This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Dual Fuel Engine Fueled with Used Cooking Oil Biodiesel and Ethanol-an Experimental Study on Performance and Combustion Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper investigates the performance and combustion characteristics of a compression ignition engine (CI engine) fueled with Used Cooking Oil Biodiesel (UCOB) and ethanol in dual fuel mode. In this study, UCOB was injected as the main fuel through a conventional mechanical fuel injection system. Various mass flow rates of ethanol were inducted as primary fuel through the engine intake manifold using a separate fuel injection system. Mass flow rates of ethanol were metered by an electronic control circuit. The engine test was conducted under different load conditions from no load to full load in a fully instrumented direct injection, water-cooled compression ignition engine. The results indicated that the dual fuel engine produced higher brake thermal efficiency, cylinder pressure, heat release rate with lower specific fuel consumption at a higher load condition. However, it was found that combustion characteristics improved marginally at the lower load conditions.
- Ramanathan Velmurugan - Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
- Jaikumar Mayakrishnan - Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
- Vijayabalan Palanimuthu - Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
- Sasikumar Nandagopal - Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
- Sangeethkumar Elumalai - Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
- Shridhar Anaimuthu - Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
- Vamshidhar Busireddy - Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science
CitationVelmurugan, R., Mayakrishnan, J., Palanimuthu, V., Nandagopal, S. et al., "Development of Dual Fuel Engine Fueled with Used Cooking Oil Biodiesel and Ethanol-an Experimental Study on Performance and Combustion Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0803, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Jamuwa, D.K., Sharma, D., and Soni, S.L. , “Experimental Investigation of Performance, Exhaust Emission and Combustion Parameters of Stationary Compression Ignition Engine Using Ethanol Fumigation in Dual Fuel Mode,” Energy Conversion and Management 115:221-231, 2016.
- Banapurmath, N.R. and Tewari, P.G. , “Comparative Performance Studies of a 4-stroke CI Engine Operated on Dual Fuel Mode with Producer Gas and Honge Oil and Its Methyl Ester (HOME) with and without Carburetor,” Renewable Energy 34(4):1009-1015, 2009.
- Bora, B.J., Saha, U.K., Chatterjee, S., and Veer, V. , “Effect of Compression Ratio on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine Run on Raw Biogas,” Energy Conversion and Management 87:1000-1009, 2014.
- Ambarita, H. , “Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Small Diesel Engine Run in Dual-Fuel (Diesel-Biogas) Mode,” Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 10:179-191, 2017.
- Mohsin, R., Majid, Z.A., Shihnan, A.H., Nasri, N.S., and Sharer, Z. , “Effect of Biodiesel Blends on Engine Performance and Exhaust Emission for Diesel Dual Fuel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 88:821-828, 2014.
- Jamuwa, D.K., Sharma, D., and Soni, S.L. , “Experimental Investigation of Performance, Exhaust Emission and Combustion Parameters of Compression Ignition Engine with Varying Ethanol Energy Fractions,” Energy 127:544-557, 2017.
- Tarabet, L., Lounici, M.S., Loubar, K., Khiari, K. et al. , “Hydrogen Supplemented Natural Gas Effect on a DI Diesel Engine Operating under Dual Fuel Mode with a Biodiesel Pilot Fuel,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43(11):5961-5971, 2018.
- Paul, A., Panua, R.S., Debroy, D., and Bose, P.K. , “Effect of Compressed Natural Gas Dual Fuel Operation with Diesel and Pongamia Pinnata Methyl Ester(PPME) as Pilot Fuels on Performance and Emission Characteristics of a CI (Compression Ignition) Engine,” Energy 68:495-509.
- An, H., Yang, W.M., Maghbouli, A., Li, J. et al. , “Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Biodiesel Derived from Waste Cooking Oils,” Applied Energy 112:493-499, 2013.
- Gopal, K.n., Pal, A., Sharma, S., Samanchi, C. et al. , “Investigation of Emissions and Combustion Characteristics of a CI Engine Fueled with Waste Cooking Oil Methyl Ester and Diesel Blends,” Alexandria Engineering Journal 53(2):281-287, 2014.
- Kalam, M.A., Masjuki, H.H., Jayed, M.H., and Liaquat, A.M. , “Emission and Performance Characteristics of an Indirect Ignition Diesel Engine Fuelled with Waste Cooking Oil,” Energy, 1 36:397-402, 2011.
- Tamilselvan, P., Nallusamy, N., and Rajkumar, S. , “A Comprehensive Review on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Biodiesel Fuelled Diesel Engines,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 79:1134-1159, 2017.
- Naima, K. and Liazid, A. , “Waste Oils as Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engine: A Review,” Journal of Petroleum Technology and Alternative Fuels 30-43, 2013.
- Dubey, P. and Gupta, R. , “Influences of Dual Bio-Fuel (Jatropha Biodiesel and Turpentine Oil) on Single Cylinder Variable Compression Ratio Diesel Engine,” Renewable Energy 115:1294-1302, 2018.
- Pugazhvadivu, M. and Jeyachandran, K. , “Investigations on the Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using Preheated Waste Frying Oil as Fuel,” Renewable Energy 30(14):2189-2202, 2005.
- Akbarian, E. and Najafi, B. , “A Novel Fuel Containing Glycerol Triacetate Additive, Biodiesel and Diesel Blends to Improve Dual-Fuelled Diesel Engines Performance and Exhaust Emissions,” Fuel 236:666-676, 2019.
- Bhuiya, M., Rasul, M., Khan, M., and Ashwath, N. , “Performance and Emission Characteristics of Binary Mixture of Poppy and Waste Cooking Biodiesel,” Energy Procedia 110:523-528, 2017.
- Abedin, M.J., Imran, A., Masjuki, H.H., Kalam, M.A. et al. , “An Overview on Comparative Engine Performance and Emission Characteristics of Different Techniques Involved in Diesel Engine as Dual-Fuel Engine Operation,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 60:306-316, 2016.
- Rosha, P., Dhir, A., and Mohapatra, S.K. , “Influence of Gaseous Fuel Induction on the Various Engine Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 82:3333-3349, 2018.
- Liaquat, A.M., Masjuki, H.H., Kalam, M.A., Fattah, I.M.R. et al. , “Effect of Coconut Biodiesel Blended Fuels on Engine Performance and Emission Characteristics,” Procedia Engineering 56:583-590, 2013.
- Raja, S., Mayakrishnan, J., Nandagopal, S., Elumalai, S., and Velmurugan, R. , “Comparative Study on Smoke Emission Control Strategies of a Variable Compression Ratio Engine Fueled with Waste Cooking Oil,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0908, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0908.