This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of Fuel Impacts on Advanced Compression Ignition Strategies for Multi-Mode Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Multi-mode combustion strategies may provide a promising pathway to improve thermal efficiency in light-duty spark ignition (SI) engines by enabling switchable combustion modes, wherein an engine may operate under advanced compression ignition (ACI) at low load and spark-assisted ignition at high load. The extension from the SI mode to the ACI mode requires accurate control of intake charge conditions, e.g., pressure, temperature and equivalence ratio, in order to achieve stable combustion phasing and rapid mode-switches. This study presents results from computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis to gain insights into mixture charge formation and combustion dynamics pertaining to auto-ignition processes. The computational study begins with a discussion of thermal wall boundary condition that significantly impacts the combustion phasing. The validated model setup with the properly optimized boundary condition was verified across broad range of engine load conditions with varying air-excess ratios, intake air charge temperatures, and two RON 98 fuels (Alkylate and E30). The overall trend in the reactivity of ACI combustion was found to be heavily impacted by the wall temperature condition, which has not been highlighted in previous experimental ACI engine studies. This suggests that major uncertainties in the CFD study of ACI engines may result from the unknown wall heat transfer rate. In addition, the obtained results reveal a distinct range of wall temperatures required for each of the fuels employed in this study, suggesting that fuel properties impact the mixture charge reactivity in response to a change in thermal wall boundary condition.
CitationKim, S., Kim, J., Shah, A., Scarcelli, R. et al., "Numerical Analysis of Fuel Impacts on Advanced Compression Ignition Strategies for Multi-Mode Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1124, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1124.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Sellnau, M., Moore, W., Sinnamon, J., Hoyer, K. et al. , “GDCI Multi-Cylinder Engine for High Fuel Efficiency and Low Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):775-790, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0834.
- Cung, T., Rockstroh, T., Ciatti, S., Cannella, W., and Goldsborough, S.S. , “Parametric Study of Ignition and Combustion Characteristics From a Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine Using Two Different Reactivity Fuels,” in ASME ICEF, Greenville, SC, 2016.
- Chang, J., Viollet, Y., Amer, A., and Kalghatgi, G. , “Fuel Economy Potential of Partially Premixed Compression Ignition (PPCI) Combustion with Naphtha Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2701, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2701.
- Ciatti, S., Johanson, M., Knock, A., Adhikary, B., and Reitz, R. , “Efficiency and Emissions performance of Multizone Stratified Compression Ignition Using Different Octane Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0263, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0263.
- Risberg, P. and Kalghatgi, G.Å.H.-E. , “Auto-ignition Quality of Gasoline-Like Fuels in HCCI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3215, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3215.
- Yates, A.D.B., Swarts, A., and Viljoen, C.L. , “Correlating Auto-Ignition Delays and Knock-Limited Spark-Advance Data for Different Types of Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2083, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2083.
- Splitter, D., Gilliam, A.S.J.P., and Ghandhi, J. , “Effects of Pre-spark Heat Release on Engine Knock Limit,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 37(4):4893-4900, 2018.
- Livengood, J.C. and Wu, P. , “Correlation of Autoignition Phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines,” Symposium (International) on Combustion 5(1):347-356, 1955.
- Yates, A.D.B. and Viljoen, C.L. , “An Improved Empirical Model for Describing Auto-ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1629, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1629.
- Pan, J., Zhao, P., Law, C.K., and Wei, H. , “A Predictive Livengood-Wu Correlation for Two-Stage Ignition,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(8):825-835, 2016.
- Khaled, F., Badra, J., and Farooq, A. , “Ignition Delay Time Correlation of Fuel Blends Based on Livengood-Wu Description,” Fuel 209(1):776-786, 2017.
- Rockstroh, T., Fridlyand, A., Ciatti, S., Cannella, W., and Goldsborough, S.S. , “Autoignition Behavior of a Full Boiling-Range Gasoline: Observations in RCM and GCI Engine Environments,” Combustion and Flame 209:239-255, 2019.
