This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Human Response to Vibrations and Its Contribution to the Overall Ride Comfort in Automotive Vehicles - A Literature Review
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The various factors that affect ride comfort, including noise, vibrations and harshness (NVH) have been in focus in many research studies due to an increasing demand in ride comfort in the automotive industry. Vibrations have been highlighted as an important contribution to assess and predict overall ride comfort. The purpose of this paper is to present an approach to explain ride comfort with respect to vibration for the seated occupant based on a systematic literature review of previous fundamental research and to relate these results to the application in the contemporary automotive industry. The results from the literature study show that numerous research studies have determined how vibration frequency, magnitude, direction, duration affect human response to vibration. Also, the studies have highlighted how body posture, age, gender and anthropometry affect the human perception of comfort. An analysis was made of the consistency and inconsistency of the results obtained in the different studies. The deviations of the research results from real-world ride comfort in automotive vehicles were analyzed and divided into three groups: appreciable and consistent with industry results, appreciable and inconsistent with industry results and not appreciable in industrial results. The overall conclusion from this literature study was that there is much information available from laboratory studies regarding human response to vibrations, but there is a lack of studies that take into account all the different parameters that affect the overall ride comfort experience for automotive vehicle occupants.
CitationWang, X., Osvalder, A., Höstmad, P., and Johansson, I., "Human Response to Vibrations and Its Contribution to the Overall Ride Comfort in Automotive Vehicles - A Literature Review," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1085, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1085.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
- Lyons, G. and Urry, J. , “Travel Time Use in the Information Age,” Transp. Res. Part A Policy Pract., 2005, doi:10.1016/j.tra.2004.09.004.
- Wallington, T.J. and Wiesen, P. , “N2O Emissions from Global Transportation,” Atmos. Environ. 94:258-263, 2014.
- Greene, D.L., Baker, H.H. Jr, and Plotkin, S.E. , “Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from US Transportation,” 2010.
- Vilhelmson, B. , “Daily Mobility and the Use of Time for Different Activities. The Case of Sweden,” GeoJournal, 1999, doi:10.1023/A:1007075524340.
- Guignard, J. and Vibration, C. , A Textb. Aviat. Physiol., 813-894, 1965.
- Guignard, J.C. , “A Text Book of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology,” Biological Responses, 1985.
- Hood, W.B., Murray, R.H., Urschel, C.W., Bowers, J.A., and Clark, J.G. , “Cardiopulmonary Effects of Whole-Body Vibration in Man,” J. Appl. Physiol, 1966.
- Zhang, L., Helander, M.G., and Drury, C.G. , “Identifying Factors of Comfort and Discomfort in Sitting,” Hum. Factors, 1996, doi:10.1518/001872096778701962.
- Slater, K. , Human Comfort. Vol. 1 (USA: Springfield, Ill, CC Thomas, 1985).
- Keegan, J.J. , “Alterations of the Lumbar Curve Related to Posture and Seating,” JBJS 35:589-603, 1953.
- Sheng, G. , Vehicle Noise, Vibration, and Sound Quality (SAE, 2012).
- Corbridge, C. , Vibration in Vehicles: Its Effect on Comfort, 1987.
- Griffin, M.J. and Erdreich, J. , “Handbook of Human Vibration,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 1991, doi:10.1121/1.401606.
- Gillespie, T.D. , Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics. Vol. 400 (Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers, 1992).
- Von, H.E.G. and Coermann, R.R. , “The Biodynamics of Human Response to Vibration and Impact,” Rev. Med. Aeronaut. 2:201-203, 1961.
- Nawayseh, N. , “Effect of the Seating Condition on the Transmission of Vibration through the Seat Pan and Backrest,” Int. J. Ind. Ergon. 45:82-90, 2015.
- Giacomin, J. and Woo, Y.J. , “Steering System Vibration: Information and Perception Enhancement,” ATZ Automob. Zeitschrift 107:422-429, 2005.
- Morioka, M. and Griffin, M.J. , “Equivalent Comfort Contours for Vertical Vibration of Steering Wheels: Effect of Vibration Magnitude, Grip Force, and Hand Position,” Appl. Ergon. 40:817-825, 2009.
- International Standards Organization , ISO_2631-1_1997_Mechanical_Vibration_Shock_Evaluation_Human.pdf. Order A Journal On The Theory Of Ordered Sets And Its Applications, 1997.
