This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Optimization Study of Occupant Restraint System for Different BMI Senior Women Protection in Frontal Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Accident statistics have shown that older and obese occupants are less adaptable to existing vehicle occupant restraint systems than ordinary middle-aged male occupants, and tend to have higher injury risk in vehicle crashes. However, the current research on injury mechanism of aging and obese occupants in vehicle frontal impacts is scarce. This paper focuses on the optimization design method of occupant restraint system parameters for specific body type characteristics. Three parameters, namely the force limit value of the force limiter in the seat belt, pretensioner preload of the seat belt and the proportionality coefficient of mass flow rate of the inflator were used for optimization. The objective was to minimize the injury risk probability subjected to constraints of occupant injury indicator values for various body regions as specified in US-NCAP frontal impact tests requirements. The approximate model was established and the optimal combination of parameters was selected by NSGA-II genetic algorithm. The optimization results were verified via the finite element simulation model, showing that when the key parameters of the occupant restraint system were optimized, the joint injury risk probabilities of the senior women with a BMI of 24.5, 33.4 and 36.3 were reduced by 7.73%, 7.45%, and 9.48 %, respectively.
CitationLin, G., Zhan, Z., Chou, C., Xu, H. et al., "An Optimization Study of Occupant Restraint System for Different BMI Senior Women Protection in Frontal Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0981, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0981.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- Hui, G., Guangyao, L., and Tiezhu, L. , “Optimization of Occupant Restraint System Based on Genetic Algorithm and Reliability Analysis,” Automotive Engineering 30(12):1052-1055, doi:10.3321/j.issn:1000-680X.2008.12.006.
- Bai, Z., Jiang, B., Zhu, F., and Cao, L. , “Optimizing the Passenger Air Bag of an Adaptive Restraint System for Multiple Size Occupants,” Traffic Injury Prevention 15(6):556-563, 2014, doi:10.1080/15389588.2013.842232.
- Li, L., Dawei, D., Sunlian, L., Long, X., and Youbao, L. , “Optimization of Restraint System Based on Occupant Protection of Different Body,” Automotive Engineering 11:1312-1318, 2016, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1000-680X.2016.11.006.
- Hu, J., Zhang, K., Reed, M.P., Wang, J.-T. et al. , “Frontal Crash Simulations Using Parametric Human Models Representing a Diverse Population,” Traffic Injury Prevention 20(sup 1):S97-S105, 2019, doi:10.1080/15389588.2019.1581926.
- Xuerong, Z. and Qingzu, S. ,” Parameters Optimization and Robustness Analysis of Vehicle Occupant Restraint System,” Automotive Engineering 12:1053-1056, 2010 (in Chinese).
- Weigang, Z. and Hui, L. , “Occupant Restraint System Simulation Design Optimization Based on Kriging Model and Optimization Method,” Journal of Hunan University (Natural Science Edition) (6), 28-3, (in Chinese).
- Xuerong, Z., Xuejun, L., and Qingzu, S. , “Design of Frontal Collision Occupant Protection and Restraint System of Different Body,” Automotive Engineering 8(2007), doi:10.3321/j.issn:1000-680x.2007.08.008.
- Jang, R., Lee, M., and Lee, H. , “Study of Neck Injury Evaluation and Improvement Method for US NCAP 5% Dummy,” in 23rd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, No. 13-0364, 2013.
- Holding, P.N., Chinn, B.P., and Happian-Smith, J. , “An Evaluation of the Benefits of Active Restraint Systems in Frontal Impacts through Computer Modelling and Dynamic Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0094, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-06-0094.
- Wang, Y., Bai, Z., Cao, L., Reed, M.P. et al. , “A Simulation Study on the Efficacy of Advanced Belt Restraints to Mitigate the Effects of Obesity for Rear-Seat Occupant Protection in Frontal Crashes,” Traffic Injury Prevention 16(sup1):S75-S83, 2015, doi:10.1080/15389588.2015.1010722.
- Hu, J., Zhang, K., Fanta, A., Jones, M.L.H., Reed, M.P., Neal, M., Wang, J.-T., Lin, C.-H., and Cao, L. “Stature and Body Shape Effects on Driver Injury Risks in Frontal Crashes: A Parametric Human Modeling Study,” in IRCOBI Conference, 2017, IRC-17-85.
- Zhu, S., Layde, P.M., Guse, C.E., Laud, P.W. et al. , “Obesity and Risk for Death Due to Motor Vehicle Crashes,” American Journal of Public Health 96(4):734-739, 2006, doi:10.2105/ajph.2004.058156.
- Ridella, S.A., Rupp, J.D., and Poland, K. . “Age-Related Differences in AIS 3+ Crash Injury Risk, Types, Causation and Mechanisms,” in Ircobi Conference, Vol. 2012, 2012.
- Hill, J.D. and Boyle, L.N. , “Assessing the Relative Risk of Severe Injury in Automotive Crashes for Older Female Occupants,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 38(1):148-154, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.aap.2005.08.006.
- Zhang, K. , “Toward Adaptive Restraint System: A Simulation and Injury Analysis Study with Consideration of Population Variation,” Hunan University, China, Doctoral dissertation, 2017.
- Dong, W., Zhan, Z., Yin, Y., Li, J. et al. , “Development of Subject-Specific Elderly Female Finite Element Models for Vehicle Safety,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1224, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1224.
- Kalra, A.K. , “Development of an Elderly Female Torso Finite Element Model for Restraint System Research and Development Applications,” 2016.
- Fryar, C.D., Gu, Q., Ogden, C.L., and Flegal, K.M. , “Anthropometric Reference Data for Children and Adults: United States, 2011-2014,” Vital Health Stat 1-46, 2016.
- Reed, M.P., Ebert, S.M., and Hallman, J.J. , “Effects of Driver Characteristics on Seat Belt Fit,” Stapp Car Crash Journal 57(57):43-57, 2013.
- Shi, X., Cao, L., Reed, M.P., Rupp, J.D. et al. , “A Statistical Human Rib Cage Geometry Model Accounting for Variations by Age, Sex, Stature and Body Mass Index,” Journal of Biomechanics 47(10):2277-2285, 2014.
- Xu, H., Zhan, Z., Yin, Y., Dong, W., Wang, Q., Chen, R., and Jin, X. “ An Analytical Study of Bmi Effects on Obese Senior Females in Vehicle Frontal Impact,” in ASME 2019 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2019.
- Hu, J., Reed, M.P., Rupp, J.D., Fischer, K. et al. , “Optimizing Seat Belt and Airbag Designs for Rear Seat Occupant Protection in Frontal Crashes,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-22-0004. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-22-0004.
- Fang, H., Rais-Rohani, M., Liu, Z., and Horstemeyer, M.F. , “A Comparative Study of Metamodeling Methods for Multiobjective Crashworthiness Optimization,” Computers & Structures 83.25-26(2005):2121-2136, doi:10.1016/j.compstruc.2005.02.025.
- Eppinger, R., Kuppa, S., Saul, R., and Sun, E. “Supplement: Development of Improved Injury Criteria for the Assessment of Advanced Automotive Restraint Systems: II,” 2000.
- Deb, K., Pratap, A., Agarwal, S., and Meyarivan, T.A.M.T. , “A Fast and Elitist Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm: NSGA-II,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 6(2):182-197, 2002, doi:10.1109/4235.996017.