This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heavy Vehicles Kinematics of Automatic Emergency Braking Test Track Scenarios
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the test track scenario design and analysis used to estimate the performances of heavy vehicles equipped with forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking systems in rear-end crash scenarios. The first part of this design and analysis study was to develop parameters for brake inputs in test track scenarios simulating a driver that has insufficiently applied the brakes to avoid a rear-end collision. In the second part of this study, the deceleration limits imposed by heavy vehicles mechanics and brake systems are used to estimate automatic emergency braking performance benefits with respect to minimum stopping distance requirements set by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The results of this study were used to complete the test track procedures and show that all heavy vehicles meeting regulatory stopping distance requirements have the braking capacity to demonstrate rear-end crash avoidance improvements in the developed tests.
CitationSalaani, M., Elsasser, D., and Boday, C., "Heavy Vehicles Kinematics of Automatic Emergency Braking Test Track Scenarios," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0995, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0995.
- Boday , C. , Howe , G. , Albrecht , H. , Elsasser , D. , and Barickman , F. 2015 https://www.regulations.gov/document? D=NHTSA-2015-0024-0004
- Elsasser , D. , Boday , C. , and Salaani , M.K.
- Elsasser , D. , Salaani , K.M. , and Boday , C.
- European Commission http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32015R0562 2009-2016
- Every , J.L. , Salaani , M.K. , Barickman , F.S. , Elsasser , D.H. et al. Braking Behavior of Truck Drivers in Crash Imminent Scenarios SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh 7 2 487 499 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2380
- Forkenbrock , G.J. and Snyder , A.S. June 2015
- December 16, 2015
- Grove , K. , Atwwod , J. , Fitch , G. , and Blanco , M. 2016
- ISO 15623 2013
- ISO 22839 2013
- U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration May 2018
- NHTSA 2012 https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=NHTSA-2012-0057-0037
- NHTSA 2015 October https://www.regulations.gov/index.jsp#!documentDetail;D=NHTSA-2015-0006-0025
- NHTSA December 2015
- NHTSA June 2012
- SAE J3029 October 2015
- Salaani , K.M. , Boday , C. , and Elsasser , D. 2018
- Salaani , M. , Mikesell , D. , Boday , C. , and Elsasser , D. Heavy Vehicle Hardware-in-the-Loop Automatic Emergency Braking Simulation with Experimental Validation SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh 9 2 57 62 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8010
- Woodrooffe , J. , Blower , D. , Bao , S. , Bogard , S. , Flannagan , C. , Green , P.E. , and LeBlanc , D. 2012
- www.bksv.com/en/products https://www.bksv.com/en/products