- British Standards Institution , “BS 6841:1987 Guide to Measurement and Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole-Body Mechanical Vibration and Repeated Shock,” BSI, 1987.
- Arnold, J.J. and Griffin, M.J. , “Equivalent Comfort Contours for Fore-and-Aft, Lateral, and Vertical Whole-Body Vibration in the Frequency Range 1.0 to 10 Hz,” Ergonomics 61:1545-1559, 2018.
- Zhou, Z. and Griffin, M.J. , “Response of the Seated Human Body to Whole-Body Vertical Vibration: Biodynamic Responses to Sinusoidal and Random Vibration,” Ergonomics 57:693-713, 2014.
- De Silva, C.W. , “Human Response to Vibration,” in Vibration Monitoring, Testing, and Instrumentation, 2007, 641-649 .
- Morioka, M. and Griffin, M.J. , “Magnitude-Dependence of Equivalent Comfort Contours for Fore-and-Aft, Lateral and Vertical Whole-Body Vibration,” J. Sound Vib. 298:755-772, 2006.
- Jones, A.J. and Saunders, D.J. , “Equal Comfort Contours for Whole Body Vertical, Pulsed Sinusoidal Vibration,” J. Sound Vib., 1972, doi:10.1016/0022-460X(72)90785-7.
- Shoenberger, R.W. and Harris, C.S. , “Psychophysical Assessment of Whole-Body Vibration,” Hum. Factors J. Hum. Factors Ergon. Soc., 1971, doi:10.1177/001872087101300106.
- Fothergill, L.C., Fothehgul, L.C., and Grifexn, M.J. , “The Subjective Magnitude of Whole-Body Vibration,” Ergonomics 20:521-533, 1977.
- Zheng, G., Qiu, Y., and Griffin, M.J. , “Fore-and-Aft and Dual-Axis Vibration of the Seated Human Body: Nonlinearity, Cross-Axis Coupling, and Associations between Resonances in the Transmissibility and Apparent Mass,” Int. J. Ind. Ergon. 69:58-65, 2019.
- Toward, M.G.R. and Griffin, M.J. , “Apparent Mass of the Human Body in the Vertical Direction: Inter-Subject Variability,” J. Sound Vib. 330:827-841, 2011.
- Holmlund, P., Lundström, R., and Lindberg, L. , “Mechanical Impedance of the Human Body in Vertical Direction,” Appl. Ergon. 31:415-422, 2000.
- Holmlund, P. and Lundström, R. , “Mechanical Impedance of the Human Body in the Horizontal Direction,” J. Sound Vib., 1998, doi:10.1006/jsvi.1998.1593.
- Mandapuram, S., Rakheja, S., Boileau, P.É., and Maeda, S. , “Apparent Mass and Head Vibration Transmission Responses of Seated Body to Three Translational Axis Vibration,” Int. J. Ind. Ergon. 42:268-277, 2012.
- Bhiwapurkar, M.K., Saran, V.H., and Harsha, S.P. , “Effects of Posture and Vibration Magnitude on Seat to Head Transmissibility during Exposure to Fore-and-Aft Vibration,” J. Low Freq. Noise Vib. Act. Control 38:826-838, 2019.
- Mansfield, N.J. , “Impedance Methods (Apparent Mass, Driving Point Mechanical Impedance and Absorbed Power) for Assessment of the Biomechanical Response of the Seated Person to Whole-Body Vibration,” Industrial Health, 2005, doi:10.2486/indhealth.43.378.
- Kitazaki, S. and Griffin, M.J. , “A Data Correction Method for Surface Measurement of Vibration on the Human Body,” J. Biomech. 28:885-890, 1995.
- Sezgin, A. and Yagiz, N. , “Analysis of Passenger Ride Comfort,” in MATEC Web of Conferences, 2012, 1.
- Wei, L. and Griffin, M.J. , “Mathematical Models for the Apparent Mass of the Seated Human Body Exposed to Vertical Vibration,” J. Sound Vib. 212:855-874, 1998.
- Zheng, G., Qiu, Y., and Griffin, M.J. , “An Analytic Model of the In-Line and Cross-Axis Apparent Mass of the Seated Human Body Exposed to Vertical Vibration with and without a Backrest,” J. Sound Vib. 330:6509-6525, 2011.
