This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of an Active Thermal Coating on Efficiency and Emissions from a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study looked into the application of active thermal coatings on the surfaces of the combustion chamber as a method of improving the thermal efficiency of internal combustion engines. The active thermal coating was applied to a production aluminium piston and its performance was compared against a reference aluminium piston on a single-cylinder diesel engine. The two pistons were tested over a wide range of speed/load conditions and the effects of EGR and combustion phasing on engine performance and tailpipe emissions were also investigated. A detailed energy balance approach was employed to study the thermal behaviour of the active thermal coating. In general, improvements in indicated specific fuel consumption were not statistically significant for the coated piston over the whole test matrix. Mean exhaust temperature showed a marginal increase with the coated piston of up to 6 °C. However, the normalised exhaust enthalpy showed a reduction (apart from the higher speed/load conditions when no EGR was applied). Energy transfer to the coolant was reduced by as much as 1.5 percentage points, in agreement with the expected reduction in piston heat transfer, across all operating conditions. Finally, soot emissions were increased with the coated piston, with the biggest differences between the coated and non-coated pistons observed at the lower speed/load conditions.
CitationPapaioannou, N., Leach, F., Davy, M., and Gilchrist, R., "The Effect of an Active Thermal Coating on Efficiency and Emissions from a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0807, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0807.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (McGraw-Hill, 1988).
- Kamo, R. , “Adiabatic Diesel-Engine Technology in Future Transportation,” Energy 12(10):1073-1080, 1987.
- Osawa, K., Kamo, R., and Valdmanis, E. , “Performance of Thin Thermal Barrier Coating on Small Aluminum Block Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 910461, 1991. https://doi.org/10.4271/910461.
- Mahle , Pistons and Engine Testing, Second Edition, ATZ/MTZ-Fachbuch (Springer Vieweg, 2016).
- Alkidas, A.C. and Cole, R.M. , “The Distribution of Heat Rejection from a Single-Cylinder Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine,” SAE Transactions 90:2936-2948, 1981. http://www.jstor.org/stable/44643997.
- Jaichandar, S. and Tamilporai, P. , “Low Heat Rejection Engines - An Overview,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0405, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0405.
- Wakisaka, Y., Inayoshi, M., Fukui, K., Kosaka, H. et al. , “Reduction of Heat Loss and Improvement of Thermal Efficiency by Application of “Temperature Swing” Insulation to Direct-Injection Diesel Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1449-1459, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0661.
- Kawaguchi, A., Iguma, H., Yamashita, H., Takada, N. et al. , “Thermo-Swing Wall Insulation Technology; − A Novel Heat Loss Reduction Approach on Engine Combustion Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2333, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2333.
- Kosaka, H., Wakisaka, Y., Nomura, Y., Hotta, Y. et al. , “Concept of “Temperature Swing Heat Insulation” in Combustion Chamber Walls, and Appropriate Thermo-Physical Properties for Heat Insulation Coat,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):142-149, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0274.
- Somhorst, J., Uczak De Goes, W., Oevermann, M., and Bovo, M. , “Experimental Evaluation of Novel Thermal Barrier Coatings in a Single Cylinder Light Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0062, 2019. https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0062.
- Andrie, M., Kokjohn, S., Paliwal, S., Kamo, L. et al. , “Low Heat Capacitance Thermal Barrier Coatings for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0228, 2019. https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0228.
- Caputo, S., Millo, F., Cifali, G., and Pesce, F. , “Numerical Investigation on the Effects of Different Thermal Insulation Strategies for a Passenger Car Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(4):2154-2165, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0021.
- Thibblin, A. and Olofsson, U. , “A Study of Suspension Plasma-Sprayed Insulated Pistons Evaluated in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Engine Research, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/1468087419879530.
- Beardsley, M., Happoldt, P., Kelley, K., Rejda, E. et al. , “Thermal Barrier Coatings for Low Emission, High Efficiency Diesel Engine Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2255, 1999. https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2255.
- Andruskiewicz, P., Najt, P., Durrett, R., and Payri, R. , “Assessing the Capability of Conventional In-Cylinder Insulation Materials in Achieving Temperature Swing Engine Performance Benefits,” International Journal of Engine Research 19(6):599-612, August 2018, doi:10.1177/1468087417729254.
- Uchida, N. and Osada, H. , “A New Piston Insulation Concept for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines to Reduce Heat Loss from the Wall,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5):2565-2574, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0161.
- Leach, F., Ismail, R., and Davy, M. , “Engine-Out Emissions from a Modern High Speed Diesel Engine - The Importance of Nozzle Tip Protrusion,” Applied Energy 226:340-352, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.05.117.
- Papaioannou, N., Leach, F., and Davy, M. , “Thermal Analysis of Steel and Aluminium Pistons for an HSDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0546, 2019. https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0546.
- Leach, F., Ismail, R., Davy, M., Weall, A. et al. , “Comparing the Effect of Fuel/Air Interactions in a Modern High-Speed Light-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0075, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0075.
- Papaioannou, N., Leach, F.C., Davy, M.H., Weall, A., and Cooper, B. , “Evaluation of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Techniques on a High-Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine Using First Law Analysis,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 233(3):710-726, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407017749110.
- AVL CONCERTO , in “Application Notes,” 2015.
- Celik, N. , “Effects of the Surface Roughness on Heat Transfer of Perpendicularly Impinging Co-Axial Jet,” Heat and Mass Transfer 47(10):1209-1217, 2011.
- Leach, F. et al. , “The Effect of a Stepped Lip Piston Design on Performance and Emissions from a High-Speed Diesel Engine,” Applied Energy 215:679-689, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.02.076.
- Ladommatos, N., Xiao, Z., and Zhao, H. , “The Effect of Piston Bowl Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Emissions,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 219(3):371-388, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1243/095440705X6550.
- Papaioannou, N., Leach, F., and Davy, M. , “Effect of Thermocouple Size on the Measurement of Exhaust Gas Temperature in Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1765, 2018. https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1765.