This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Direct Injection Timing and Air Dilution on the Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Stratified Flame Ignited (SFI) Hybrid Combustion in a 4-Stroke PFI/DI Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) combustion can effectively improve the thermal efficiency of conventional spark ignition (SI) gasoline engines, due to shortened combustion processes caused by multi-point auto-ignition. However, its commercial application is limited by the difficulties in controlling ignition timing and violent heat release process at high loads. Stratified flame ignited (SFI) hybrid combustion, a concept in which rich mixture around spark plug is consumed by flame propagation after spark ignition and the unburned lean mixture closing to cylinder wall auto-ignites in the increasing in-cylinder temperature during flame propagation, was proposed to overcome these challenges. The combustion and emissions characteristics in the SFI hybrid combustion were experimentally investigated in a single-cylinder 4-stroke gasoline engine operating at medium to high loads when direct injection timing was retarded from -100 °CA to -40 °CA after top dead center (ATDC) and excess air coefficient was increased from 1.0 to 1.2 at the direct injection ratio of 30%. The experimental results show that direct injection timing and excess air coefficient control the ignition timing and combustion duration. Ignition timing advances with increased excess air coefficient at the same direct injection timing. Long combustion duration occurs at earlier direct injection timing close to -100 °CA ATDC or very late direct injection timing near -40 °CA ATDC at different excess air coefficients. In the meantime, combustion duration reduces with increased excess air coefficient when auto-ignition occurs during the combustion processes, while it increases with excess air coefficient without auto-ignition. Nitrogen oxides emissions increase first and then decrease with retarded direct injection timing at different excess air coefficients, and their maximum values occur at the direct injection timing of -60°CA ATDC.
CitationFu, X., He, B., Li, H., Chen, T. et al., "Effects of Direct Injection Timing and Air Dilution on the Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Stratified Flame Ignited (SFI) Hybrid Combustion in a 4-Stroke PFI/DI Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1139, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1139.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- EU Emission Standards for Passengar Cars, Dieselnet-Online Information Servise on Clean Diesel Engines and Diesel Emissions.
- Zhao, H. , Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development, Volume 1: Gasoline and Gas Engines (Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2010).
- EU CO2 Standards for Passenger Cars and Light-Commercial Vehicles, 2014.
- Alkidas, A.C. , “Combustion Advancements in Gasoline Engines,” Energy Convers. Manag. 48:2751-2761, 2007.
- Alagumalai, A. , “Internal Combustion Engines: Progress and Prospects,” Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 38:561-571, 2014.
- Zhao, H. , HCCI and CAI Engines for the Automotive Industry (Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2007).
- Fu, X.-Q., He, B.-Q., Zhao, H., Zhang, Y. et al. , “The Application of Controlled Auto-Ignition Gasoline Engines-The Challenges and Solutions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0949, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0949.
- Oakley, A., Zhao, H., Ladommatos, N., and Ma, T. , “Experimental Studies on Controlled Auto-ignition (CAI) Combustion of Gasoline in a 4-Stroke Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1030, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1030.
- Yang, J. and Kenney, T. , “Robustness and Performance Near the Boundary of HCCI Operating Regime of a Single-Cylinder OKP Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1082, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1082.
- Fuerhapter, A., Piock, W.F., and Fraidl, G.K. , “CSI - Controlled Auto Ignition - The Best Solution for the Fuel Consumption - versus Emission Trade-Off?” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0754, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0754.
- Xie, H., Yang, L., Qin, J., Gao, R. et al. , “The Effect of Spark Ignition on the CAI Combustion Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3738, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3738.
- Persson, H., Johansson, B., and Remón, A. , “The Effect of Swirl on Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI),” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1856, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1856.
- Law, D., Kemp, D., Allen, J., Kirkpatrick, G., and Copland, T. , “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0251, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0251.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (McGraw-Hill, Inc, 1988).
- Yoshizawa, K., Teraji, A., Miyakubo, H., Yamaguchi, K., and Urushihara, T. , “Study of High Load Operation Limit Expansion for Gasoline Compression Ignition Engines,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 3-17, 2006.
- Wang, Z., He, X., Wang, J.-X., Shuai, S. et al. , “Combustion Visualization and Experimental Study on Spark Induced Compression Ignition (SICI) in Gasoline HCCI Engines,” Energy Convers. Manag. 51:908-917, 2010.
- Lattimore, T., Wang, C., Xu, H., Wyszynski, M.L., and Shuai, S. , “Investigation of EGR Effect on Combustion and PM Emissions.”
- Ikoma, T., Abe, S., Sonoda, Y., Suzuki, H. et al. , “Development of V-6 3.5-liter Engine Adopting New Direct Injection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1259, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1259.
- He, B.-Q., Fu, X.-Q., and Miao, Y. , “Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Methods on Combustion and Particle Emission Characteristics of a Gasoline Engine,” J. Combust. Sci. Technol. 19, 2013.
- Stein, R.A., House, C.J., and Leone, T.G. , “Optimal Use of E85 in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2:670-682, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1490.
- Dec, J.E., Yang, Y., and Dronniou, N. , “Boosted HCCI - Controlling Pressure-Rise Rates for Performance Improvements using Partial Fuel Stratification with Conventional Gasoline,” SAE Int. J. Engines. 4:1169-1189, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0897.
- Wang, X., Zhao, H., and Xie, H. , “Effect of Piston Shapes and Fuel Injection Strategies on Stoichiometric Stratified Flame Ignition (SFI) Hybrid Combustion in a PFI/DI Gasoline Engine by Numerical Simulations,” Energy Convers. Manag. 98:387-400, 2015.
- Chen, T., Xie, H., Li, H., Fu, X., and Zhao, H. , “Experimental Comparison between Stratified Flame Ignition and Micro Flame Ignition in a Gasoline SI-CAI Hybrid Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0737, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0737.
- Joh, M., Huh, K.Y., Noh, S.H., and Choi, K.H. , “Numerical Prediction of Stratified Charge Distribution in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine - Parametric Studies,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0178, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0178.
- Lippert, A.M., El Tahry, S.H., Huebler, M.S., Parrish, S.E. et al. , “Development and Optimization of a Small-Displacement Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine - Stratified Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0033, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0033.
- Xu, Z., Yi, J., Curtis, E.W., and Wooldridge, S. , “Applications of CFD Modeling in GDI Engine Piston Optimization,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2:1749-1763, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1936.
- Fu, X.-Q., He, B.-Q., Li, H., Chen, T. et al. , “Experimental Investigation of Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Stoichiometric Stratified Flame Ignited (SFI) Hybrid Combustion in a 4-stroke PFI/DI Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0960, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0960.
- Liu, M.-B., He, B.-Q., and Zhao, H. , “Effect of Air Dilution and Effective Compression Ratio on the Combustion Characteristics of a HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) Engine Fuelled with n-Butanol,” Energy. 85:296-303, 2015.
- Fu, X.-Q., He, B.-Q., Li, H.-T., Chen, T. et al. , “Effect of Direct Injection Dimethyl Ether on the Micro-Flame Ignited (MFI) Hybrid Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a 4-stroke Gasoline Engine,” Fuel Process. Technol. 167:555-562, 2017.
- Liu, M.-B. , Investigation on Combustion Characteristics of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with n-Butanol/Ethanol-Gasoline Blends at High Exhaust Gas Dilution (Tianjin University, 2018).