This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Full-Scale Burn Test of a 2014 Sport Utility Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Results from a full-scale vehicle burn test involving a sport utility vehicle illustrated how fire spread throughout the vehicle, how temperature distributions changed over time, and how arcing-through-char does not always occur in a vehicle fire. The fire was initiated on a grommet on the rear portion of the passenger’s side of the engine compartment. Once the temperature near the origin reached approximately 600°C, the rate of fire spread rapidly increased. Over the next 3.5 minutes, the fire spread to all locations within the engine compartment and both front tires. Although certain circuits within the vehicle’s electrical system were energized for the duration of the fire, with the battery located at the rear of the passenger compartment and the ignition switch in the “off” position, no evidence of beaded copper was observed on any of the conductors located in the engine compartment for this test. However, numerous fuses were found to have activated after the fire. The lack of visual and tactile evidence of beaded copper wires does not imply that the battery lost power early on in the fire.
CitationKnox, B., Papageorge, M., and Colwell, J., "Full-Scale Burn Test of a 2014 Sport Utility Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0925, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0925.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Colwell , J.D. Full-Scale Burn Test of a 2001 Full-Size Pickup Truck SAE Int. J. Pass. Cars - Mech. Sys. 1 2 450 466 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0214
- Colwell , J.D. and Cundy , M.E. Full-Scale Burn Test of a 1992 Compact Pick-Up Truck SAE Int. J. Pass. Cars - Mech. Sys. 1 2 430 449 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0209
- Colwell , J.D. Full-Scale Burn Test of a 1998 Compact Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0426 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0426
- Colwell , J.D. and Henry , C.D. Full-Scale Burn Test of a 2007 Cargo Van SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1403 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1403
- NFPA 921 Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations 2017
- Babrauskas Ignition Handbook Issaquah, WA Fire Science Publishers 2003
- Luo , M. Effects of Radiation on Temperature Measurement in a Fire Environment Journal of Fire Sciences 15 443 461 1997 10.1177/073490419701500602
- Carey , N.J. and Daeid , N.N. The Metallic Damage to Electrical Conductors at Fire Scenes Proceedings of the 11th International Fire Science and Engineering Conference 2007
- Hoffmann , J.M. , Hoffmann , D.J. , Kroll , E.C. , Wallace , J.W. , and Kroll , M.J. Electrical Power Cord Damage from Radiant Heat and Fire Exposure Fire Technology 37 2 129 141 2001
- Babrauskas , V. Arc Mapping: New Science or New Myth? Fire and Materials 15th International Conferences 890 904 2017