This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Novel Test System to Determine the Durability of RTV Gasket Material
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper describes a laboratory-based test system and procedure for determining the durability of RTV sealant with fretting movement. A test machine is described in which shear and tensile stress-generating displacements at room temperature and temperature of 100°C are produced to load an RTV seal. The test system utilizes an air pressurized hollow cylinder with a cap sealed by RTV sealant on a reciprocating test rig. An external air leakage monitoring system detects the health of the tested RTV seal. When air leakage occurs, the seal is determined to have failed. RTV sealant used in the test was fully cured at room temperature and then aged with engine oil. In the experiments, a total of 6 displacements were used to generate cycle/amplitude graphs for both shear and tensile modes. Failures were determined to be caused by the loss of adhesion in tensile mode, and by crack nucleation due to the special step design in shear mode. The results have validated the feasibility of the proposed test system and procedure, which can be used for durability assessment of various types of RTV and seal designs.
CitationWang, B., Zhang, W., Barber, G., Gernand, E. et al., "Development of a Novel Test System to Determine the Durability of RTV Gasket Material," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1069, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Li, Q., Huang, X., Liu, H., Shang, S. et al. , “Properties Enhancement of Room Temperature Vulcanized Silicone Rubber by Rosin Modified Aminopropyltriethoxysilane as a Cross-linking Agent,” ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 5(11):10002-10010, 2017.
- Goff, J. Arkles, B., and Sulaiman, S. , “Modification of Silicone Elastomers Using Silicone Comonomers Containing Hydrophilic Surface Active Endgroups,” in MRS Proceedings, 2014, 1626.
- Yang, D., Zhang, W., Jiang, B., and Guo, Y. , “Silicone Rubber Ablative Composites Improved with Zirconium Carbide or Zirconia,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 44:70-77, 2013.
- Wu, X. Li, X. Hao, L. Wen, X. Lan, L. Yuan, X., and Zhang, Q. , “Effect of Vulcanization Temperature and Humidity on the Properties of RTV Silicone Rubber,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2017, 207.
- Keshavaraj, R., Tock, R., and Vallabhan, C. , “Effects of Moisture on Structural Silicone Rubber Sealants Used in Window Glazing Applications,” Construction and Building Materials 8(4):227-232, 1994.
- Lee, K. Yusoff, N., Othman, N., and Mohamad Aini, N. , “Effect of Vulcanization Temperature on Curing Characteristic, Physical and Mechanical Properties of Natural Rubber/palygorskite Composites,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2017, 223.
- Da Silva, L. and Adams, R. , “Measurement of the Mechanical Properties of Structural Adhesives in Tension and Shear over a Wide Range of Temperatures,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 19(2):109-141, 2005.
- Banea, M. and Da Silva, L. , “Static and Fatigue Behavior of Room Temperature Vulcanising Silicone Adhesives for High Temperature Aerospace Applications. 3rd International Conference on Integrity,” Reliability and Failure 41(5):325-335, 2010.
- Banea, M., Da Silva, L., and Campilho, R. , “Testing of RTV Silicone Adhesives for High Temperature Applications. The Annals of “Dunarea De Jos” University of Galati Fascicle XII,” Welding Equipment and Technology 21:31-37, 2010.
- Necasova, B., Liska, P., and Slanhof, J. , “Adhesion and Cohesion Testing of Joint Sealants after Artificial Weathering - New Test Method,” Procedia Engineering 190:140-147, 2017.
- Lacasse, M., Giffïn, G., and Margeson, J. , “Laboratory Cyclic Fatigue Test of Silicone Sealant Mini-specimens,” Science and Technology of Building Seals, Sealants, Glazing, and Waterproofing 7, 1999.
- White, C., Embree, N., Buch, C., and Williams, R. , “Design, Development, and Testing of a Hybrid in Situ Testing Device for Building Joint Sealant,” Review of Scientific Instruments 76(4), 2005.