This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Frontal Crash Worthiness Performance of Bi-Tubular Corrugated Conical: Structures under Axial Loads at Low Velocity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Vehicle collisions are a major concern in the modern automotive industry. To ensure the passenger safety, major focus has been given on energy absorption pattern on the crumple zone during collision, which lead to the implementation of new design of the crash box for low speed collision. The main aim of this research is optimization of the conical shaped structure based on its mean diameter, graded thickness and semi apical angle. Further, to decrease initial peak load of the conical crash box, corrugations are integrated on structure and optimized based on different parameters, such as number of corrugations, pattern of corrugation relative to both tubes and amplitude of corrugation. The concept of bi-tubular structure is proposed to improve both specific energy absorption and initial peak load during crash event. A finite element model is created to perform parametric study on corrugated conical tube based on axial load conditions at low velocity. Optimization to maximize total absorbed energy and minimize peak impact load on the crash box within constraints is conducted. The result showed that design of proposed crash box effectively performs as energy absorbing structure and can be used in the future vehicle body.
CitationPorwal, A., Tripathi, A., and Krishnasamy, P., "Frontal Crash Worthiness Performance of Bi-Tubular Corrugated Conical: Structures under Axial Loads at Low Velocity," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0983, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0983.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
- Schwanitz , P. , Werner , S. , Zerbe , J. , and Göhlich , D. Robust Optimization of Vehicle Crashboxes SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0397 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0397
- Lee , S.-J. , Lee , H.A. , Yi , S.-I. , Kim , D.S. , Yang , H.W. , Park , G.-J. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407012451545
- Yu , Zhu , Li , L. , Yang , J.
- Segadel , A. , Bolaño , A. , López-Campos , J.A. , Casarejos , E. , Fernandez , J.R. , and Vilán , J.A. Study of a Crash Box Design Optimised for a Uniform Load Profile Proceedings IRF2018: 6th International Conference Integrity-Reliability-Failure
- Azimi , M.B. and Asgari , M. A New Bi-Tubular Conical-Circular Structure for Improving Crushing Behaviour under Axial and Oblique Impacts Int. J. Mech. Sci. 105 253 265 2016 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2015.11.012
- Baroutaji , A. , Sajjia , M. , and Olabi , A.G. On the Crashworthiness Performance of Thin-Walled Energy Absorbers: Recent Advances and Future Developments Thin-Walled Struct. 118 137 163 2017
- Yang , M. The Design of Car’s Crash Box Base on the Section Force Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress 10.1007/978-3-642-33805-2_6
- Guler , M.A. , Cerit , M.E. , Bayram , B. , Gerceker , B. , and Karakaya , E. The Effect of Geometrical Parameters on the Energy Absorption Characteristics of Thin-Walled Structures under Axial Impact Loading Int. J. Crashworthiness 15 4 377 390 2010
- Yusof , N.S.B. , Sapuan , S.M. , Sultan , M.T.H. , Jawaid , M. Maleque , M.A.
- Kilicaslan , C. Numerical Crushing Analysis of Aluminium Foam-Filled Corrugated Single- and Double-Circular Tubes Subjected to Axial Impact Loading Thin-Walled Struct. 96 82 94 2015 10.1016/j.tws.2015.08.009
- Singace , A.A. and El-Sobky , H. Behaviour of Axially Crushed Corrugated Tubes Int. J. Mech. Sci. 39 3 249 268 1997
- Eyvazian , A. , Habibi , M.K. , Hamouda , A.M. , and Hedayati , R. Axial Crushing behaviour and energy absorption efficiency of corrugated tubes Mater. Des. 54 1028 1038 2014
- Wu , S. , Li , G. , Sun , G. , Wu , X. , and Li , Q. Crashworthiness Analysis and Optimization of Sinusoidal Corrugation Tube Thin-Walled Struct 105 121 134 2016
- Liu , Z. , Hao , W. , Xie , J. , Lu , J. et al. Axial-Impact Buckling Modes and Energy Absorption Properties of Thin-Walled Corrugated Tubes with Sinusoidal Patterns Thin-Walled Struct. 94 410 423 2015
- Deng , Xiaolin and Liu , Wangyu Crushing Analysis and Multi-Objective Crashworthiness Optimization of Multi-Cell Conical Tube Subjected to Oblique Loading Advances in Mechanical Engineering 2019 11 1 20 10.1177/1687814018824467
- Hu , D. , Wang , Y. , Song , B. , and Wang , Y. Energy Absorption Characteristics of a Foam-Filled Tri-Tube under Axial Quasi-Static Loading: Experiment and Numerical Simulation International Journal of Crashworthiness 2017 10.1080/13588265.2017.1331494
- http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA7075T6 http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6061T6