This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Water Injection System Application in a Mild Hybrid Powertrain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The potential of 48V Mild Hybrid is promising in meeting the present and future CO2 legislations. There are various system layouts for 48V hybrid system including P0, P1, P2. In this paper, P2 architecture is used to investigate the effects of water injection benefits in a mild hybrid system. Electrification of the conventional powertrain uses the benefits of an electric drive in the low load-low speed region where the conventional SI engine is least efficient and as the load demand increases the IC Engine is used in its more efficient operating region.
Engine downsizing and forced induction trend is popular in the hybrid system architecture. However, the engine efficiency is limited by combustion knocking at higher loads thus ignition retard is used to avoid knocking and fuel enrichment becomes must to operate the engine at MBT (Maximum Brake Torque) timing; in turn neutralizing the benefits of fuel savings by electrification. Water injection suppresses engine knocking and enables operating at stoichiometric air-fuel ratio. In addition to that, the injection of water reduces flame temperature, giving room to ignition advance towards MBT timing. Ignition timing close to MBT results in higher thermal efficiency.
Operating a downsized engine installed with water injection in a hybrid powertrain architecture can be beneficial in exploiting both technologies and cumulatively a high efficiency powertrain can be produced. A 48V compact passenger car simulation model, developed in GT-suite, was used to simulate the fuel efficiency using experimental results. A 1.5 L, downsized-turbocharged SI-engine was operated with and without water addition during the experiments. Fuel consumption benefits of approximately 0.5 to 1% were observed in stationary to aggressive drive cycles.
CitationKhatri, J. and Koopmans, L., "Water Injection System Application in a Mild Hybrid Powertrain," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0798, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0798.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- The International Council on Clean Transportation , “EU CO2 Emission Standards for Passenger Cars and Light-Commercial Vehicles,” ICCT Policy Update, Jan. 2014.
- Atkins, M. and Koch, C. , “A Well-to-Wheel Comparison of Several Powertrain Technologies,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0081, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0081.
- Bandel, W., Fraidl, G., Kapus, P., Sikinger, H. et al. , “The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-Low Emission,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1266.
- Bassett, M., Hall, J., Cains, T., Underwood, M. et al. , “Dynamic Downsizing Gasoline Demonstrator,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):884-891, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0646. Erratum published in SAE Int. J. Engines 11(5):613, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0646.01.
- Kawamoto, N., Naiki, K., Kawai, T., Shikida, T. et al. , “Development of New 1.8-Liter Engine for Hybrid Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1061, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1061.
- Khatri, J., Denbratt, I., Dahlander, P., and Koopmans, L. , “Water Injection Benefits in a 3-Cylinder Downsized SI-Engine,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 1(1):236-248, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0034.
- Archer, G. , “Manipulation of Fuel Economy Test Results by Carmakers: Further Evidence, Costs and Solutions,” Transport & Environment, Nov. 2014.
- BMW Group , “Drive System for the BMW i8 Wins International Engine of the Year Award for the Fourth Time,” https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0281847EN/drive-system-for-the-bmw-i8-wins-international-engine-of-the-year-award-for-the-fourth-time?language=en, accessed October 2019.
- Subaru B5 TPH , “Exhibition outlines of the 39th Tokyo Motor Show 2005,” PDF, Press release, Subaru Corporation, September 28, 2005, retrieved October 2019.
- Millo, F., Badami, M., Ferraro, C., Lavarino, G. et al. , “A Comparison between Different Hybrid Powertrain Solutions for an European Mid-Size Passenger Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0818, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0818.
- Kelly, J., Scanes, P., and Bloore, P. , “Specification and Design of a Switched Reluctance 48 V Belt Integrated Starter Generator (B-ISG) for Mild Hybrid Passenger Car Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1890, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1890.
- Vallur, A., Khairate, Y., and Awate, C. , “Prescriptive Modeling, Simulation and Performance Analysis of Mild Hybrid Vehicle and Component Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0010, 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0010.
- Melaika, M., Mamikoglu, S., and Dahlander, P. , “48V Mild-Hybrid Architecture Types, Fuels and Power Levels Needed to Achieve 75g CO2/Km,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0366, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0366.
- King, J., Barker, L., Turner, J., and Martin, J. , “SuperGen - A Novel Low Costs Electro-Mechanical Mild Hybrid and Boosting System for Engine Efficiency Enhancements,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0682, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0682.
- Eaton, D. , “Cruising Economy by Use of Water Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 460198, 1946, https://doi.org/10.4271/460198.
- Rowe, M.R. and Ladd, G.T. , “Water Injection for Aircraft Engines,” SAE Transactions 54:26-44, 1946. http://www.jstor.org/stable/44548241.
- Christopher, J. , Race for Hitler’s X-Planes: Britain’s 1945 Mission to Capture Secret Luftwaffe Technology (The History Press, 2012).
- United Aircraft Corporation , “The Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Story,” 1952.
- Weatherford, W. and Quillian, R. , “Total Cooling of Piston Engines by Direct Water Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 700886, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700886.
- Battistoni, M., Grimaldi, C., Cruccolini, V., Discepoli, G. et al. , “Assessment of Port Water Injection Strategies to Control Knock in a GDI Engine through Multi-Cycle CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0034, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0034.
- BMW Group , “Official Car of MotoGP™: BMW M Introduces Innovative Technology for the 2015 Season,” https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0210663EN/%E2%80%9Cofficial-car-of-motogp%E2%84%A2%E2%80%9D:-bmw-m-introduces-innovative-technology-for-the-2015-season, accessed October 2019.
- Durst, B., Unterweger, G., Rubbert, S., Witt, A. et al. , “Thermodynamic Effects of Water Injection on Otto Cycle Engines with Different Water Injection Systems,” in 15th Conference “The Working Process of the Internal Combustion Engine”, 2015.
- Pauer, T., Frohnmaier, M., Walther, J., Schenk, P. et al. , “Optimization of Gasoline Engines by Water Injection,” in 37th International Vienna Motor Symposium, 2016.
- Boretti, A. , “Water Injection in Directly Injected Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engines,” Applied Thermal Engineering 52(1):62-68, 2013.
- Netzer, C., Franken, T., Seidel, L., Lehtiniemi, H. et al. , “Numerical Analysis of the Impact of Water Injection on Combustion and Thermodynamics in a Gasoline Engine Using Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):1151-1166, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0200.
- Nande, A., Wallner, T., and Naber, J. , “Influence of Water Injection on Performance and Emissions of a Direct-Injection Hydrogen Research Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2377, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2377.
- Brusca, S. and Lanzafame, R. , “Evaluation of the Effects of Water Injection in a Single Cylinder CFR Cetane Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2012, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2012.
- Björnsson, H., Adkin, P., Johannesson, T., Johansson, K. et al. , “The New Volvo Drive-E 3-Cylinder Engines,” in 25th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, Aachen, 2016.
- Mamikoglu, S. and Dahlander, P. , “Modelling of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrains - Factors that Impact Accuracy of CO₂ Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0080, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0080.
- DieselNet , “Emission Standards. Summary of Worldwide Engine and Vehicle Emission Standards,” Available from DieselNet, https://dieselnet.com/, accessed Oct. 2019.