This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of In-Cylinder Flow and Cycle-to-Cycle Flow Variations in a Small Spark-Ignition Engine at Different Throttle Openings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Flow variations from one cycle to the next significantly influence the mixture formation and combustion processes in engines. Therefore, it is important to understand the fluid motion and its cycle-to-cycle variations (CCVs) inside the engine cylinder. Researchers have generally investigated the cycle-to-cycle flow variations in moderate- to large-sized engines. In the present work, we have performed the flow measurement and analysis in a small spark-ignition engine. Experiments are conducted in an optically accessible, single-cylinder, port-fuel-injection engine with displacement volume of 110 cm3 at different throttle openings (i.e. 50% and WOT) using particle image velocimetry. Images are captured at different crank angle positions during both intake and compression strokes over a tumble measurement plane, bisecting the intake and exhaust valves and passing through the cylinder axis. The histograms of vorticity are used as a metric for the quantification of cycle-to-cycle flow variations. It is found that for wide-open (i.e. 100%) throttle, cycle-to-cycle variations first increased from 76 CAD (after TDC of intake) to a maximum value at about 118 CAD, and then decreased during the late intake and early compression to a minimum at about 232 CAD for measured crank angle degrees. Results also showed that cycle-to-cycle variations for 50% and wide-open throttle conditions were comparable for all measured CADs. This similarity between 50% and WOT conditions based on histograms of vorticity was found to be consistent with turbulent kinetic energy (TKE) results. In addition, CFD simulations are also performed using CONVERGE software, and a great resemblance is observed between CFD simulations and experimental results for both 50% and WOT conditions.
CitationAlam, A., Mittal, M., and Lakshminarasimhan, V., "Analysis of In-Cylinder Flow and Cycle-to-Cycle Flow Variations in a Small Spark-Ignition Engine at Different Throttle Openings," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0793, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0793.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Kim, H. and Lee, K.J. , “An Investigation on the Fuel Behavior for a PFI Type Motorcycle Engine,” Mech Sci Technol 23:2507, 2009, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-009-0714-8.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M., and Harrington, D. , “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 970627, 1997, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/970627.
- Zhao, H. , “Overview of Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” 2010, https://doi.org/10.1533/9781845697327.1.
- Iwamoto, Y., Noma, K., Nakayama, O., Yamauchi, T. et al. , “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970541, 1997, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/970541.
- Mendez, S. and Thirouard, B. , “Using Multiple Injection Strategies in Diesel Combustion: Potential to Improve Emissions, Noise and Fuel Economy Trade-Off in Low CR Engines,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):662-674, 2009, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1329.
- Sick, V. , “High Speed Imaging in Fundamental and Applied Combustion Research,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 34:3509-3530, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2012.08.012.
- Sick, V., Drake, M.C., and Fansler, T.D. , “High-Speed Imaging for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine Research and Development,” Experiments in Fluids 49:937-947, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-010-0891-3.
- Heywood, J.B. , “Fluid Motion within the Cylinder of Internal Combustion Engines - The 1986 Freeman Scholar Lecture,” ASME. J. Fluids Eng. 109(1):3-35, 1987, doi:https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3242612.
- Arcoumanis, C. and Whitelaw, J.H. , “Fluid Mechanics of Internal Combustion Engines - A Review,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 201(1):57-74, 1987 https://doi.org/10.1243/PIME_PROC_1987_201_087_02.
- Nagao, A. and Tanaka, K. , “The Effect of Swirl Control on Combustion Improvement of Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 834054, 1983, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/834054.
- Gorczakowski, A. and Jarosinski, J. , “The Phenomena of Flame Propagation in a Cylindrical Combustion Chamber with a Swirling Mixture,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0195, 2000, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0195.
- Thomas, A. , “Flame Development in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Combustion and Flame 50:305-322, 1983, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-2180(83)90072-X.
- Pachernegg, S. , “Heat Flow in Engine Pistons,” SAE Technical Paper 670928, 1967, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/670928.
- Hall, M. , “The Influence of Fluid Motion on Flame Kernel Development and Cyclic Variation in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 890991, 1989, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/890991.
- Young, M.B. , “Cyclic Dispersion - Some Quantitative Cause-and-Effect Relationships,” SAE Technical Paper 800459, 1980, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/800459.
- Reuss, D.L., Adrian, R., Landreth, C.C., French, D.T. et al. , “Instantaneous Planar Measurements of Velocity and Large-Scale Vorticity and Strain Rate in an Engine Using Particle-Image Velocimetry,” SAE Technical Paper 890616, 1989, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/890616.
- Mittal, M., Sadr, R., Schock, H., Fedewa, A. et al. , “In-Cylinder Engine Flow Measurement Using Stereoscopic Molecular Tagging Velocimetry (SMTV),” Exp. Fluids 46:277-284, 2009, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-008-0557-6.
- Vedula, R., Mittal, M., and Schock, H.J. , “Molecular Tagging Velocimetry and Its Application to In-Cylinder Flow Measurements,” ASME. J. Fluids Eng. 135(12):121203, 2013, doi:https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4025170.
- Bicen, A.F., Vafidis, C., and Whitelaw, J.H. , “Steady and Unsteady Airflow through the Intake Valve of a Reciprocating Engine,” ASME. J. Fluids Eng. 107(3):413-420, 1985, doi:https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3242502.
- Hall, M. and Bracco, F. , “A Study of Velocities and Turbulence Intensities Measured in Firing and Motored Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 870453, 1987, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/870453.
