This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Impact of SUV Chassis Stiffness on Vehicle Dynamics through CAE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Today’s automotive industry is a highly competitive market where continuous innovation in design and production of vehicles is required to gain market share and survive in the market. This led to reduction in the life cycle of the design process and design tools. Identifying, understanding and refining these details is significant to develop sustainable cars. Body and chassis stiffness are important specifications of a passenger car which affects handling, steering and ride characteristics of the vehicle. It has been proved that torsional, lateral and local chassis stiffness can play a role in giving the customer a premium feeling by affecting key metrics in the vehicle dynamics behaviour of a passenger car. In this paper, the effect of chassis stiffness on vehicle dynamics performance is studied using computer aided engineering (CAE). Different attributes of vehicle dynamics like vehicle handling, On-Center feel and vehicle ride are considered as performance characteristics. The chassis stiffness is varied by changing the material characteristics and the above mentioned performances attributes were evaluated. It has been found that the chassis stiffness has different influence on On-center feel as compared to vehicle handling and ride. The present study is helpful in deciding the chassis stiffness during the digital phase of the design.
CitationLenka, V., Anthonysamy, B., N, B., and Londhe, A., "Study on Impact of SUV Chassis Stiffness on Vehicle Dynamics through CAE," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1004, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1004.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Milliken , W.F. and Milliken , D.L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers 1995
- Krishnan , M.H. , Sreeraj , N. , Bhaskar , C. , Nagaraju , G. et al. Establishing Correlation between Torsional and Lateral Stiffness Parameters of BIW and Vehicle Handling Performance SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 1 22 31 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0089
- Chaturvedi , B. , Rana , D. , and Ravindran , M. Correlation of Vehicle Dynamics & NVH Performance with Body Static & Dynamic Stiffness through CAE and Experimental Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1137 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1137
- Sampo , E. 2011
- Coox , L. et al. 2012
- Deakin , A. , Crolla , D. , Ramirez , J. , and Hanley , R. The Effect of Chassis Stiffness on Race Car Handling Balance SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3554 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3554
- Helsen , J. et al. Global Static and Dynamic Car Body Stiffness Based on a Single Experimental Modal Analysis Test, Modal Testing: Methods and Case Studies Proceedings of ISMA 2010 Including USD 2010 2010
- Sampo , E. , Sorniotti , A. , and Crocombe , A. Chassis Torsional Stiffness: Analysis of the Influence on Vehicle Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0094 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0094
- Genta , G. and Morello , L. The Automotive Chassis, Vol. 2: System Design New York Springer 2009 978-1-4020-8673-1
- Thompson , L. , Raju , S. , and Law , E. Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness SAE Technical Paper 983053 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/983053
- Riley , W. and George , A. Design, Analysis and Testing of a Formula SAE Car Chassis SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3300 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3300
- Thompson , L. , Soni , P. , Raju , S. , and Law , E. The Effects of Chassis Flexibility on Roll Stiffness of a Winston Cup Race Car SAE Technical Paper 983051 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/983051
- Pahwa , G. , Anthonysamy , B. , and Shah , K. Lateral Stability and Improvement for a Prototype Pickup Truck Vehicle Using Multi-Body Dynamics Simulation Tools SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1628 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1628