This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heavy Vehicles Kinematics of Automatic Emergency Braking Test Track Scenarios
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the test track scenario design and analysis used to estimate the performances of heavy vehicles equipped with forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking systems in rear-end crash scenarios. The first part of this design and analysis study was to develop parameters for brake inputs in test track scenarios simulating a driver that has insufficiently applied the brakes to avoid a rear-end collision. In the second part of this study, the deceleration limits imposed by heavy vehicles mechanics and brake systems are used to estimate automatic emergency braking performance benefits with respect to minimum stopping distance requirements set by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The results of this study were used to complete the test track procedures and show that all heavy vehicles meeting regulatory stopping distance requirements have the braking capacity to demonstrate rear-end crash avoidance improvements in the developed tests.
CitationSalaani, M., Elsasser, D., and Boday, C., "Heavy Vehicles Kinematics of Automatic Emergency Braking Test Track Scenarios," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0995, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0995.
- Boday, C., Howe, G., Albrecht, H., Elsasser, D., and Barickman, F. , “Class 8 Truck-Tractor and Motorcoach Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking Test Track Research Phase I,” U.S. DOT, Washington, D.C., 2015, Docket No. NHTSA-2015-0024-0004, retrieved from https://www.regulations.gov/document? D=NHTSA-2015-0024-0004.
- Elsasser, D., Boday, C., and Salaani, M.K. , “Heavy Vehicles Advanced Emergency Braking Testing and Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper, manuscript submitted for publication.
- Elsasser, D., Salaani, K.M., and Boday, C. , “Test Track Procedures for Heavy Vehicle Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking Systems,” U.S. Department of Transporation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C., manuscript submitted for publication.
- European Commission , “European Commission Regulations,” retrieved from Commision Regulation (EC) No. 6612009, No. 3472012, No. 5622016, http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32015R0562, 2009-2016.
- Every, J.L., Salaani, M.K., Barickman, F.S., Elsasser, D.H. et al. , “Braking Behavior of Truck Drivers in Crash Imminent Scenarios,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh 7(2):487-499, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2380.
- Forkenbrock, G.J. and Snyder, A.S. , “NHTSA's 2014 Automatic Emergency Braking Test Track Evaluations,” June 2015, NHTSA Report No. DOT HS 812 166.
- FR No. 241, N. U., “New Car Assessment Program Notice,” United States Government Federal Register 80, 241, pages 78522, Washington, D.C., December 16, 2015.
- Grove, K., Atwwod, J., Fitch, G., and Blanco, M. , “Field Study of Heavy-Vehicle Crash Avoidance Systems,” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C., 2016, U.S. DOT Report No. HS 812 280.
- ISO 15623 , “International Transport Systems Forward Vehicle Collision Warning Systems Performance Requirements and Test Procedures, Second Edition,” July 15, 2013, The International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
- ISO 22839 , “Intelligent Transpost Systems Forward Vehicle Collision Mitigation Systems Operation, Performance, and Verification Requirements - First Edition,” June 1, 2013, The International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
- U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration , May 2018, “Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts 2016.”
- NHTSA , “Forward-Looking Advanced Braking Technologies Research Report,” U.S. DOT, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C., 2012, Docket No. NHTSA-2012-0057-0037, retrieved from https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=NHTSA-2012-0057-0037.
- NHTSA , “Crah Imminent Brake System Performance Evaluation for the New Car Assesnment Program,” 2015 October, retrieved from https://www.regulations.gov/index.jsp#!documentDetail;D=NHTSA-2015-0006-0025.
- NHTSA , “Laboratory Test Procedure for FMVSS No. 136,” U.S. DOT, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C., December 2015, TP-136-00.
- NHTSA , “Forward-Looking Advanced Braking Technologies Report,” U.S. DOT, , June 2012.
- SAE J3029 , “Surface Recommanded Practice, Forward Collision Warning and Mitigation Vehicle Test Procedures,” SAE International, October 2015.
- Salaani, K.M., Boday, C., and Elsasser, D. , Class 8 Truck-Tractor Motorcoach Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking System Test Track Research Phase II,” DOT, Washington D.C., 2018.
- Salaani, M., Mikesell, D., Boday, C., and Elsasser, D. , “Heavy Vehicle Hardware-in-the-Loop Automatic Emergency Braking Simulation with Experimental Validation,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh 9(2):57-62, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8010.
- Woodrooffe, J., Blower, D., Bao, S., Bogard, S., Flannagan, C., Green, P.E., and LeBlanc, D. , “Performance Characterization and Safety Effectiveness Estimates of Forward Collision Avoidance and Mitigation Systems for Medium/Heavy Commerical Vehicles,” The University of Michigan Transportation Research Instituite, 2012, U.S. DOT Docket No. NHTSA-2013-0067-0001.
- www.bksv.com/en/products, n.d., retrieved from https://www.bksv.com/en/products.