- Marc, D., Boree, J., Bazile, R., and Charnay, G. , “Tumbling Vortex Flow in a Model Square Piston Compression Machine: PIV and LDV Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 972834, 1997, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/972834.
- Adrian, R.J. , “Twenty years of particle image velocimetry,” Experiments in Fluids 39:159-169, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-005-0991-7.
- Wieneke, B. , “Stereo-PIV Using Self-Calibration on Particle Images,” Experiments in Fluids 39:267-280, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-005-0962-z.
- Elsinga, G.E., Wieneke, B., Scarano, F., and Schröder, A. , “Tomographic 3D-PIV and Applications,” in: Particle Image Velocimetry. Topics in Applied Physics, vol. 112 (Berlin, Springer, 2007).
- Abraham, P., Reuss, D., and Sick, V. , “High-Speed Particle Image Velocimetry Study of In-Cylinder Flows with Improved Dynamic Range,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0542, 2013, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0542.
- Wang, Y., Hung, D.L.S., Zhuang, H., and Xu, M. , “Cycle-to-Cycle Analysis of Swirl Flow Fields inside a Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine Cylinder Using High-Speed Time-Resolved Particle Image Velocimetry,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0637, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0637.
- Müller, S.H.R., Böhm, B., Gleißner, M., Grzeszik, R. et al. , “Flow Field Measurements in an Optically Accessible, Direct-Injection Spray-Guided Internal Combustion Engine Using High-Speed PIV,” Experiments in Fluids 48:281-290, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-009-0742-2.
- Stansfield, P., Wigley, G., Justham, T., Catto, J. et al. , “PIV Analysis of In-Cylinder Flow Structures over a Range of Realistic Engine Speeds,” Experiments in Fluids 43:135-146, 2007, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-007-0335-x.
- da Costa, R.B.R., Braga, R.M., Júnior, C.A.G., Valle, R.M. et al. , “PIV Measurements and Numerical Analysis of In-Cylinder Tumble Flow in a Motored Engine,” J. Braz. Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng. 39:3931-3945, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-017-0878-6.
- Huang, R.F., Huang, C.W., Chang, S.B., Yang, H.S. et al. , “Topological Flow Evolutions In-Cylinder of a Motored Engine during Intake and Compression Strokes,” Journal of Fluids and Structures 20:105-127, 2005, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2004.09.002.
- Haworth, D., El Tahry, S., Huebler, M., and Chang, S. , “Multidimensional Port-and-Cylinder Flow Calculations for Two- and Four-Valve-Per-Cylinder Engines: Influence of Intake Configuration on Flow Structure,” SAE Technical Paper 900257, 1990, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/900257.
- Shinde, G., Mittal, M., and Lakshminarasimhan, V. , “A Study of Cycle-to-Cycle Flow Variations in a Small Spark-Ignition Engine at Low Throttle Opening,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0035, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0035.
- Ismailov, M.M., Schock, H.J., and Fedewa, A.M. , “Gaseous Flow Measurements in an Internal Combustion Engine Assembly Using Molecular Tagging Velocimetry,” Experiments in Fluids 41:57-65, 2006, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-006-0150-9.
- Tsiogkas, V.D., Chraniotis, A., Kolokotronis, D., and Tourlidakis, A. , “In-Cylinder Flow Measurements in a Transparent Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0099, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0099.
- Garg, S., Mittal, M., Sahu, S., and Lakshminarasimhan, V. , “PLIF Imaging of Fuel Distribution in a Small PFI Spark-Ignition Engine,” in 12th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion (ASPACC-2019), Fukuoka, Japan, Paper Number-1179, 2019.
- PCO.pixelfly usb User Manual V2.13 © PCO AG, Germany.
- Duncan, J., Dabiri, D., Hove, J., and Gharib, M. , “Universal Outlier Detection for Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) and Particle Tracking Velocimetry (PTV) Data,” Meas Sci Technol. 21, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/21/5/057002.
- Mittal, M. and Schock, H.J. , “A Study of Cycle-to-Cycle Variations and the Influence of Charge Motion Control on In-Cylinder Flow in an IC Engine,” ASME. J. Fluids Eng. 132(5):051107, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4001617.
- Schock, H., Shen, Y., Timm, E., Stuecken, T. et al. , “The Measurement and Control of Cyclic Variations of Flow in a Piston Cylinder Assembly, 2003,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1357, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1357.
- Li, Y., Zhao, H., Peng, Z., and Ladommatos, N. , “Particle Image Velocimetry Measurement of In-Cylinder Flow in Internal Combustion Engines-Experiment and Flow Structure Analysis,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 216(1):65-81, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.1243/0954407021528913.
- CONVERGE 2.3.0 Theory Manual, Convergent Science.
- Rathinam, B., Ravet, F., Servant, C., Delahaye, L. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Tumble Motion on an Optical Single Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1698, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1698.
- Brunt, M. and Pond, C. , “Evaluation of Techniques for Absolute Cylinder Pressure Correction,” SAE Technical Paper 970036, 1997, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/970036.
- Chryssakis, A., Assanis, N., Kook, S., and Bae, C. , “Effect of Multiple Injections on Fuel-Air Mixing and Soot Formation in Diesel Combustion Using Direct Flame Visualization and CFD Techniques,” in Proceedings of the ASME 2005 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference. ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference, Apr. 5-7, 2005, 171-180, https://doi.org/10.1115/ICES2005-1016.
- Towers, D.P. and Towers, C. , “Cyclic Variability Measurements of In-Cylinder Engine Flows Using High-Speed Particle Image Velocimetry,” Measurement Science and Technology 15:1917, 2004, doi:https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/15/9/032.