This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration Control of Semi-Active Vehicle Suspension System Incorporating MR Damper Using Fuzzy Self-Tuning PID Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, a nonlinear semi-active vehicle suspension system using MR fluid dampers is investigated to enhance ride comfort and vehicle stability. Fuzzy logic and fuzzy self-tuning PID control techniques are applied as system controllers to compute desired front and rear damping forces in conjunction with a Signum function method damper controller to assess force track-ability of system controllers. The suggested fuzzy self-tuning PID operates fuzzy system as a PID gains tuner to mitigate the vehicle vibration levels and achieve excellent performance related to ride comfort and vehicle stability. The equations of motion of four-degrees-of-freedom semi-active half-vehicle suspension system incorporating MR dampers are derived and simulated using Matlab/Simulink software. Control performance criteria including bounce and pitch motions are evaluated in both time and frequency domains in order to quantify the effectiveness of proposed system controllers under bump and random road disturbances. Fuzzy self-tuning PID controller gives a better force tracking than fuzzy logic. The performance of both controlled semi-active suspension systems using MR dampers is compared with MR passive and conventional passive to show the efficiency of the proposed controlled suspension systems. The simulation results prove that the semi-active MR suspension system controlled using fuzzy self-tuning PID controller can offer significant improvements of ride comfort and vehicle stability among all investigated systems.
CitationGad, A., Oraby, W., and Metered, H., "Vibration Control of Semi-Active Vehicle Suspension System Incorporating MR Damper Using Fuzzy Self-Tuning PID Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1082, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Hrovat, D. , “Survey of Advanced Suspension Developments and Related Optimal Control Applications,” Automatica 33(10):1781-1817, 1997.
- Metered, H. , “Modelling and Control of Magnetorheological Dampers for Vehicle Suspension Systems,” Ph.D. thesis, School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK, 2010.
- Yi, K. and Song, S.B. , “A New Adaptive Sky-Hook Control of Vehicle Semi-Active Suspensions,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 213:293-303, 1999.
- Karnopp, D., Crosby, J.M., and Harwood, A.R. , “Vibration Control Using Semi-Active Force Generators,” J. Eng. Industry 96:619-626, 1974.
- Metered, H., Bonello, P., and Oyadiji, S.O. , “Nonparametric Identification Modeling of Magnetorheological Damper using Chebyshev Polynomials Fits,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):1125-1135, 2009, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1222.
- Shehata, A., Metered, H., and Oraby, W.A.H. , “Identification of Hysteretic Behavior of Magnetorheological Dampers Using NLARX Model,” Vibration Engineering and Technology of Machinery, Mechanisms and Machine Science 23:733-742, 2015.
- Lee, H.S. and Choi, S.B. , “Control and Response Characteristics of a Magnetorheological Fluid Damper for Passenger Vehicles,” Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct. 11:80-87, 2000.
- Karkoub, M.A. and Zribi, M. , “Active/Semi-Active Suspension Control Using Magnetorheological Actuators,” Int. J. Systems Science 37(1):35-44, 2006.
- Metered, H., Elsawaf, A., Vampola, T., and Sika, Z. , “Vibration Control of MR-Damped Vehicle Suspension System Using PID Controller Tuned by Particle Swarm Optimization,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8:426-435, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0622.
- Gad, J., Metered, H., Bassuiny, A., and Abdel Ghany, A.M. , “Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm Fractional-Order PID Controller for Semi-Active Magnetorheologically Damped Seat Suspension,” Journal of Vibration and Control 23(8):1248-1266, 2017.
- Shojaei, A., Metered, H., Shojaei, S., and Oyadiji, S.O. , “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Magneto-Rheological Damper based Semi-Active Suspension Systems,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 5(3-4):109-120, 2013.
- Du, H., Sze, K.Y., and Lam, J. , “Semi-Active H∞ Control of Vehicle Suspension with Magnetorheological Dampers,” J. Sound Vibration 283:981-996, 2005.
- Metered, H. , “Application of Nonparametric Magnetorheological Damper Model in Vehicle Semi-Active Suspension System,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5(1):715-726, 2012, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0977.
- Metered, H. and Šika, Z. , “Vibration Control of a Semi-Active Seat Suspension System using Magnetorheological Damper,” in 10th IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA 14), Senigallia, Italy, 2014.
- Metered, H., Bonello, P., and Oyadiji, S.O. , “Vibration Control of a Seat Suspension System using Magnetorheological Damper,” in Proceedings of the ASME, 2009 Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, San Diego, CA, Aug. 30-Sept. 2, 2009, ASME Paper No. DETC 2009-86081, doi:10.1115/DETC2009-86081.
- Gad, S., Metered, H., Bassuiny, A., and Abdel Ghany, A.M. , “Ride Comfort Enhancement of Heavy Vehicles Using Magnetorheological Seat Suspension,” Int. J. Heavy Vehicle Systems 22(2), 2015.
- Wahyudi, Solihin, M.I., and Legowo, A. , “Fuzzy-Tuned PID Anti-Swing Control of Automatic Gantry Crane,” Journal of Vibration and Control 16(1):127-145, 2010.
- Liu, H., Gao, H., and Li, P. , Handbook of Vehicle Suspension Control Systems (London/United Kingdom: The Institution of Engineering and Technology/Springer, 2014).
- Shehata, A., El-Zoghby, H.M., El-Hady Oraby, W.A., and El-Demerdash, S.M. , “Performance and Behavior of a Magneto-Rheological Damper in a Semi-Active Vehicle Suspension and Power Evaluation,” American Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Automation 5:72-89, 2018.
- Wang, D.H. and Liao, W.H. , “Semi active Controllers for Magnetorheological Fluid Dampers,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 16:983-993, 2005, doi:10.1177/1045389x05055281.
- Metered, H., Bonello, P., and Oyadiji, S.O. , “The Experimental Identification of Magnetorheological Dampers and Evaluation of Their Controllers,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 24:976-994, 2010.
- Shehata, A., Metered, H., and Oraby, W.A.H. , “Vibration Control of Active Vehicle Suspension System using Fuzzy Logic Controller,” Vibration Engineering and Technology of Machinery, Mechanisms and Machine Science 23:389-399, 2015.
- Jiang, M.Z., Sheng, D.Z., and Shu, G.W. , “Application of Self-Tuning Fuzzy PID Controller for a SRM Direct Drive Volume Control Hydraulic Press,” Control Eng. Practice 17:1398-1404, 2009.
- Xiaochun, G. and Dengqing, C. , “Fuzzy Proportional-Integral-Derivative Control of an Overhang Rotor with Double Discs Based on the Active Tilting Pad Journal Bearing,” Journal of Vibration and Control 19(10):1487-1498, 2013.
- Fischer, D. and Rolf, I. , “Mechatronic Semi-Active and Active Vehicle Suspensions,” Control Eng. Practice 12:1353-1367, 2004.
- Choi, S.-B. and Sung, K.-G. , “Vibration Control of Magneto-Rheological Damper System Subjected to Parameter Variations,” Int. J. Vehicle Design 46, 2008.