This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of Road-Preview-Based Predictive Gear Selection on Heavy-Duty Vehicle Transmission Control Unit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The eHorizon unit enables the possibility to get information of the road ahead in a defined prediction horizon. This data, like road gradient, curve radius, velocity limitation and road class, can be used by the onboard transmission control unit (TCU) via Controller Area Network (CAN) bus. This obtained predictive road information combined with the actual driving conditions can be used to optimize the shifting strategy by a model predictive control (MPC) algorithm which intends to reduce the fuel consumption. In order to solve the optimum problem inside the MPC with less memory, a pre-optimization based dynamic programming (PODP) approach is proposed. In this paper, the predictive gear selection (PGS) strategy will be compared to a conventional automatic gear shifting strategy in a simulation environment and validated on road by implementing it on a heavy-duty truck with a 16-speed automated manual transmission (AMT).
CitationZhang, Z., Knauder, B., Ackerl, M., and Pell, J., "Validation of Road-Preview-Based Predictive Gear Selection on Heavy-Duty Vehicle Transmission Control Unit," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0962, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0962.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Varnhagen , D. Electronic Horizon: A Map as a Sensor and Predictive Control SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1945 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1945
- Hummel , R. and Lützner , J. 2017
- Hellström , E. , Fröberg , A. , and Nielsen , L. A Real-Time Fuel-Optimal Cruise Controller for Heavy Trucks Using Road Topography Information SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0008 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0008
- Hellström , E. , Ivarsson , M. , Åslund , J. , and Nielsen , L. Look-Ahead Control for Heavy Trucks to Minimize Trip Time and Fuel Consumption Control Engineering Practice 17 2 245 254 2009
- Lattemann , F. , Neiss , K. , Terwen , S. , and Connolly , T. The Predictive Cruise Control - a System to Reduce Fuel Consumption of Heavy Duty Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2616 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2616
- Ngo , D.V. Gear Shift Strategies for Automotive Transmissions Eindhoven Technische Universiteit Eindhoven 2012 10.6100/IR735458
- Ivarsson , M. , Åslund , J. , and Nielsen , L. Impacts of AMT Gear-Shifting on Fuel Optimal Look Ahead Control SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0370 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0370
- Lu , J. , Hong , S. , Sullivan , J. , Hu , G. et al. Predictive Transmission Shift Schedule for Improving Fuel Economy and Drivability Using Electronic Horizon SAE Int. J. Engines 10 2 680 688 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1092
- Xu , C. , Geyer , S. , and Fathy , H.K. Formulation and Comparison of Two Real-Time Predictive Gear Shift Algorithms for Connected/Automated Heavy-Duty Vehicles Vehicular Technology IEEE Transactions on 68 8 7498 7510 2019
- Bardsley , J.M. 2004