This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Objective Discrete Robust Optimization for Pedestrian Head Protection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Optimization design for vehicle front-end structures has proven rather essential and been extensively used to improve the vehicle performance. Nevertheless, the front-end structure needs to meet the requirement of both pedestrian safety and structural stiffness which are somewhat contradicting to each other. Furthermore, an optimal design could become less meaningful or even unacceptable when some uncertainties present. In the paper, a multi-objective discrete robust optimization (MODRO) algorithm is used to minimize the injury of head and maximize the structural stiffness involving uncertainties. MODRO algorithm is achieved by coupling grey relational analysis (GRA) and principal component analysis (PCA) with Taguchi method. The optimized result shows that the MODRO algorithm improved performance of pedestrian head injury and robustness of the vehicle front-end structure.
- Xiaojiang Lv - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Fei Lei - Hunan University
- Heping Yang - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Haiyang Zhang - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Dayong Zhou - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Pengyun Gu - Geely Automobile Research Institute
- Xiaojiang Lv - Hunan University
CitationLv, X., Lei, F., Yang, H., Zhang, H. et al., "Multi-Objective Discrete Robust Optimization for Pedestrian Head Protection," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0934, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0934.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
- Matsui, Y. and Oikawa, S. , “Situational Characteristics of Fatal Pedestrian Accidents Involving Vehicles Traveling at Low Speeds in Japan,” Traffic Injury Prevention 20:1-6, 2019.
- Han, Y., Li, Q., Wang, F., Wang, B. et al. , “Analysis of Pedestrian Kinematics and Ground Impact in Traffic Accidents Using Video Records,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 24:211-220, 2019.
- Li, G., Wang, F., Otte, D., Cai, Z., and Simms, C. , “Have Pedestrian Subsystem Tests Improved Passenger Car Front Shape?” Accident Analysis & Prevention 115:143-150, 2018.
- Nie, B. and Zhou, Q. , “Can New Passenger Cars Reduce Pedestrian Lower Extremity Injury? A Review of Geometrical Changes of Front-End Design before and after Regulatory Efforts,” Traffic Injury Prevention 17(7):712-719, 2016.
- Untaroiu, C., Shin, J., and Crandall, J. , “A Design Optimization Approach of Vehicle Hood for Pedestrian Protection,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 12(6):581-589, 2007.
- Shojaeefard, M., Najibi, A., and Ahmadabadi, M. , “Pedestrian Safety Investigation of the New Inner Structure of the Hood to Mitigate the Impact Injury of the Head,” Thin-Walled Structures 77:77-85, 2014.
- Huang, S. and Yang, J. , “Optimization of a Reversible Hood for Protecting a Pedestrian’s Head during Car Collisions,” Accident Analysis and Prevention 42:1136-1143, 2010.
- Zhao, Y., Rosala, G., Campean, I., and Day, A. , “A Response Surface Approach to Front-Car Optimization for Minimizing Pedestrian Head Injury Levels,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 15(2):143-150, 2010.
- Fang, J., Sun, G., Qiu, N., Kim, N.H., and Li, Q. , “On Design Optimization for Structural Crashworthiness and Its State of the Art,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 55(3):1091-1119, 2017.
- Lv, X., Gu, X., He, L., Zhou, D., and Liu, W. , “Reliability Design Optimization of Vehicle Front-End Structure for Pedestrian Lower Extremity Protection under Multiple Impact Cases,” Thin-Walled Structures 94:500-511, 2015.
- Lee, K.-H., Yi, J.-W., Park, J.-S., and Park, G.-J. , “An Optimization Algorithm Using Orthogonal Arrays in Discrete Design Space for Structures,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 40:121-135, 2003.
- Sun, G., Zhang, H., Fang, J., Li, G., and Li, Q. , “A New Multi-Objective Discrete Robust Optimization Algorithm for Engineering Design,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 53:602-621, 2018.
- Sun, G., Fang, J., Tian, X., Li, G., and Li, Q. , “Discrete Robust Optimization Algorithm Based on Taguchi Method for Structural Crashworthiness Design,” Expert Systems with Applications 42:4482-4492, 2015.
- Taguchi, G., Chowdhury, S., and Taguchi, S. , Robust Engineering (New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000).
- Wu, Y. , Taguchi Methods for Robust Design (New York: The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2000).
- Nalbant, M., Gokkaya, H., and Sur, G. , “Application of Taguchi Method in the Optimization of Cutting Parameters for Surface Roughness in Turning,” Materials & Design 28:1379-1385, 2007.
- Deng, J. , “Introduction to Grey Systems Theory,” The Journal of Grey System 1:1-24, 1989.