This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Deep Optimization of Catalyst Layer Composition via Data-Driven Machine Learning Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) provides a promising future low carbon automotive powertrain solution. The catalyst layer (CL) is its core component which directly influences the output performance. PEMFC performance can be greatly improved by the effective optimization of CL composition. This work demonstrates a deep optimization of CL composition for improving the PEMFC performance, including the platinum (Pt) loading, Pt percentage of carbon-supported Pt and ionomer to carbon ratio of the anode and the cathode,. The simulation results by a PEMFC three-dimensional (3D) computation fluid dynamics (CFD) model coupled with the CL agglomerate model is used to train the artificial neural network (ANN) which can efficiently predict the current density under different CL composition. Squared correlation coefficient (R-square) and mean percentage error in the training set and validation set are 0.9867, 0.2635% and 0.9543, 1.1275%, respectively. It illustrates that the well-trained ANN has a comparable accuracy with the physical model. Then, the ANN is utilized as the fitness function in the genetic algorithm (GA) to search the optimal CL composition for maximizing the current density. For verification, the optimal solution of CL composition is returned to the physical model and the comparison between the ANN predicted current density and the physical model simulated current density is provided. The percentage error is only 2.418% which can illustrate the validity of this work.
CitationWang, B., Xie, B., Xuan, J., Gu, W. et al., "Deep Optimization of Catalyst Layer Composition via Data-Driven Machine Learning Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0859, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0859.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Hasegawa, T., Imanishi, H., Nada, M., and Ikogi, Y. , “Development of the Fuel Cell System in the Mirai FCV,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1185, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1185.
- Itoga, M., Hamada, S., Mizuno, S., Nishiumi, H. et al., “Development of Fuel Cell Stack for New FCV,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0529, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0529.
- Konno, N., Mizuno, S., Nakaji, H., and Ishikawa, Y. , “Development of Compact and High-Performance Fuel Cell Stack,” SAE Int. J. Alt. Power 4(1):123-129, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1175.
- Wang, B., Chen, W., Pan, F., Wu, S. et al. , “A Dot Matrix and Sloping Baffle Cathode Flow Field of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell,” Journal of Power Sources 434:226741, 2019.
- Jiao, K. and Li, X. , “Water Transport in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 37(3):221-291, 2011.
- Zhao, J., Ozden, A., Shahgaldi, S., Alaefour, I.E. et al. , “Effect of Pt Loading and Catalyst Type on the Pore Structure of Porous Electrodes in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cells,” Energy 150:69-76, 2018.
- Shahgaldi, S., Ozden, A., Li, X., and Hamdullahpur, F. , “Cathode Catalyst Layer Design with Gradients of Ionomer Distribution for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” Energy Conversion and Management 171:1476-1486, 2018.
- Chen, L., Kang, Q., and Tao, W. , “Pore-Scale Study of Reactive Transport Processes in Catalyst Layer Agglomerates of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” Electrochimica Acta 306:454-465, 2019.
- Li, S., Yuan, J., Xie, G., and Sundén, B. , “Effects of Agglomerate Model Parameters on Transport Characterization and Performance of PEM Fuel Cells,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43(17):8451-8463, 2018.
- Xie, B., Zhang, G., Xuan, J., and Jiao, K. , “Three-Dimensional Multi-Phase Model of PEM Fuel Cell Coupled with Improved Agglomerate Sub-Model of Catalyst Layer,” Energy Conversion and Management 199:112051, 2019.
- Owejan, J.P., Owejan, J.E., and Wenbin, G. , “Impact of Platinum Loading and Catalyst Layer Structure on PEMFC Performance,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society 160(8):F824-F833, 2013.
- https://uk.mathworks.com/help/deeplearning/ref/feedforwardnet.html, excess on October 16, 2019.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm, excess on October 16, 2019.
- Houck, C.R., Joines, J., and Kay, M.G. , “A Genetic Algorithm for Function Optimization: a Matlab Implementation,” Ncsu-ie tr 95:1-10, 1995.