This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Gear Shifting Indication Strategy of Eco-Driving Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The current indication strategies of gear shifting indication system for manual transmission vehicles are developed based on the gear shifting strategies of the automatic transmission vehicles. In this paper, it is found that the gear shifting frequency of automatic transmission vehicles is significantly higher than that of manual transmission vehicles based on the collected driving data of several automatic transmission and manual transmission vehicles, which increases the fatigue of drivers. Aiming at this problem, this paper proposes an interval algorithm of gear shifting indication strategy based on the fuel consumption rate of engine, which uses genetic algorithm to process the data of fuel consumption rate to find the maximum and minimum values in the interval of torque and engine speed and adopts the interval algorithm to transform the search of least fuel consumption value into the seeking of optimal interval to avoid the shift busyness caused by the sudden change of fuel consumption rate. The gear shifting tolerance is defined to avoid the shift busyness while the evaluation function values for a pair of adjacent gears are close in some working conditions. Then the model of gear shifting indication strategy is established in Matlab/Simulink and simulated under the WLTP cycle. The simulation results show that compared with the existing economical gear shifting strategies, the proposed interval algorithm of gear shifting indication strategy can effectively reduce the frequency of shifting gears without the increase of fuel consumption. Finally, a gear shifting indicator is produced and several road tests are done with a truck to verify the saving of fuel consumption for the interval algorithm of gear shifting indication strategy. The test results show that the indication strategy reduces the fuel consumption of the truck by 5% on average.
CitationHe, R. and Hu, N., "A Gear Shifting Indication Strategy of Eco-Driving Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0966, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0966.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Zhang, L., Zhang, X., Han, Z. et al. , “A Novel Multi-Parameter Coordinated Shift Control Strategy for an Automated Manual Transmission Based on Fuzzy Inference,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 231(5):684-699, 2016, doi:10.1177/0954407016662579.
- Wang, J., Wang, J., Wang, Q. et al. , “Control Rules Extraction and Parameters Optimization of Energy Management for Bus Series-Parallel AMT Hybrid Powertrain,” Journal of the Franklin Institute 355(5):2283-2312, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.jfranklin.2017.12.039.
- Miao, C., Liu, H., and Zhu, G.G. , “Three-Parameter Transmission Gear-Shifting Schedule for Improved Fuel Economy,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 232(4):521-533, 2018, doi:10.1177/0954407017703234.
- Eckert, J.J., Corrêa, F.C., Santiciolli, F.M. et al. , “Vehicle Gear Shifting Strategy Optimization with Respect to Performance and Fuel Consumption,” Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines 44(1):123-136, 2016, doi:10.1080/15397734.2015.1094669.
- Casavola, A., Prodi, G., and Rocca, G. , “Efficient Shift Strategies for Green Driving Policies,” in the 2010 American Control Conference, Baltimore, MD, June 30-July 2, 2010, doi:10.1109/ACC.2010.5530832.
- Lu, X., Li, Z., Guo, L., Gao, B. et al. , “Optimization of Gearshift MAP Based on DP for Vehicles with Automated Transmission,” Science China (Information Sciences) 61(11):247-249, 2018, doi:10.1007/s11432-017-9317-x.
- He, C.R., Qin, W.B., Ozay, N. et al. , “Optimal Gear Shift Schedule Design for Automated Vehicles: Hybrid System Based Analytical Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 26(6):1-13, 2018, doi:10.1109/TCST.2017.2747506.
- Mashadi, B., Amiri-Rad, Y., Afkar, A. et al. , “Simulation of Automobile Fuel Consumption and Emissions for Various Driver’s Manual Shifting Habits,” Journal of Central South University 21(3):1058-1066, 2014, doi:10.1007/s11771-014-2037-x.
- Moore, R.E. , Interval Analysis (Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1966), 15-18, doi:10.1007/978-1-4471-0249-6_2.
- Kearfott, R.B. , Introduction to Interval Analysis (Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Algorithm, 2009), 44-45, doi:10.1137/1.9780898717716.
- Vaccaro, A., Canizares, C.A., and Bhattacharya, K. , “A Interval Arithmetic-Based Optimization Model for Power Flow Analysis Under Interval Uncertainty,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 28(2):1179-1186, 2013, doi:10.1109/tpwrs.2012.2214405.
- Anselmi, N., Manica, L., Rocca, P. et al. , “Tolerance Analysis of Antenna Arrays through Interval Arithmetic,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 61(11):5496-5507, 2013, doi:10.1109/tap.2013.2276927.
- Ngan, H., Zhang, C., and Chen, H. , “Reactive Power Optimization Considering Wind Farms Based on an Optimal Scenario Method,” IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution 10(15):3736-3744, 2016, doi:10.1049/iet-gtd.2016.0036.
- Ahmed, A., Zhao, C.L., Han, K. et al. , “Using Design of Experiment and Genetic Algorithm to Obtain the Optimum Shift Strategy for a Real Driving Cycles,” Applied Mechanics and Materials 244:497-503, 2012, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.22.