- Mingyuan, T., Peng, Z., Szybist, J.P., Lynch, P., and Haiwen, G. , “Insights into Engine Autoignition: Combining Engine Thermodynamic Trajectory and Fuel Ignition Delay Iso-Contour,” Combustion and Flame 200:207-218, 2019.
- Tao, M., Wu, T., Ge, H., DelVescovo, D., and Zhao, P. , “A Kinetic Modeling Study on Octane Rating and Fuel Sensitivity in Advanced Compression Ignition Engines,” Combustion and Flame 185:234-244, 2017.
- Szybist, J.P., Wagnon, S.W., Splitter, D., Pitz, W.J., and Mehl, M. , “The Reduced Effectiveness of EGR to Mitigate Knock at High Loads in Boosted SI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5):2305-2318, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/24-0061.
- Shah, A., Kang, D., Goldsborough, S., and Rockstroh, T. , “Utilizing Static Autoignition Measurements to Estimate Intake Air Condition Requirements for Compression Ignition in a Multi-Mode Engine - Engine and RCM Experimental Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0957, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0957.
- Szybist, J.P. and Splitter, D.A. , “Pressure and Temperature Effects on Fuels with Varying Octane Sensitivity at High Load in SI Engines,” Combustion and Flame 177:49-66, 2017.
- Kang, D., Shah, A., Rockstroh, T., and Goldsborough, S. , “Utilizing Static Autoignition Measurements to Estimate Intake Air Condition Requirements for Compression Ignition in a Multi-Mode Engine - Application of Chemical Kinetic Modeling,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0955, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0955.
- Sjöberg, M. and Dec, J.E. , “Smoothing HCCI Heat-Release Rates Using Partial Fuel Stratification with Two-Stage Ignition Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0629, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0629.
- Kim, S., Kim, J., Shah, A., Pal, P., Scarcelli, R., Rockstroh, T., Som, S., Wu, Y. and Lu, T. , “Numerical Study of Advanced Compression Ignition and Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” in ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference ICEF 2019, 2019.
- Talei, M. and Hawkes, E.R. , “Ignition in Compositionally and Thermally Stratified,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 35:3027-3035, 2015.
- Bansal, G. and Im, H.G. , “Autoignition and Front Propagation in Low Temperature Combustion Engine Environments,” Combustion and Flame 158(11):2105-2112, 2011.
- Echekki, T. and Chen, J.H. , “Direct Numerical Simulation of Autoignition in Non-Homogeneous Hydrogen-Air Mixtures,” Combustion and Flame 134(3):169-191, 2003.
- Yoshimura, K., Mori, S., Nakama, K., and Kusaka, J. , “Studies on the Effect of In-Cylinder Charge Stratifications on High Load HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0010, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0010.
- Dec, J.E. and Sjöberg, M. , “Isolating the Effects of Fuel Chemistry on Combustion Phasing in an HCCI Engine and the Potential of Fuel Stratification for Ignition Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0557, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0557.
- Sjöberg, M. and Dec, J.E. , “EGR and Intake Boost for Managing HCCI Low-Temperature Heat Release over Wide Ranges of Engine Speed,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0051, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0051.
- Sjöberg, M., Dec, J.E., and Cernansky, N. , “Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engines, based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0113, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0113.
- Sjöberg, M., Dec, J.E., and Babajimopoulos, A. , “Comparing Enhanced Natural Thermal Stratification against Retarded Combustion Phasing for Smoothing of HCCI Heat-Release Rates,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2994, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2994.
- Chang, K., Babajimopoulos, A., Lavoie, G.A., Filipi, Z.S., and Assanis, D.N. , “Analysis of Load and Speed Transitions in an HCCI Engine Using 1-D Cycle Simulation and Thermal Networks,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1087, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1087.
