Sprays,” in Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1991.
- Wigley, G., Hargrave, G.K., and Heath, J. , “A High Power, High Resolution LDA/PDA System Applied to Dense Gasoline Direct Injection Sprays,” in 9th Int. Symp. on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, 1998.
- Wentsch, M., Perrone, A., Chiodi, M., Bargende, M. et al. , “Enhanced Investigations of High-Performance SI-Engines by Means of 3D-CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2469, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2469.
- Reitz, R.D. , “Atomization and Other Breakup Regimes in a Liquid Jet,” PhD thesis, Princeton University, 1978.
- Merker, G.P. and Teichmann, R. , Grundlagen Verbrennungsmotoren (Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden, 2014).
- Baratta, M., Catania, A., Spessa, E., Herrmann, L. et al. , “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Direct Natural-Gas Injection and Mixture Formation in a Stratified-Charge SI Engine with Centrally Mounted Injecto,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1(1):607-626, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0975.
- Wentsch, M. , “Analysis of Injection Processes in an Innovative 3D-CFD Tool for the Simulation of Internal Combustion Engines,” University of Stuttgart, PhD thesis, Springer, 2019.
- CD-adapco , “Star-CD - Methodology,” Commands, User guide v4.18, 2012.
- Rossi, E. , “Improvements of 3D-CFD Simulations of High-Performance Multi-Hole Injectors,” M.Sc thesis, University of Stuttgart, 2019.
- Wigley, G., Goodwin, M., Pitcher, G., and Blondel, D. , “Imaging and PDA Analysis of a GDI Spray in the Near-Nozzle Region,” Experiments in Fluids 36:565-574, 2004.