- Kitazaki, S. and Griffin, M.J. , “A Modal Analysis of Whole-Body Vertical Vibration, Using a Finite Element Model of the Human Body,” J. Sound Vib. 200:83-103, 1997.
- Cho, H.Y., Han, M., Hirao, A., and Matsuoka, H. , “Virtual Occupant Model for Riding Comfort Simulation,” in Proc. 12th Int. Model. Conf. Prague, Czech Republic, May 15-17, 2017, 132, 27-34.
- Siefert, A., Hofmann, J., Veeraraghavan, A., and Lu, Y. , “Numerical Methods for Combined Analysis of Seat and Ride-Comfort,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0404, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0404.
- Nawayseh, N. and Griffin, M.J. , “Power Absorbed during Whole-Body Fore-and-Aft Vibration: Effects of Sitting Posture, Backrest, and Footrest,” J. Sound Vib., 2012, doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2011.08.015.
- Huang, Y. and Griffin, M.J. , “Nonlinearity in Apparent Mass and Transmissibility of the Supine Human Body during Vertical Whole-Body Vibration,” J. Sound Vib. 324:429-452, 2009.
- Zhou, Z. and Griffin, M.J. , “Response of the Seated Human Body to Whole-Body Vertical Vibration: Discomfort Caused by Sinusoidal Vibration,” Ergonomics 57:714-732, 2014.
- Basri, B. and Griffin, M.J. , “Equivalent Comfort Contours for Vertical Seat Vibration: Effect of Vibration Magnitude and Backrest Inclination,” Ergonomics, 2012, doi:10.1080/00140139.2012.678390.
- Matsumoto, Y. and Griffin, M.J. , “Non-Linear Characteristics in the Dynamic Responses of Seated Subjects Exposed to Vertical Whole-Body Vibration,” J. Biomech. Eng. 124:527-532, 2002.
- Matsumoto, Y. and Griffin, M.J. , “Nonlinear Subjective and Biodynamic Responses to Continuous and Transient Whole-Body Vibration in the Vertical Direction,” J. Sound Vib. 287:919-937, 2005.
- Whitham, E.M. and Griffin, M.J. , “The Effects of Vibration Frequency and Direction on the Location of Areas of Discomfort Caused by Whole-Body Vibration,” Appl. Ergon., 1978, doi:10.1016/0003-6870(78)90084-4.
- Griffin, M.J., Whitham, E.M., and Parsons, K.C. , “Vibration and Comfort I: Translational Seat Vibration,” Ergonomics 25:603-630, 1982.
- Beard, G.F. and Griffin, M.J. , “Discomfort during Lateral Acceleration: Influence of Seat Cushion and Backrest,” Appl. Ergon., 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apergo.2012.11.009.
- Fairley, T.E. and Griffin, M.J. , “The Apparent Mass of the Seated Human Body in the Fore-and-Aft and Lateral Directions,” J. Sound Vib. 139:299-306, 1990.
- Nawayseh, N. and Griffin, M.J. , “Non-Linear Dual-Axis Biodynamic Response to Fore-and-Aft Whole-Body Vibration,” J. Sound Vib. 282:831-862, 2005.
- Subashi, G.H.M.J., Nawayseh, N., Matsumoto, Y., and Griffin, M.J. , “Nonlinear Subjective and Dynamic Responses of Seated Subjects Exposed to Horizontal Whole-Body Vibration,” J. Sound Vib. 321:416-434, 2009.
- Wyllie, I.H. and Griffin, M.J. , “Discomfort from sinusoidal oscillation in the pitch and fore-and-aft axes at frequencies between 0.2 and 1.6 Hz,” J. Sound Vib., 2009, doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2009.02.018.
- Beard, G.F. and Griffin, M.J. , “Discomfort Caused by Low-Frequency Lateral Oscillation, Roll Oscillation and Roll-Compensated Lateral Oscillation,” Ergonomics 56:103-114, 2013.
- Griffin, M.J., Whitham, E.M., and Parsons, K.C. , “Vibration and Comfort: II Rotational Seat Vibration,” Ergonomics 25:631-644, 1982.
- Pradko, F. , “Human Response to Random Vibration,” Shock Vib. Bull. 34:173-190, 1965.
- Wyllie, I.H. and Griffin, M.J. , “Discomfort from Sinusoidal Oscillation in the Roll and Lateral Axes at Frequencies between 0.2 and 1.6Hz,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 2007, doi:10.1121/1.2715654.
