This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vector Load Simplified Duty Cycle for Lower Control Arm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Multi-axial loaded parts like lower control arms are routinely tested in the laboratory for durability verification. But the full anticipated complex road load data is not normally applied because it would be too expensive and complex to test all parts this way. Instead, a simplified loading condition is used. Ideally, this will be as simple as a single sine wave loading applied to one loading point and in one direction. The specification of which hard point to use, which loading direction, and which frequency and load magnitude, requires very good engineering judgement and a high degree of experience. Even then, it is unlikely that the optimum solution will be obtained and the risk of creating a non-representative test is high. Recently, a new FEA technique has been developed which simultaneously derives both an optimum loading profile (surrogate load) and loading direction (vector direction) from full Proving Ground [PG] real loading conditions. This paper will present the technique that was developed in collaboration with CAEfatigue Ltd. and shows results for a realistic LCA example. The model used is only statically responsive but the approach outlined is valid for both static and dynamically responsive models.
CitationTrifan, A., Bishop, N., Kerr, S., Avadutala, V. et al., "Vector Load Simplified Duty Cycle for Lower Control Arm," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1058, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1058.
- Costa , E. , Meehan , T. , Bishop , N. , and Murthy , P. Frequency Domain Loads Enveloping SAE Technical Paper 2018-36-0008 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0008
- Thesing , T. and Bishop , N. Modern Methods for Random Fatigue of Automotive Parts SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0372 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0372
- Ferreira , W.G. , Meehan , T.S. , Bishop , N. , and Cardoso , V.M. Comparative Study of Automotive System Fatigue Models Processed in the Time and Frequency Domain SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0377 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0377
- Bishop , N. , Kerr , S. , Murthy , P. , and Sweitzer , K. Time vs. Frequency Domain Analysis for Large Automotive Systems SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0535 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0535
- Bishop , N. , Kerr , S. , and Murthy , P. Advances Relating to Fatigue Calculations for Combined Random and Deterministic Loads SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0725 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0725
- Bishop , N. , Murthy , P. , and Sweitzer , K. Advances Relating to Fatigue Calculations for Combined Random and Deterministic Loads 13th International ASTM/ESIS Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics (39th National Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics) Jacksonville, FL 2013
- CAEfatigue 2016
- Bishop , N. and Sherratt , F. Fatigue Life Prediction from Power Spectral Density Data. Part 1, Traditional Approaches and Part 2, Recent Developments Env. Eng. 2 1989
- Bishop , N.W.M. and Sherratt , F. 2000
- SAE Fatigue Design Handbook Third Edition Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1997
- Dowling , N.E. Mean Stress Effects in Stress-Life and Strain-Life Fatigue Fatigue 2004: Second SAE Brazil International Conference on Fatigue São Paulo, Brazil 2004
- Sweitzer , K.A. , Bishop , N.W.M. , and Genberg , V.L. Efficient Computation of Spectral Moments for Determination of Random Response Statistics International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering - ISMA Leuven, BE 2004
- Costa , E. , Bishop , N. , and Cardoso , V. Frequency FE-Based Weld Fatigue Life Prediction of Dynamic Systems SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0355 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0355
- Datta , S. , Bishop , N. , Sweitzer , K. , and Atkins , A. Simultaneous Durability Assessment and Relative Random Analysis Under Base Shake Loading Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0339 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0339
- Gannamani , R. , Gupta , A. , Bishop , N. , and Caserio , A. Sine on Random Vibration Fatigue NAFEMS World Congress Stockholm, Sweden June 2017