This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Large Eddy Simulations of Supercritical and Transcritical Jet Flows Using Real Fluid Thermophysical Properties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In order to understand supercritical jet flows further, well resolved large eddy simulations (LES) of a n-dodecane jet mixing with surrounding nitrogen are conducted. A real fluid thermodynamic model is used to account for the fuel compressibility and variable thermophysical properties due to the solubility of ambient gas and liquid jet using the cubic Peng-Robinson equation of state (PR-EOS). A molar averaged homogeneous mixing rule is used to calculate the mixing properties. The thermodynamic model is coupled with a pressure-based solver to simulate multispecies reacting flows. The numerical model is based on a second order accurate method implemented in the open source OpenFOAM-6 software. First, to evaluate the present numerical model for sprays, 1D advection and shock tube benchmark problems at supercritical conditions are shown. Second, a cryogenic nitrogen injection with a jet velocity of 4.9 m/s into a supercritical nitrogen environment at 4 MPa and room temperature is considered to carry out a grid resolution study, and the corresponding results are evaluated against experimental data of Mayer et al. Then, to assess the effects of thermophysical property variations due to mixing of two species, a high-pressure jet of n-dodecane at transcritical and supercritical temperatures at 200 m/s into high-pressure and high-temperature nitrogen environment is studied. Detailed analysis of the species dispersion and mixing are presented for various conditions. The present LES simulations of n-dodecane jets show massive shear forces and high hydrodynamic pressure fluctuations caused by the high-speed jet. The predicted results of flow and thermophysical properties are in close agreement with the available literature data.
CitationNingegowda, B., Rahantamialisoa, F., Zembi, J., Pandal, A. et al., "Large Eddy Simulations of Supercritical and Transcritical Jet Flows Using Real Fluid Thermophysical Properties," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1153, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Rodriguez, C., Vidal, A., Koukouvinis, P., Gavaises, M. et al. , “Simulation of Transcritical Fluid Jets Using the PC-SAFT EoS,” Journal of Computational Physics 374:444-468, 2018.
- Ma, P.C., Wu, H., Banuti, D.T., and Ihme, M. , “Numerical Analysis on Mixing Processes for Transcritical Real-Fluid Simulations,” in 2018 AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2018, 1813.
- Battistoni, M., Magnotti, G.M., Genzale, C.L., Arienti, M. et al. , “Experimental and Computational Investigation of Subcritical Near-Nozzle Spray Structure and Primary Atomization in the Engine Combustion Network Spray D,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 11(4):377-352, 2018, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0277.
- Lacaze, G., Misdariis, A., Ruiz, A., and Oefelein, J.C. , “Analysis of High-Pressure Diesel Fuel Injection Processes Using LES with Real-Fluid Thermodynamics and Transport,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 35(2):1603-1611, 2015.
- Dahms, R.N. and Oefelein, J.C. , “On the Transition between Two-Phase and Single-Phase Interface Dynamics in Multicomponent Fluids at Supercritical Pressures,” Physics of Fluids 25(9):092103, 2013.
- Banuti, D.T., Hannemann, V., Hannemann, K., and Weigand, B. , “An Efficient Multi-Fluid-Mixing Model for Real Gas Reacting Flows in Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines,” Combustion and Flame 168:98-112, 2016.
- Mayer, W., Telaar, J., Branam, R., Schneider, G. et al. , “Raman Measurements of Cryogenic Injection at Supercritical Pressure,” Heat and Mass Transfer 39(8):709-719, 2003.
- Matheis, J., Müller, H., Lenz, C., Pfitzner, M. et al. , “Volume Translation Methods for Real-Gas Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations,” The Journal of Supercritical Fluids 107:422-432, 2016.
- Yi, P., Yang, S., Habchi, C., and Lugo, R. , “A Multicomponent Real-Fluid Fully Compressible Four-Equation Model for Two-Phase Flow with Phase Change,” Phys. Fluids 31:026102, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5065781.
- Jarczyk, M. and Pfitzner, M. , “Large Eddy Simulation of Supercritical Nitrogen Jets,” in 50th AIAA Meeting, Nashville, TN, 2012 (AIAA 2012-1270).
- Müller, H., Niedermeier, C.A., Matheis, J., Pfitzner, M. et al. , “Large-Eddy Simulation of Nitrogen Injection at Trans-and Supercritical Conditions,” Physics of Fluids 28(1):015102, 2016.
- Zhang, J., Zhang, X., Wang, T., and Hou, X. , “A Numerical Study on Jet Characteristics under Different Supercritical Conditions for Engine Applications,” Applied Energy 252:113428, 2019.
- Reid, R.C., Prausnitz, J.M., and Poling, B.E. , “The Properties of Gases and Liquids,” 1987.
- Poling, B., Prausnitz, J., and O’Connell, J. , The Properties of Gases and Liquids Fifth Edition (McGraw-Hill, 2000).
- Matheis, J. and Hickel, S. , “Multi-Component Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium Model for LES of High-Pressure Fuel Injection and Application to ECN Spray A,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 99:294-311, 2018.
- Qiu, L. and Reitz, R.D. , “An Investigation of Thermodynamic States during High-Pressure Fuel Injection Using Equilibrium Thermodynamics,” Int. J. Multiphase Flow 72:24-38, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2015.01.011.
- Li, L., Xie, M., Wei, W., Jia, M., and Liu, H. , “Numerical Investigation on Cryogenic Liquid Jet under Transcritical and Supercritical Conditions,” Cryogenics 89:16-28, 2018.
- Chung, T.H. et al. , Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 1988.
- Ferziger, J.H. and Perić, M. , Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics. Vol. 3 (Berlin: Springer, 2002).
- Ma, P.C., Lv, Y., and Ihme, M. , “An Entropy-Stable Hybrid Scheme for Simulations of Transcritical Real-Fluid Flows,” Journal of Computational Physics 340:330-357, 2017.
- Ma, P.C., Wu, H., Banuti, D.T., and Ihme, M. , “On the Numerical Behavior of Diffuse-Interface Methods for Transcritical Real-Fluids Simulations,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 113:231-249, 2019.
- Rodriguez, C., Koukouvinis, P., and Gavaises, M. , “Simulation of Supercritical Diesel Jets Using the PC-SAFT EoS,” The Journal of Supercritical Fluids 145:48-65, 2019.
- Sengers, J.M.H.L. and Kiran, E. , Supercritical Fluids: Fundamentals for Application (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994).