This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigations on Strong Knocking Combustion under Advanced Compression Ignition Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) combined with high compression ratio is an effective way to improve engines’ thermal efficiency. However, the severe thermodynamic conditions at high load may induce knocking combustion thus damage the engine body. In this study, advanced compression ignition knocking characteristics were parametrically investigated through RCM experiments and simulation analysis. First, the knocking characteristics were optically investigated. The experimental results show that there even exists detonation when the knock occurs thus the combustion chamber is damaged. Considering both safety and costs, the effects of different initial conditions were numerically investigated and the results show that knocking characteristics is more related to initial pressure other than initial temperature. The initial pressure has a great influence on peak pressure and knock intensity while the initial temperature on knock onset. Further analysis shows that knock intensity is mainly related to the energy density of the in-cylinder mixture and energy density is higher under higher pressure conditions. Then the effects of different cylinder wall temperature on the local autoignition thus knocking characteristics were further discussed. The results show that the increase of wall temperature can reduce the peak pressure and knock intensity, which is ascribed to that autoignition of the end gas is inhibited under high wall temperature conditions. Thus, the type of engine knock is translated from an SI-type knock to an HCCI-type knock. And HCCI-type knock is milder because the overpressure is over the whole combustion chamber. Finally, knocking combustion under different turbulence intensity were qualitatively evaluated by the function of MAPPING. It shows the autoignition is a little delayed under high turbulence intensity due to the enhanced mass and heat transfer. However, the knocking characteristics are nearly the same under the three turbulence conditions in terms of combustion phase and knock intensity, which proved the conclusion that knock intensity mainly depends on energy density.
CitationChen, L., Pan, J., and Zhao, J., "Numerical Investigations on Strong Knocking Combustion under Advanced Compression Ignition Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1137, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1137.
- Reitz, R.D. , “Directions in Internal Combustion Engine Research,” Combust Flame 160:1-8, 2013.
- Guzzella, L., Wenger, U., and Martin, R. , “IC-Engine Downsizing and Pressure-Wave Supercharging for Fuel Economy,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1019, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1019.
- Lecointe, B. and Monnier, G. , “Downsizing a Gasoline Engine Using Turbocharging with Direct Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0542, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0542.
- Yao, M., Zheng, Z., and Liu, H. , “Progress and Recent Tends in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 35(5):398-437, 2009.
- Kobayashi, K. et al. , “Development of HCCI Natural Gas Engines,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 3:651-656, 2011.
- Wang, Z., Liu, H., and Reitz, R.D. , “Knocking Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Prog Energ Combust 61:78-112, 2017.
- Guo, H. and Neill, W.S. , “The Effect of Hydrogen Addition on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of an n-Heptane Fuelled HCCI Engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 38(26):11429-11437, 2013.
- Saxena, S. and Bedoya, I.D. , “Fundamental Phenomena Affecting Low Temperature Combustion and HCCI Engines, High Load Limits and Strategies for Extending These Limits,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 39(5):457-488, 2013.
- Broatch, A., Margot, X., Novella, R., and Gomez-Soriano, J. , “Combustion Noise Analysis of Partially Premixed Combustion Concept Using Gasoline Fuel in a 2-Stroke Engine,” Energy 107:612-624, 2016.
- Yoshizawa, K., Teraji, A., Miyakubo, H., Yamaguchi, K. et al. , “Study of High Load Operation Limit Expansion for Gasoline Compression Ignition Engines,” J Eng Gas Turbines Power 128:377, 2006.
- Park, S.S., Jung, Y., and Bae, C. , “Diesel Knock Visualization and Frequency Analysis of Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Combustion with a Narrow Injection Angle,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0906, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0906.
- Azimov, U., Kawahara, N., and Tomita, E. , “UVevisible Light Absorption by Hydroxyl and Formaldehyde and Knocking Combustion in a DME-HCCI Engine,” Fuel 98:164-175, 2012.
- Pan, J., Shu, G., and Wei, H. , “Interaction of Flame Propagation and Pressure Waves during Knocking Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Combust Sci Technol 186:192-209, 2014.
