This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dual-Mass Flywheel with Torque Limiter: An Effective Solution for Overtorque Suppression in Automotive Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
During some critical maneuvers, transmission systems using Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) may experience overtorques, which could lead to structural damages of the transmission components. In a dual mass flywheel, total inertia is divided into two parts: a primary mass connected to the engine and a secondary mass to the transmission. The torque delivered by the engine is transferred from one mass to the other through a drive plate and a set of arc springs, the latter absorbing the torsional oscillations coming from internal combustion engine and the shocks caused by fast clutch engagements. This paper investigates overtorque issues and proposes a solution based on a torque limiter, consisting of a friction clutch inserted between the two masses, that limits the maximum torque transmitted through it. The basic idea is to replace the classic flat drive plate with a tapered drive plate that functions as a Belleville spring. The experimental analysis carried out on dedicated benches has tested the elastic characteristic of the tapered drive plate, the durability of friction pads and the variation of the slipping torque over time. This article analyzes the torque limiter benefits through a detailed torsional dynamic model implemented in Simcenter Amesim. Overtorque phenomena are excited during cranking-in-gear vehicle launch tests on different slopes. Furthermore, a simplified multi-degree of freedom transmission model developed in Matlab/Simulink is shown; it allows calculating frequency response functions, natural frequencies, mode shapes and overtorque limitation. The comparison between the two models revealed that even the simplified model is capable of predicting the main dynamic aspects involved in the overtorque phenomenon and the positive effect of the torque limiter.
CitationGalvagno, E., Vigliani, A., and Calenda, G., "Dual-Mass Flywheel with Torque Limiter: An Effective Solution for Overtorque Suppression in Automotive Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1016, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1016.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Galvagno , E. , Tota , A. , Velardocchia , M. , and Vigliani , A. Enhancing Transmission NVH Performance through Powertrain Control Integration with Active Braking System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1778 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1778
- Amisano , F. , Galvagno , E. , Velardocchia , M. , and Vigliani , A. Automated Manual Transmission with a Torque Gap Filler Part 1: Kinematic Analysis and Dynamic Analysis Proc. of Inst. Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 228 11 1247 1261 2014
- Galvagno , E. , Velardocchia , M. , and Vigliani , A. Torsional Oscillations in Automotive Transmissions: Experimental Analysis and Modelling Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Shock and Vibration 5 1 14 2016 10.1155/2016/5721960
- Wei , L. and Shi , W.K. Summary of Studies on Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) Noise and Vibration Control 28 1 5 2008
- He , L. , Xia , C. , Chen , S. , Guo , J. , and Liu , Y. Parametric Investigation of Dual-Mass Flywheel Based on Driveline Start-Up Torsional Vibration Control Shock Vib. 1 12 2019 10.1155/2019/3171698
- Galvagno , E. , Velardocchia , M. , Vigliani , A. , and Tota , A. Experimental Analysis and Model Validation of a Dual Mass Flywheel for Passenger Cars SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1121 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1121
- Schnurr , M. Development of the Super-Long-Travel Dual Mass Flywheel LUK, 4th International Symposium Baden-Baden 1990
- Vitaliani , E. , Di Rocco , D. , and Sopouch , M. Modelling and Simulation of General Path Centrifugal Pendulum Vibration Absorbers SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2387 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2387
- Ragupathy , R. , Pothiraj , K. , Chendil , C. , Kumar Prasad , T. et al. Powertrain Torsional Impact Load Causes, Effects and Mitigation Measures in a Parallel Mild Hybrid Powertrain SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1062 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1062
- Deutsches Institut für Normung 2006
- Reik , W. , Seebacher , R. , and Kooy , A. Dual Mass Flywheel 6th International Symposium BadenBaden: LuK Buhl 1998 69 94