This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Wear Resistance of Austempered Gray Cast Iron Using Shot-Peening Treatment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this research, ball-on-plate reciprocating sliding wear tests were utilized on austempered and quench-tempered gray cast iron samples with and without shot-peening treatment. The wear volume loss of the gray cast iron samples with different heat treatment designs was compared under equivalent hardness. The phase transformation in the matrix was studied using metallurgical evaluation and hardness measurement. It was found that thin needle-like ferrite became coarse gradually with increasing austempering temperature and was converted into feather-like shape when using the austempering temperatures of 399°C (750°F). The residual stress on the surface and sub-surface before and after shot-peening treatment was analyzed using x-ray diffraction. Compressive residual stress was produced after shot-peening treatment and showed an increasing trend with austempering temperature. In sliding wear tests, austempered gray cast iron had lower wear volume loss than quench-tempered gray cast iron before and after shot-peening treatment. The wear tracks were examined using scanning electron microscopy. Delamination and smearing were the main wear mechanisms on the gray cast iron samples.
CitationLiu, Y., Barber, G., Cui, W., and Wang, B., "Improved Wear Resistance of Austempered Gray Cast Iron Using Shot-Peening Treatment," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1098, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Gelfi, M., Gorini, D., Pola, A., and Vecchia, G. , “Effect of Titanium on the Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Gray Cast Iron for Automotive Applications,” J. Mater. Eng. Perform. 25(9):3896-3903, 2016.
- Shin, M., Jang, G., Kim, J., Kim, H., and Jang, H. , “The Effect of Residual Stress on the Distortion of Gray Iron Brake Disks,” J. Mater. Eng. Perform. 22(4):1129-1135, 2013.
- Li, J., Wang, P., Cui, X., Li, K., and Yi, R. , “Gray Cast Iron Cylinder Head Thermal Mechanical Fatigue Analysis,” in Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress, 2012, 243-257.
- Choo, S., Lee, S., and Kwon, S. , “Surface Hardening of a Gray Cast Iron Used for a Diesel Engine Cylinder Block Using High-Energy Electron Beam Irradiation,” Metall. Mater. Trans. A. 30(5):1211-1221, 1999.
- Moonesan, M., Raouf, A., Madah, F., and Zadeh, A. , “Effect of Alloying Elements on Thermal Shock Resistance of Gray Cast Iron,” J. Alloys Compd. 520:226-231, 2012.
- Kovacs, B. and Keough, J. , “Physical Properties and Application of Austempered Gray Iron,” AFS Trans. 93, 283-141, 291, 1993.
- Hsu, C., Shy, Y., Yu, Y., and Lee, S. , “Effect of Austempering Heat Treatment on Fracture Toughness of Copper Alloyed Gray Iron,” Mater. Chem. Phys. 63(1):75-81, 2000.
- Rundman, K., Parolini, J., and Moore, D. , “Relationship between Tensile Properties and Matrix Microstructure in Austempered Gray Iron,” AFS Trans. 145:51-55, 2005.
- Olawale, J., Oluwaseguun, K., and Ezemenaka, D. , “Production of Austempered Gray Iron (AGI) Using Forced Air Cooling,” Mater. Perform. Charact. 3:355-370, 2014.
- Rao, P. and Putatunda, S. , “Influence of Microstructure on Fracture Toughness of Austempered Ductile Iron,” Metall Mater. Trans. A. 28(7):1457-1470, 1997.
- Haseeb, A., Islam, M., and Bepari, M. , “Tribological Behaviour of Quenched and Tempered, and Austempered Ductile Iron at the Same Hardness Level,” Wear. 244(1-2):15-19, 2000.
- Eric, O., Rajnovic, D., Zec, S., Sidjanin, L., and Jovanovic, M. , “Microstructure and Fracture of Alloyed Austempered Ductile Iron,” Mater. Charact. 57(4-5):211-217, 2006.
- Tartaglia, J., Lazzari, K., Hui, G., and Hayrynen, K. , “A Comparison of Mechanical Properties and Hydrogen Embrittlement Resistance of Austempered Vs Quenched and Tempered 4340 Steel,” Metall. Mater. Trans. A. 39(5):1236, 2008.
- Bahmani, M., Elliott, R., and Varahram, N. , “Austempered Ductile Iron: A Competitive Alternative for Forged Induction-Hardened Steel Crankshafts,” Int. J. Cast Met. Res. 9(5):249-257, 1997.
- Vadiraj, A., Balachandran, G., Kamaraj, M., Gopalakrishna, B., and Rao, K. , “Structure-Property Correlation in Austempered Alloyed Hypereutectic Gray Cast Irons,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 527(3):782-788, 2010.
- Sarkar, T. and Sutradhar, G. , “Investigation on Mechanical Properties and Wear Behavior of cu-Alloyed Austempered Gray Cast Iron (AGI),” Sādhanā 43(10):161, 2018.
- Benedetti, M., Fontanari, V., Hohn, B., Oster, P., and Tobie, T. , “Influence of Shot Peening on Bending Tooth Fatigue Limit of Case Hardened Gears,” Int. J. Fatigue. 24(11):1127-1136, 2002.
- Zammit, A., Bonnici, M., Mhaede, M., Wan, R., and Wagner, L. , “Shot Peening of Austempered Ductile Iron Gears,” Surf. Eng. 33(9):679-686, 2017.
- Harada, Y., Kosaka, H., and Ishihara, M. , “Effect of Shot Peening on Fatigue Strength of High-Toughness Spring Steel,” Steel Res. Int. 84(12):1333-1339, 2013.
- Lv, Y., Lei, L., and Sun, L. , “Effect of Shot Peening on the Fatigue Resistance of Laser Surface Melted 20CrMnTi Steel Gear,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 629:8-15, 2015.
- Ochi, Y., Masaki, K., Matsumura, T., and Sekino, T. , “Effect of Shot-Peening Treatment on High Cycle Fatigue Properties of Ductile Cast Iron,” Int. J. Fatigue. 23(5):441-448, 2001.
- Sanjurjo, P., Rodriguez, C., Pariente, I., Belzunce, F., and Canteli, A. , “The Influence of Shot Peening on the Fatigue Behaviour of Duplex Stainless Steel,” Procedia Eng. 2(1):1539-1546, 2010.
- Wang, B., Han, X., Barber, G., and Pan, Y. , “Wear Behavior of Austempered and Quenched and Tempered Gray Cast Irons under Similar Hardness,” Metals. 9:1329, 2019.
- Wang, B., Barber, G., Sun, X., Shaw, M., and Seaton, P. , “Characteristics of the Transformation of Retained Austenite in Tempered Austempered Ductile Iron,” J. Mater. Eng. Perform. 26:2095-2101, 2017.
- Sarkar, T. and Sutradhara, G. , “Investigation of Austenitizing Temperature on Wear Behavior of Austempered Gray Iron (AGI),” IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng. 149:012048, 2016.
- Zammit, A., Abela, S., Wagner, L., Mhaede, M., and Grech, M. , “Tribological Behaviour of Shot Peened cu-Ni Austempered Ductile Iron,” Wear 302(1-2):829-836, 2013.
- Zammit, A., Mhaede, M., Grech, M., Abela, S., and Wagner, L. , “Influence of Shot Peening on the Fatigue Life of Cu-Ni Austempered Ductile Iron,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A. 545:78-85, 2012.
- Zammit, A., Abela, S., Wagner, L., Mhaede, M. et al. , “The Effect of Shot Peening on the Scuffing Resistance of Cu-Ni Austempered Ductile Iron,” Surf. Coat. Technol. 308:213-219, 2016.