- Parsons, K.C. and Griffin, M.J. , “The Effect of the Position of the Axis of Rotation on the Discomfort Caused by Whole-Body Roll and Pitch Vibrations of Seated Persons,” J. Sound Vib., 1978, doi:10.1016/S0022-460X(78)80066-2.
- Rakheja, S., Stiharu, I., and Boileau, P.É. , “Seated Occupant Apparent Mass Characteristics under Automotive Postures and Vertical Vibration,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2002, doi:10.1006/jsvi.2001.4249.
- Morioka, M. and Griffin, M.J. , “Magnitude-Dependence of Equivalent Comfort Contours for Fore-and-Aft, Lateral, and Vertical Vibration at the Foot for Seated Persons,” J. Sound Vib., 2010, doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2010.01.026.
- Matsumoto, Y. and Griffin, M.J. , “Dynamic Response of the Standing Human Body Exposed to Vertical Vibration: Influence of Posture and Vibration Magnitude,” J. Sound Vib., 1998, doi:10.1006/jsvi.1997.1376.
- Huang, Y. and Griffin, M.J. , “Nonlinear Dual-Axis Biodynamic Response of the Semi-Supine Human Body during Vertical Whole-Body Vibration,” J. Sound Vib. 312:296-315, 2008.
- Toward, M.G.R. and Griffin, M.J. , “Apparent Mass of the Human Body in the Vertical Direction: Effect of Seat Backrest,” J. Sound Vib. 327:657-669, 2009.
- Wang, W., Rakheja, S., and Boileau, P.É. , “Effects of Sitting Postures on Biodynamic Response of Seated Occupants under Vertical Vibration,” Int. J. Ind. Ergon., 2004, doi:10.1016/j.ergon.2004.04.009.
- Mansfield, N.J. and Griffin, M.J. Effects of Posture and Vibration Magnitude on Apparent Mass and Pelvis Rotation during Exposure to Whole-Body Vertical Vibration. Journal of Sound and Vibration (2002). oi:10.1006/jsvi.2001.4251.
- Nawayseh, N. and Griffin, M.J. , “Non-Linear Dual-Axis Biodynamic Response to Vertical Whole-Body Vibration,” J. Sound Vib. 268:503-523, 2003.
- Jang, H.K. and Griffin, M.J. , “Effect of Phase, Frequency, Magnitude and Posture on Discomfort Associated with Differential Vertical Vibration at the Seat and Feet,” J. Sound Vib. 229:273-286, 2000.
- Bohman, K., Osvalder, A.-L., Ankartoft, R., and Alfredsson, S. , “A Comparison of Seat Belt Fit and Comfort Experience between Older Adults and Younger Front Seat Passengers in Cars,” Traffic Inj. Prev., 2019, doi:10.1080/15389588.2019.1639159.
- Osvalder, A.-L., Bohman, K., Lindman, M., Ankartoft, R., and Alfredsson, S. , “Seat Belt Fit and Comfort for Older Adult Front Seat Passengers in Cars”.
- Ritzel, H., Amling, M., Pösl, M., Hahn, M., and Delling, G. , “The Thickness of Human Vertebral Cortical Bone and Its Changes in Aging and Osteoporosis: A Histomorphometric Analysis of the Complete Spinal Column from Thirty-Seven Autopsy Specimens,” J. Bone Miner. Res., 1997, doi:10.1359/jbmr.19126.96.36.199.
- Fairley, T.E. and Griffin, M.J. , “The Apparent Mass of the Seated Human Body: Vertical Vibration,” J. Biomech., 1989, doi:10.1016/0021-9290(89)90031-6.
- Duarte, M.L.M., de Araújo, P.A., Horta, F.C., Del Vecchio, S. and de Carvalho, L.A.P. Correlation between Weighted Acceleration, Vibration Dose Value and Exposure Time on Whole Body Vibration Comfort Levels Evaluation. Saf. Sci. 103, 218-224 (2018).
- Morioka, M. and Griffin, M.J. , “Absolute Thresholds for the Perception of Fore-and-Aft, Lateral, and Vertical Vibration at the Hand, the Seat, and the Foot,” J. Sound Vib. 314:357-370, 2008.
- Bastiaan, J.M., Green, E., and Kaye, S. , “Preliminary Study of Perceived Vibration Quality for Human Hands,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 1(4):1741-1754, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1522.
