This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling and Performances of Hydraulic Magnetorheological Fluid Damper with Modified Bi-Viscosity Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A hydraulic chamber is embedded in serial with the accumulator of a normal mono-tube magnetorheological fluid damper (MRFD). The damper stiffness can be adjusted by changing the accumulator volume with the hydraulic chamber. The hydraulic chamber is connected to an electric pump and controlled by the braking-by-wire (BBW) system. A modified bi-viscosity magnetorheological fluid (MRF) model that explicitly includes the parameter of control current is proposed. A dynamic model of this hydraulic MRFD is subsequently set up based on the MRF model. Experiments are conducted to validate the model and simulations are carried out to study the influences of accumulator volume on the external performances. Results show that the hydraulic chamber is able to provide rapid variations of the external force through accumulator volume changes.
CitationXiong, C., Yu, L., Li, Z., Lu, Z. et al., "Modelling and Performances of Hydraulic Magnetorheological Fluid Damper with Modified Bi-Viscosity Model," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0988, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0988.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Milecki, A. and Hauke, M. , “Application of Magnetorheological Fluid in Industrial Shock Absorbers,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 28:528-541, 2012.
- Prabakar, R.S., Sujatha, C., and Narayanan, S. , “Optimal Semi-Active Preview Control Response of a Half Car Vehicle Model with Magnetorheological Damper,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 326:400-420, 2009.
- Spencer, B.F. Jr., Dyke, S.J., Sain, M.K. et al. , “Phenomenological model for magnetorheological dampers,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 123(3):230-238, 1997.
- Lee, D.-Y. and Were1e, N.M. , “Analysis of Electro- and Magneto-Rhelogical Flow Mode Dampers Using Herschel-Bulkley Model,” Smart Structures and Materials 3989:244-255, 2000.
- Wang, X. and Gordaninejad, F. , “Study of Field-Controllable, Electro- and Magneto-Rheological Fluid Dampers in Flow Mode Using Herschel-Bulkley Theory,” Smart Structures and Materials 3989:232-243, 2000.
- Yu, J., Dong, X., and Zhang, Z. , “A Novel Model of Magnetorheological Damper with Hysteresis Division,” Smart Material and Structure 26(105042):1-15, 2017.
- Kazakov, Y.B., Morozov, N.A., and Nesterov, S.A. , “Development of Models of the Magnetorheological Fluid Damper,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 431:269-272, 2017.
- Jang, K.I., Min, B.K., and Seok, J. , “A Behavior Model of a Magnetorheological Fluid in Direct Shear Mode,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 323:1324-1329, 2011.
- Ismail, M., Ikhouane, F., and Rodellar, J. , “The Hysteresis Bouc-wen Model, a Survey,” Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering 16:161-188, 2009.
- Yao, G.Z., Yap, F.F., Chen, G. et al. , “MR Damper and its Application for Semi-Additive Control of Vehicle Suspension System,” Mechatronics 12:963-973, 2002.
- Wang, L. and Zhong-Rong, L. , Identification of Bouc-wen Hysteretic Parameters Based on Enhanced Response Sensitivity Approach. in 12th International Conference on Damage Assessment o Structures, 2017, 012021-1-012021-8.
- Orecny, M., Segla, S., Hunady, R. et al. , “Application of a Magneto-Rheological Damper and a Dynamic Absorber for a Suspension of a Working Machine Seat,” Modelling of Mechanical and Mechatronic Systems. 96:338-344, 2014.
- Wang, D.H. and Liao, W.H. , “Magnetorheological Fluid Dampers: A Review of Parametric Modelling,” Smart Materials and Structures 20:023001(1)-023001(34), 2011.
- BalaMurugan, L. and Jancirani, J. , “Algebraic Modeling of a Field-Controllable Magnetorheological Fluid Damper,” International Journal of Science and Engineering Applications. 1(2):135-137, 2012.
- Bai, X.-X., Chen, P., and Qian, L.-j. , “Principle and Validation of Modified Hysteretic Models for Magnetorheological Dampers,” Smart Materials and Structures 2015(24):085014.
- Yang, M.-G., Li, C.-Y., and Zheng-Qing, C. , “A New Simple Non-Linear Hysteretic Model for MR Damper and Verification of Seismic Response Reduction Experiment,” Modelling of Mechanical and Mechatronic Systems 2014(96):338-344.
- Guan, X.C., Guo, P.F., and Ou, J.P. , “Modeling and Analyzing of Hysteresis Bahavior of Magnetorhelolgical Dampers,” Procedia Engieering 14:2756-2764, 2011.
- Bajkowski, J., Nachman, J., Shillor, M. et al. , “A Model for a Magnetorheological Damper,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling 48:56-68, 2008.
- Zalewski, R., Nachman, J., Shillor, M. et al. , “Dynamic Model for a Magnetorheological Damper,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 38:2366-2376, 2014.
- Graczykowski, C. and Pawlowski, P. , “Exact Physical Model of Magnetorheological Damper,” Applied Mathematical Modelling. 47:400-424, 2017.
- Balamurugan, L. and Jancirani, J. , “Application of a New Prametric Algebraic Model for Magnetorheological Damper in Vehicle Semi-Active Suspension,” International Journal of Automobile Engineering. 3(1):1-14, 2013.
- Majdoub, K.E.I., Ghani, D., Giri, F. et al. , “Adaptive Semi-Active Suspension of Quarter-Vehicle with Magnetorheological Damper,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Mearsurement, and Control 137, 2015, doi:021010-1-021010-12.
- Huang, Z.S., Wu, C., and Hsu, D.S. , “Semi-Active Fuzzy Control of MR Damper on Structures by Genetic Algorithm,” Journal of Mechanics 25(1):N1-N6, 2009.
- Choi, H.D., Lee, C.J., and Lim, M.T. , “Fuzzy Preview Control for Half-Vehicle Electro-Hydraulic Suspension System, International Journal of Control,” Automation and Systems 16(5):2489-2500, 2018.
- Wereley, N.M., Pang, L., and Kamath, G.M. , “Idealized Hysteresis Modeling of Electrorheological and Magnetorheological Dampers,” Journal of Intelligent Material and System Structures 9:642-649, 1998.
- Yazid, I.I.M., Mazlan, S.A., Kikuchi, T. et al. , “Design of Magnetorheological Damper with a Combination of Shear and Squeeze Modes,” Materials and Design 54:87-95, 2014.
- Maddah, A.A., Hojjat, Y., Karafi, M.R. et al. , “Reduction of Magneto Rheological Dampers Stiffness by Incorporating of an Eddy Current Damper,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 396:51-68, 2017.
- Liu, X.H. , Magnetorheological Fluid Transmission Technology (2015), 62-64 (in Chinese).