- Pöschl, M. and Sattelmayer, T. , “Influence of Temperature Inhomogeneities on Knocking Combustion,” Combust. Flame 153:562-573, 2008.
- Tanoue, K., Jimoto, T., Kimura, T., Yamamoto, M. et al. , “Effect of Initial Temperature and Fuel Properties on Knock Characteristics in a Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 36:3523-3531, 2017.
- Qi, Y., Wang, Z., Wang, J., and He, X. , “Effects of Thermodynamic Conditions on the End Gas Combustion Mode Associated with Engine Knock,” Combust. Flame 162:4119-4128, 2015.
- Park, P. and Keck, J.C. , “Rapid Compression Machine Measurements of Ignition Delays for Primary Reference Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 900027, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900027.
- Lee, D. and Hochgreb, S. , “Rapid Compression Machines: Heat Transfer and Suppression of Corner Vortex,” Combust. Flame 114:531-545, 1998.
- Hu, Z., Pan, J., Wei, H., Ma, G. et al. , “Optical Experiments on Strong Knocking Combustion in Rapid Compression Machines with Different Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1142, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1142.
- Pan, J., Hu, Z., Wei, H., Pan, M. et al. , “Understanding Strong Knocking Mechanism through High-Strength Optical Rapid Compression Machines,” Combust. Flame 2012:1-15, 2019.
- Zhen, X., Wang, Y., and Zhu, Y. , “Study of Knock in a High Compression Ratio SI Methanolengine Using LES with Detailed Chemical Kinetics,” Energy Convers Manage 75:523-531, 2013.
- Liu, Y.D., Jia, M., Xie, M.Z., and Pang, B. , “Enhancement on a Skeletal Kinetic Model for Primary Reference Fuel Oxidation by Using a Semidecoupling Methodology,” Energy Fuel 26:7069-7083, 2016.
- Wang, H., Yao, M., and Reitz, R.D. , “Development of a Reduced Primary Reference Fuel Mechanism for Internal Combustion Engine Combustion Simulations,” Energy Fuel 27:7843-7853, 2013.
- Li, Y., Jia, M., Liu, Y. et al. , “Numerical Study on the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Methanol/Diesel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Engine,” Appl Energy 106:184-197, 2013.
- Weber, B., Sung, C., and Renfro, M. , “On the Uncertainty of Temperature Estimation in a Rapid Compression Machine,” Combust. Flame 162:2518-2528, 2015.
- Zheng, Z.Q., Fang, X.H., Liu, H.F., Geng, C. et al. , “Study on the Flame Development Patterns and Flame Speeds from Homogeneous Charge to Stratified Charge by Fueling n-Heptane in an Optical Engine,” Combust Flame 199:213-229, 2019.
- Wei, H., Zhao, J., Zhou, L., Xu, Z. et al. , “Pressure Oscillation with Destructive Effect of Flame Propagation of a Stoichiometric Hydrogen-Air Mixture in a Confined Space,” Journal of Hazardous Materials 344:246-273, 2018.
- Pan, J., Shu, G., Wei, H., and Pan, M. , “Hydrogen Addition Effect on a Reaction Front Propagation in NTC-Affected Auto-Igniting Mixture,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40:12522-12530, 2015.
- Zahdeh, A., Rothenberger, P., Nguyen, W., Anbarasu, M. et al. , “Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):246-273, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0340.
- Wang, Z., Liu, H., Song, T., Qi, Y. et al. , “Relationship between Super-Knock and Pre-Ignition,” Int. J. Engine Res. 16(2):166-180, 2015.
- Vafamehr, H., Cairns, A., Sampson, O., and Koupaie, M. , “The Competing Chemical and Physical Effects of Transient Fuel Enrichment on Heavy Knock in an Optical Spark Ignition Engine,” Appl Energy 179:687-697, 2016.
- Wei, H., Chen, C., Zhou, H., Zhao, W. et al. , “Effect of Turbulent Mixing on the End Gas Auto-Ignition of n-Heptane/Air Mixtures under IC Engine-Relevant conditions,” Combust Flame 1:25-36, 2016.