- Morioka, M. and Griffin, M.J. , “Frequency Weightings for Fore-and-Aft Vibration at the Back: Effect of Contact Location, Contact Area, and Body Posture,” Ind. Health, 2010, doi:10.2486/indhealth.MSWBVI-05.
- Leatherwood, J.D. , “Human Discomfort Response to Noise Combined with Vertical Vibration,” NASA Tech Pan 1374, 1979.
- Huang, Y. , “Human Response to Combined Noise and Vibration,” (2012).
- Manninen, O. , “Studies of combined effects of sinusoidal whole body vibrations and noise of varying bandwidths and intensities on TTS2 in men,” Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health 51:273-288, 1983.
- Tchernychouk, V., Rakheja, S., Stiharu, I., and Boileau, P.É. , “Study of Occupant-Seat Models for Vibration Comfort Analysis of Automotive Seats,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2688, 2000, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2688.
- Adam, S.A. and Jalil, N.A.A. , “Vertical Suspension Seat Transmissibility and SEAT Values for Seated Person Exposed to Whole-body Vibration in Agricultural Tractor Preliminary Study,” in Procedia Engineering, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2017.03.070.
- Daruis, D.D.I., Deros, B.M., Nor, M.J.M., and Hosseini, M. , “An Integrated Model of Static and Dynamic Measurement for Seat Discomfort,” Ind. Eng. Manag. Syst. 10:185-190, 2011.
- Kaderli, F. and Gomes, H.M. , “Vibration Analysis Based on Health and Comfort Levels on Ride Vehicles,” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration, 2015, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2015.075166.
- Lin, K.Y., Hwang, J.R., Chang, S.H., Fung, C.P., and Chang, J.M. , “System Dynamics and Ride Quality Assessment of Automobile,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1225, 2006, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1225.
- Kaderli, F. and Gomes, H.M. , “Vibration Analysis Based on Health and Comfort Levels on Ride Vehicles,” Int. J. Veh. Noise Vib. 11:238-254, 2015.
- Jayachandran, R. and Krishnapillai, S. , “Modeling and Optimization of Passive and Semi-Active Suspension Systems for Passenger Cars to Improve Ride Comfort and Isolate Engine Vibration,” JVC/Journal Vib. Control, 2013, doi:10.1177/1077546312445199.
- Mansfield, N.J. , “Localized Vibration at the Automotive Seat-Person Interface,” in the 2001 International Congress and Exhibition on Noise Control Engineering, 2001.
- Wu, X., Rakheja, S., and Boileau, P.É. , “Distribution of Human-Seat Interface Pressure on a Soft Automotive Seat under Vertical Vibration,” Int. J. Ind. Ergon., 1999, doi:10.1016/S0169-8141(98)00058-4.
- Kilincsoy, U., Wagner, A., Vink, P., and Bubb, H. , “Application of Ideal Pressure Distribution in Development Process of Automobile Seats,” Work, 2016, doi:10.3233/WOR-162350.
- Ajovalasit, M., Shabani, A., Tajadura, A., and Giacomin, J. , “Affective Reactions to Vibro-Tactile Events: A Case Study in Automotive Applications,” in 8th Int. Conf. Des. Emot. Out Control - Proc, 2012, 1-11.
- GS, P. & MJ, G. , “Use of Seating Control Exposures to Whole-Body Vibration,” in Human Factors Research Unit Institute of Sound and Vibration Research for the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), 2001.
- Bengal, W. , “Discomfort, Pressure Distribution and Safety in Operator’s Seat - A Critical Review,” Ergonomics 56:1-16, 2013.
- Park, S.J. and Kim, C.B. , “The Evaluation of Seating Comfort by the Objective Measures,” SAE Technical Paper 970595, 1997, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/970595.
- Papaioannou, G., Voutsinas, A., Koulocheris, D., and Antoniadis, I. , “Dynamic Performance Analysis of Vehicle Seats with Embedded Negative Stiffness Elements,” Veh. Syst. Dyn., 2019, doi:10.1080/00423114.2019.1617424.
- Kolich, M. , “Automobile Seat Comfort: Occupant Preferences vs. Anthropometric Accommodation,” Appl. Ergon., 2003, doi:10.1016/S0003-6870(02)00142-4.