- Aceves, S.M., Flowers, D.L., Martinez-Frias, J., Smith, J.R. et al. , “A Sequential Fluid-Mechanic Chemical-Kinetic Model of Propane HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1027, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1027.
- Chang, J., Filipi, Z.S., Assanis, D.N., Kuo, T.-W. et al. , “Characterizing the Thermal Sensitivity of a Gasoline Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Measurement of Instantaneous Wall Temperature and Heat Flux,” International Journal Engine Research 6:289-309, 2005.
- McCormick, R.L. , “Co-Optimization of Fuels & Engines: Properties of Co-Optima Core Research Gasolines,” 2018.
- Kolodziez, C.P., Oamminger, M., Sevik, J., Wallner, T. et al. , “Effects of Fuel Laminar Flame Speed Compared to Engine Tumble Ratio, Ignition Energy, and Injection Strategy on Lean and EGR Dilute Spark Ignition Combustion,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(1):82-94, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0671.
- Wallner, T., Sevik, J., Scarcelli, R., Kaul, B.C., and Wagner, R.M. , “Effects of Ignition and Injection Perturbation under Lean and Dilute GDI Engine Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1871, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1871.
- Richards, K.J., Senecal, P.K., and Pomraning, E. , CONVERGE 2.4, Convergent Science, 2018.
- Pomraning, E., Richards, K., and Senecal, P.K. , “Modeling Turbulent Combustion Using a RANS Model, Detailed Chemistry, and Adaptive Mesh Refinement,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1116, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1116.
- Xu, C., Pal, P., Ren, X., Som, S., Sjöberg, M., Dam, N.V., Wu, Y., Lu, T., and McNenly, M. , “Numerical Investigation of Fuel Property Effects on Mixed-Mode Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” in Proceedings of the ASME-ICEF 2019, 2019.
- Yue, Z. and Som, S. , “Fuel Property Effects on Knock Propensity and Thermal Efficiency in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” Applied Energy, 2019, in press.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Assanis, D.N., Flowers, D.L., Aceves, S.M., and Hessel, R.P. , “A Fully Coupled Computational Fluid Dynamics and Multizone Model with Detailed Chemical Kinetics for the Simulation of Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engines,” International Journal Engine Research 6(5):497-512, 2005.
- Reitz, R.D. , “Modeling Atomization Processes in High-Pressure Vaporizing Sprays,” Atomization and Sprays 3(4):309-337, 1987.
- Amsden, A.A. , “KIVA-3V: A Block-Structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves,” Los Alamos National Laboratory Technical Report LA-13313-MS, 1997.
- Dam, N.V., Sjöberg, M., and Som, S. , “Large-Eddy Simulations of Spray Variability Effects on Flow Variability in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine Under Non-Combusting Operating Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0196, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0196.
- Kundu, P., Scarcelli, R., Som, S., Lckes, A. et al. , “Modeling Heat Loss through Pistons and Effect of Thermal Boundary Coatings in Diesel Engine Simulations using a Conjugate Heat Transfer Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2235, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2235.
- Kavuri, C. and Anders, J. , “Methodology to Perform Conjugate Heat Transfer Modeling for a Piston on a Sector Geometry for Direct-Injection Internal Combustion Engine Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0210, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0210.
- Wu, A., Keum, S., Geene, M., Reuss, D., and Sick, V. , “Comparison of Near-Wall Flow and Heat Transfer of an Internal Combustion Engine Using Particle,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 141, 2019.
- Chang, K., Lavoie, G.A., Babajimopoulos, A., Filipi, Z.S., and Assanis, D.N. , “Control of a Multi-Cylinder HCCI Engine During Transient Operation by Modulating Residual Gas Fraction to Compensate for Wall Temperature Effects,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0204, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0204.
- Wilhelmsson, C., Vressner, A., Tunestål, P., Johansson, B. et al. , “Combustion Chamber Wall Temperature Measurement and Modeling during Transient HCCI Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3731, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3731.