- Stikeleather, L.F., Hall, G.O., and Radke, A.O. , “Study of Vehicle Vibration Spectra as Related to Seating Dynamics,” SAE Technical Paper 720001, 1972, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/720001.
- Siefert, A., Pankoke, S., and Wölfel, H.P. , “Virtual Optimisation of Car Passenger Seats: Simulation of Static and Dynamic Effects on Drivers’ Seating Comfort,” Int. J. Ind. Ergon. 38:410-424, 2008.
- Hostens, I. and Hostens, I. , “Analysis of Seating during Low Frequency Vibration Exposure,” Solutions, 2004.
- Van Niekerk, J.L., Pielemeier, W.J., and Greenberg, J.A. , “The Use of Seat Effective Amplitude Transmissibility (SEAT) Values to Predict Dynamic Seat Comfort,” J. Sound Vib., 2003, doi:10.1016/S0022-460X(02)00934-3.
- Lo, L., Fard, M., Subic, A., and Jazar, R. , “Characterization of the Automotive Seat/Human Structural Dynamics,” in International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering 2012, ISMA 2012, including USD 2012: International Conference on Uncertainty in Structure Dynamics, 2012.
- Wu, X., Rakheja, S., and Boileau, P.É. , “Study of Human-Seat Interactions for Dynamic Seating Comfort Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1303, 1999, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1303.
- Rützel, S., Hinz, B., and Wölfel, H.P. , “Modal Description-A Better Way of Characterizing Human Vibration Behavior,” J. Sound Vib., 2006, doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2006.06.019.
- Abbas, W. , “Optimization of Biodynamic Seated Human Models Using Genetic Algorithms,” Engineering, 2010, doi:10.4236/engineering.2010.29092.
- Boileau, P.E. and Rakheja, S. , “Whole-Body Vertical Biodynamic Response Characteristics of the Seated Vehicle Driver. Measurement and Model Development,” Int. J. Ind. Ergon., 1998, doi:10.1016/S0169-8141(97)00030-9.
- Nawayseh, N. , “A Mathematical Model of the Apparent Mass of the Human Body under Fore-and-Aft Whole-Body Vibration,” Int. J. Automot. Mech. Eng., 2016, doi:10.15282/ijame.13.3.2016.7.0297.
- van Victor Orlinskiy, S.V. . Investigating Car Passenger Well-Being Related to a Seat Imposing Continuous Posture Variation. J. Ergon. 5, (2015).
- Vergara, M. and Page, Á. , “Relationship between Comfort and Back Posture and Mobility in Sitting-Posture,” Appl. Ergon., 2002, doi:10.1016/S0003-6870(01)00056-4.
- Kamp, I., Kilincsoy, Ü., and Vink, P. , “Chosen Postures during Specific Sitting Activities,” Ergonomics 54:1029-1042, 2011.
- Beach, T.A.C., Parkinson, R.J., Stothart, J.P., and Callaghan, J.P. , “Effects of Prolonged Sitting on the Passive Flexion Stiffness of the in vivo Lumbar Spine,” Spine J., 2005, doi:10.1016/j.spinee.2004.07.036.
- Kyung, G. and Nussbaum, M.A. , “Specifying Comfortable Driving Postures for Ergonomic Design and Evaluation of the Driver Workspace Using Digital Human Models,” Ergonomics 52:939-953, 2009.
- Fiorillo, I. et al. , “Future Vehicles: The Effect of Seat Configuration on Posture and Quality of Conversation,” Ergonomics 62:1400-1414, 2019.
- Bhiwapurkar, M.K., Saran, V.H., Harsha, S.P., Goel, V.K., and Berg, M. , “Influence of Mono-Axis Random Vibration on Reading Activity,” Ind. Health, 2010, doi:10.2486/indhealth.MSWBVI-09.
- Sundström, J. and Khan, S. , “Influence of Stationary Lateral Vibrations on Train Passengers’ Difficulty to Read and Write,” Appl. Ergon., 2008, doi:10.1016/j.apergo.2007.11.009.
- Bhiwapurkar, M.K., Saran, V.H., and Harsha, S.P. , “Interference in Writing Performance under Whole-Body Vibration Exposure together with Subject Posture,” Int. J. Veh. Noise Vib., 2016, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2016.079055.
- Paddan, G.S. et al. , “The Influence of Seat Backrest Angle on Human Performance during Whole-Body Vibration,” Ergonomics, 2012, doi:10.1080/00140139.2011.634030.